myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exxon in California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On March 27, 2010, in the Global Cooling thread, mrgybe said:

Quote:
.. I don't trust the people who are most visible (Pachauri, Gore). I don't need a raft of reviewed studies to form that opinion...You in the scientific community need to do a better job persuading the people that will have to pay for the "fixes" that this is something we really need to be concerned about. You have not done that to my satisfaction or to the satisfaction of an increasingly large percentage of the population.

He goes on more on page 29 of the thread. As I said, bragging about the effectiveness of denier propaganda.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
So it is with the carbon industry--any lie to prevent loss of market share is ok. And it was mrgybe who bragged about the effectiveness of their PR campaign in convincing the public that global warming was not an important issue.

Poor old fella. Flailing about once again. Wasted hours scouring the forum for the smoking gun, but the best he can come up with is a 6 year old quote that doesn't even remotely support his complete fabrication. Don't trust anything he says.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
To be fair to climate scientists, in the 1970s they were too busy lining up grant money and organizing conferences on the impending ice age, to worry about the flat earthers at a grubby oil company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kGB5MMIAVA

Next thing you know it will be snowing in the desert....oops, too late:

http://snowbrains.com/first-sahara-desert-snow-in-37-years-photo-tour/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We, in our God forsaken little island, are currently in the grip of another Arctic spell which some excitable newspapers are claiming could be the coldest on record. I wonder if we so called deniers should adopt the questionable tactics and wishful thinking exaggerations of the twitterpated global warming industry?

The exaggerator in chief grasps at every weather anomaly to claim that whole cities will be engulfed in tidal waves (50/100 feet high - think of a number and double it) as the Greenland ice fields collapse into the steaming Arctic ocean. Those who don't actually drown will be squashed to death by the decaying corpses of all those poor obliterated Polar Bears. (we once had a shower of Brussels sprouts along our South coast, caused by some freak wind storm over the continent, so I see nothing improbable in the above.)

So to us deniers, this cold spell is proof positive that half the worlds population is in imminent danger of obliteration by impossible to stop, huge (think of a number) advancing glaciers, carrying all before them. I really must write a letter (using my best fountain pen) to that nice Mr Putin, begging him not to send the whole of the Russian Science Academy to the nearest gulag for re-education, when they had been right along.

So you see, those evil black hatted (and Mr Gybe) oil barons were only thinking of the good for mankind, and to keep the wheels of civilisation turning (literally) and the world nice and warm. I'm glad I shan't be around long enough to hear the wailing and knashing of teeth from the rejected warmers, though their sorrow will not be for the fate of mankind, but for their total loss of face and credibilty in getting it all so wrong!
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac said:
Quote:
Exxon lied to everybody, including their stockholders.

OK, Exxon lied, but as I suggested earlier, global warming resulting from fossil fuels was not a new concept. Plus, since Exxon plays a relatively small roll in the world production of oil, dumping on them exclusively is out of line.

Quote:
300 BC - Theophrastus, a student of Greek philosopher Aristotle, documents that human activity can affect climate. He observes that drainage of marshes cools an area around Thessaly and that clearing of forests near Philippi warms the climate.

17th century - Flemish scientist Jan Baptista van Helmont discovers that carbon dioxide is given off by burning charcoal.

18th century - The Industrial Revolution starts, bringing rising use of fossil fuels.

1820s - French mathematician Jean-Baptiste Joseph Fourier suggests something in the atmosphere is keeping the world warmer than it would otherwise be, a hint at the greenhouse effect.

1830s - Swiss naturalist Louis Agassiz presents evidence of past changes in Alpine glaciers, pointing to ancient Ice Ages and showing that the climate has not always been stable.

1860s - Irish scientist John Tyndall shows that molecules of gases such as water vapour and carbon dioxide trap heat. He wrote that changes "could have produced all the mutations of climate which the researches of geologists reveal."

1896 - Swedish chemist Svante Arrhenius becomes the first to quantify carbon dioxide's role in keeping the planet warm. He later concluded that burning of coal could cause a "noticeable increase" in carbon levels over centuries.

1950s - U.S. scientist Charles Keeling sets up stations to measure carbon dioxide concentrations in the atmosphere at the South Pole and at Mauna Loa, Hawaii. The measurements have shown a steady rise.

1965 - U.S. President Lyndon Johnson tells Congress: "This generation has altered the composition of the atmosphere on a global scale through ... a steady increase in carbon dioxide from the burning of fossil fuels."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-climate-history-idUSTRE7B02DA20111202
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
OK, Exxon lied

It is easy to assume that, if something is repeated often enough, it must be true. I don't obsess about this like Berkeley, but I am unaware of anything other than opinion coming from Exxon. Specifically what did Exxon say that was a lie, and to whom? Voicing an opinion that there is considerable uncertainty about the impact of human activity on the climate is not a lie. It is an opinion, one with which I completely agree and which is as valid today as it was in the 1970s, the period when Exxon is accused of knowing more than the climate science community.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
mac wrote:
So it is with the carbon industry--any lie to prevent loss of market share is ok. And it was mrgybe who bragged about the effectiveness of their PR campaign in convincing the public that global warming was not an important issue.

Poor old fella. Flailing about once again. Wasted hours scouring the forum for the smoking gun, but the best he can come up with is a 6 year old quote that doesn't even remotely support his complete fabrication. Don't trust anything he says.

Mrgybe has been snide, and dishonest, since he joined the forum--starting with snarky tips on windsurfing equipment. He is blowing smoke out his ass on this one. He goes on for pages about the effectiveness of rhetoric trumping science. He notices the conflict of interest of one of the top climate scientists--but passes quickly over the conflicts of interest in the oil industry. He waxes eloquently about the rhetorical skills of Lord Monckton, pimp for the carbon industries (https://www.desmogblog.com/christopher-monckton). And then he finishes with this grand, and predictably snarky, statement of the triumph of rhetoric over science:

Quote:
The moral of the story, children, is this. In politics, substance comes a distant second to perception. Mr Average Voter doesn't understand the science...doesn't want to. He relies on sound bites from the media...

Which is why, of course, the carbon crew invested heavily in the media. Murdoch was all in. The only question I have is whether mrgybe was a paid liar, or just a fellow traveler.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the smell of a two-stroke engine. Brings back memories of ripping through the woods on my KDX250. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Mrgybe has been snide, and dishonest, since he joined the forum--starting with snarky tips on windsurfing equipment.

Another complete fabrication. This has moved beyond childish name calling to downright delusional behavior. He needs help.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta admit, mac loves doing his in depth forum research, this place must have a very high value to him, such a life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: