myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
family board advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vextn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: family board advice Reply with quote

Does anybody have a word of advice on whether a Mistral Malibu (170 ltr, 330x61 cm) would be a good board for a family of relatively-advanced beginners? I am 195 lbs, can do the basic (non-planing) sailing and turning pretty confidently, can beachstart as well. I'm pretty sure that the volume of this board would be fine for me, and definitely fine for my two kids, 13 and 12 yo. I am, however, a bit worried that the board might be too narrow and tippy for my comfort. My time on the water is definitely limited so I don't want to get the gear that would hold my progress back.

On a related note, would this board have enough flotation to be used for SUP-ing?
antonius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The volume of the Mailbu is about right for your needs. A lot has happened in board design since the Mailibu was last made though. Here's a modern-day board that we sell a lot to people with similar needs:

Just wanted you to see the drastic difference.

The extra width makes it much, much easier to progress on. The shorter length makes it much easier to use with kids rigs.

The Malibu could be used for paddling but it is a bit on the narrow side so will be more challenging than an actual SUP.

In short, yes, the Mailibu could do what you want it to do but life would be a whole lot easier and everyone's fun factor would improve on a more modern board.

www.velawindsurf.com
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

malibu was different things at different times. very narrow by today's standards.

kona one planes well, and in kids camps have often been sought after for first goes in the water during free sailing times.

http://www.konaone.com/Page.aspx?Id=2

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
dhmark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are still available anywhere, I have a Bic Nova 165 that I think is a great family wide style board. Fully padded deck, 82 cm wide. It has a removable center fin rather than a dagger board, so switching from learning mode to planing mode requires fin removal, but it sheds a lot of weight and makes it my keeper light wind board for up to 9.5 sails. It was cheap when I bought it too. dhmark
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get the Malibu. I owned one back in the 80's and it is not good for learning, it's too narrow and the volume isn't all that great. The newer designs will be much more fun and easier to learn on.

The Malibu was a "transition board", something one would use after learning on a bigger wider board, taking the next step toward a "short board" for higher wind sailing. In the old days, a "short board" was something under
9' 6" with a volume of about 120 liters or less with no dagger board.

It could also be called a "medium wind fun board". Pretty fast once planing, but with the small dagger board, easy to get around in almost all wind conditions.

On a trip to the Gorge in 1985, there was a guy from New York sailing a Malibu in 20-25 knot winds and was surprisingly good, even getting 3'-5' of air on some jumps. The board was HUGE by gorge standards.

One could learn on a Malibu, but frustration will be high and you will have to be committed to the task. Many would just give up and dump windsurfing if they started on a Malibu.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a used nova last year, great board for kids, I was able to plane with my 70lbs 9 year old standing up inside my arms leaning on my legs ( very cool ) he got the sensation of sailing and loved it. We also use it for supping, works very well.
Check your local craiglist, or iwind classified. I only paid 300$ for mine
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vextn-

I agree with techno900 that the 170 liter / 61 cm wide Malibu is going to be too narrow and tippy for you and your family.

Get something wide, like 70 - 100 cm wide, and with a lot of volume, like 180 - 250 liters.

Like the name "Mistral Malibu", the name "Bic Nova" has referred to different boards over the years. Some have more or less volume and width, so if you get one of those make sure you get one that's big enough and has the features you want.

I agree with jingebritsen that the Kona ONE (70 cm and 220 liters) would be a very good family board.

-James
vextn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your replies. antonius, that one picture is sure worth a thousand words. Of course the problem for someone like me is waiting for the "right" sale ad to come up... while the season is ticking away... Meanwhile, found another offer, on a cheap side, for a 1999 Bic Veloce, 185 ltr, 331x68 cm. Would that work as a decent longboard alternative?
antonius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Veloce was not a bad board and a step in the right direction. Still doesn't compare to some of the options people have suggested here but if that's what your budget allows, you could do worse.

I figured that image would make an impression. You can talk centimeters all day but if you've seen the Mailibu and then see this I figured you'd get the point. Didn't realize it would show up so big but I guess that just added to the impact Smile

Tony

www.velawindsurf.com
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the older boards remind me of railroad ties with nose flip....
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: