myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ode to the dude who sails with no wetsuit at Crissy . . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waitinSD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Andre from the west coast branch of the speedysailor family?
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just leave it to natural selection.

Obviously someone didn't get enough love from mama.
coyoteandre

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epenrose wrote:
Just leave it to natural selection.

Obviously someone didn't get enough love from mama.

Hi Ed,
Is your comment about me or about Deven?
Did you sail this season at Embassy at all?
coyoteandre

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waitinSD wrote:
Is Andre from the west coast branch of the speedysailor family?

Be more specific, what would you like to know?
devengadula

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone up for a Coyote / 3rd Avenue session. I haven't done one this year yet, but I have been doing about 3 every year on really windy days. These are the nicest and most memorable days. I start at Coyote and basically sail downwind riding the wave down to 3rd Av. It can be done with a single or up to 4 jibes, depending on wind direction and the size of your sail. With an oversized sail you just lock yourself in and open it more. This wave riding is awesome, less choppy than between Crissy and TI. Then I usually stay at 3rd Av for an hour and go back upwind. We could also just turn back and do it again.

You need to have more sail to be able to make it upwind easily. That trip takes at least 7 jibes. It is best to leave early, 2:30 - 3:00, so the upwind trip around 5:00 has plenty of wind. It sometimes starts tapering down early, even on very windy days.

I would be also open to starting at 3rd Av, which would be a safer approach, I guess. The place just gets so much more crowded. I have never done it with anyone else but I agree, it would be safer, especially... if you'd like to forgo your wetsuit...
SPQR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have seen the no wetsuit guy at Coyote today, ripping it up on the outside, or was it another guy with no wetsuit. Nonetheless, it was blowing and the guy was ripping!!!
steve1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sailed with Deven (didn't know his name at the time) on a honking freezing fog day at Berkeley.

He reminded me of Nick Ajadarian a guy I used to race with back in the day in the UK. Nick also had a supernatural tolerance to cold and seemed immune to hypothermia. We would be out on the North Sea in a storm in 5mm steamers and Nick would be in shorts and a harness just like Deven.

FWIW, natural selection has already worked with these guys - they survive conditions that would put many of us mere mortals out of the game.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve1 wrote:

FWIW, natural selection has already worked with these guys - they survive conditions that would put many of us mere mortals out of the game.
Wow, this thread is gone on way too long ... but I feel like chiming in just to say that there are no supernatural beings. When Deven was rescued west of the north tower this last May he was close to hypothermia, shivering after just less than one hour in the water. If the Coast Guard had not picked him up who knows what would have happened.

It is true that at the end of the story we all take risks. I probably would die of hypothermia with my 4/3 if I had to spend the night in the water outside of the Gate (although with my VHF that is unlikely to happen). But still, the impression is that to go naked at Crissy, or Coyote in a big day, or anywhere on the coast, is pushing it. Even a 2/1 wetsuit would buy a lot of insurance and make a lot of us that know Deven feel much less worried.
steve1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
steve1 wrote:

Wow, this thread is gone on way too long ... but I feel like chiming in just to say that there are no supernatural beings. When Deven was rescued west of the north tower this last May he was close to hypothermia, shivering after just less than one hour in the water. If the Coast Guard had not picked him up who knows what would have happened.

It is true that at the end of the story we all take risks. I probably would die of hypothermia with my 4/3 if I had to spend the night in the water outside of the Gate (although with my VHF that is unlikely to happen). But still, the impression is that to go naked at Crissy, or Coyote in a big day, or anywhere on the coast, is pushing it. Even a 2/1 wetsuit would buy a lot of insurance and make a lot of us that know Deven feel much less worried.

You make good points about needing to be rescued. Its never good to put others at risk.

My comments were mostly in awe of those who can tolerate cold better than we mere mortals.

However, I happen to be in the UK on business this week and just watched an article on the TV about a scientific study into people who actually can and do survive extreme cold for extended periods without suffering from hypothermia. The main story was about a UK guy who swims arctic waters. The scientists studying him have shown that he does control his body heat and skin temperature in a way that they don't yet fully understand. They also reported on Indian mystics who can do the same thing with meditation - to the level that they can dry a wet towel on their skin.

So it turns out that yes there are some "supernatural" out there after all and we don't all deal with cold the same way.

I wish I was one of them Laughing
devengadula

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Outside the gate in the ebb we are taking enough chances wearing wetsuits. Since that May experience when wind just shifted on us I have started wearing my wetsuit at Crissy and at TI as well. I wear it half way because i really overheat in it, for some reason. You may see me sailing there without it again if and when I figure out the nearby yacht option.

I have seen others wearing their shorts at 3rd Av on warm autumn days, so I guess there might be some personal resistance but also decision making differences coming in play here. I broke my mast at Coyote close to the channel markers 3 years ago in July. I wasn't wearing a wetsuit and 2.5 hours later when I made it to shore I was getting cold, but nowhere near the point of hypothermia. The water is so much warmer there than at Crissy. I still had all of my gear with me. I was able to swim much faster than I would have in a wetsuit. In such situations you have to swim fast to warm up your body. It wasn't a huge wind day, that is true. Today I was in that water for over 15 minutes helping a guy who broke down and aside from feeling a bit...polluted, I did not feel and coldness at all.

The sense of coldness is affected by (at least my) diet. The closer to the sun my food comes from (arugula, tomatoes, olive oil, etc) the purer it seems to power up my body. Sugars, meat, fried meals and other complex food in some strange way cause counterintuitive results. Instead (or perhaps in spite of) warming our bodies by their high calorie content, they make us (or me at least) less resistant to cold.

It is very likely that my vehicle will drop me off for good at one of my favorite spots because I can't imagine having this physical body I have been turning into a well oiled windsurfing machine, and not doing it anymore. It didn't come easy and it seems impossible to leave behind. Somehow by now it feels like a perfect part of my life. This sense of balance i attain on the water carries over to the rest of my existence and it provides for a meaningful life. How long will it last? Only time will tell...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: