myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ode to the dude who sails with no wetsuit at Crissy . . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dukgyb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windsurfing crissy without a wetsuit is simply reckless to the individual. More importantly it is a thoughtless risk for all of our continued sailing at crissy. We have no inherent right to sail off crissy. Indeed numerous regulations and agencies have opposed our access. We enjoy sailing the best place in the world only because of the efforts of several individuals and the SFBSA. The blogs document many locations with unacceptable restrictions. We are especially beholding to the good graces of the United States Coastguard. The need to rescue a reckless sailor is not favorable for us. The need to recover the body would be unthinkable. The NPS does not like that publicity. Excusing this because he is "good at it" is ludicrous. You should not be sailing crissy unless your good at it.
pirireis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there are two sides to this story. If one is happy with the risks and lives his life free, who are we to judge?

The other side of the coin is that a human life is valuable. If one were to stand on top of the GG and threaten to jump, there would be police and rescue teams involved whether the individual liked it or not.

I am not sure where personal freedoms begin and end, and where safety comes in. In this case clearly the danger is only to ones self.

I guess people Rock climb without equipment. Being free and with the mountain is the driving factor. In that regard, since we don't go out of our way to stop Rock Climbers who climb with no equipment but a bag of chalk, maybe there is already precedent and that we should not judge here.

Following this logic, I end up with the conclusion that Deven has the full right to enjoy Crissy whichever way he sails.

Except I would ask that he carry a Radio, so he could call in rescue for others and self Smile in moment of need. Thus his freedom's are fulfilled but the community also gets something back.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICBrXUuwvgg
veterduet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: "Naked Guy" Reply with quote

Agree with Kevin - have seen him at Candlestick fairly often. It does beg for some Polish jokes. How many Poles does it take to rig a sail? Three - two to bend the mast and one to thread the downhaul.

(OK, I'm Russian - Take your best shot!)
pirireis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:

Hey windoggie, that is pretty cool. I have noticed that most climbers are very fit and thin. They must be burning a lot of calories
faradroka1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:

<ironyAlert> at :54 he straps on a seat belt. </ironyAlert>
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:

Windoggie, you a climber? I came from a climbing town, and unfortunately I saw a couple of horrible accidents. They make seeing a cold hard swimmer floating face down seem tame.

I'm one of the few who have seen both. IMO both outcomes are uneccesary, and difficult for the survivors.

I used a naked dead guy as a jibe bouy for about 30 minutes here in Malibu a few years back. I thought his ass sticking out of the water was a bouy......until I took a closer look. (I'm a little near sighted)

Young guys who die doing foolish things don't understand the effect they have on their families.

At least wear a shorty and a rash guard. You might last 2 hours.
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Young guys who die doing foolish things don't understand the effect they have on their families.

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding!!! Johnny, show Steven what he's won behind door number 1!!

That video was 3 years ago. Is this guy still around?
human_catapult

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deven admittedly makes me nervous sometimes too, but I do wonder about that statement of "everyone can get hypothermia". On extremely cold days I tease him all the time about not wearing a wetsuit. He usually does (on those days).

What about these guys who do lots of long distance swims in SF bay with NO wetsuits?

http://www.dolphinclub.org/big_swims.html

what gives? What's the medical explanation?
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's Polish?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: