myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Importance of being ...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pirireis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Importance of being ... Reply with quote

Let's all make sure to have Radios and encourage our friends to carry Radios and look out for one another when sailing the channel at 3rd or Coyote. Instead of buying that one extra sail brand new, just buy a second hand one, and with the money saved get a good Radio. It may save your life, or the life of a fellow sailor one day.

Every sailor is important, so let's all get radio'ed up .. Surely our lives are worth more then a $100
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Radiohead Reply with quote

I'm not caught up...was there a recent incident?
West Marine has a good selection of radios and also has waterproof bags.

jjstien

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A waterproof radio is well worth the investment in your saftey

For instance I monitored a kiter in distress (lost board) by the north tower yesterday on VHF 16 while boat sailing. Coasties were in touch with him, but while they were talking a sailboat was able to find him, take him off the water and bring him in. VHF allows everyone who is on 16 to help... try that with a phone... Radio signal is triangulatable by CG as well, phone is not
pirireis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we had an incident this weekend. We had a sailor missing for most of the day, and evening. The sailor self rescued in the end as the sun was coming down, but not before CG, Fire and Police were looking for him.

After this episode, I think it is also a good idea to put a note on the car saying when you would be back, so that rescue can be dispatched earlier.
victor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been told the waterproof bag can cause more harm than good if you leave your radio in it with any moisture trapped inside.

most of them are submersible anyway.

it's a good idea to open up the battery compartment after every dunking and let dry it out completely.

my ICOM IC-M72 is three years old and is working fine without the bag.
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: incident? Reply with quote

Regarding the incident, thankfully, it sounds like the sailor made it back in OK.

Are there more details that could be shared, such as launch and landing sites, nature of breakdown, hours down, when alarm was raised, etc.

These stories are interesting, but also help build more understanding and awareness of common mishaps and employable countermeasures. For example, many have snapped masts, but many now have decreased this possible mishap by using skinny masts, or many a downhaul line has been broken, but many now use tougher spectra line to decrease this common failure.

Have fun, be safe out there!

victor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knots on spectra line don't hold as well as other lines so double them up.

i've had the stop knot come undone on my downhaul which is almost as bad as a broken line.
pirireis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the Micom-72 is outstanding. I also agree that leaving the radio in Waterproof pouch permanently is bad, however if kept seperatly after usage I think the pouch extends the life of the radio.

As per the incident, it happened at Coyote point close to park closure. We realized we were -1 , and a sailor had been mising since mid afternoon. We made the call at about 7pm.

I myself could not get the details of the breakdown, but was happy to hear from CG the self rescue as we could not see the sailor or rig despite scanning the horizon from elevation and shore with binacoulors for 45 minutes.

On top of the hill as we scanned the horizon, I realized how hopeless our search was as it would be very hard to spot someone in heavy seas a few miles out.

As such I think two things are given if one is well past the channel marker. You are basically on your own and if you don't take precautions you wont be found. The lesson for me was leaving a note before sailing long distance, and also keeping the Micom charged Smile
Wind_Boarder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Standard Horizon HX851 VHF radio with integrated GPS Reply with quote

Here is another thread about the Standard Horizon HX851 VHF radio with integrated GPS.

The integrated GPS is appealing as it can automatically transmit your coordinates in the event of a rescue.

Alak.
paulbroder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Marine has a 2yr. wty. on radios for $13.99. Worked for me twice when corrosion killed it, maybe from leaving it in the Aqua sac.( thanks for the tip).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: