myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Replacing Mistral Equipe XR daggerboard gasket
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GDK-CAN196

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who posted advice !

On my superLight 2, I sanded the bond area of the gasket with 80 grit quite aggressively, then wiped it with acetone, board wiped with acetone as well, and used Maxi-Cure Extra Thick CA, bonding in sections - good glue, the bond seems very strong.

I have had the board out for one cruising 5 - 10 knot session, and the gasket is holding fine thus far, I'm hoping it will do as well as the factory original.
syengulalp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Long term impressions? Reply with quote

Do you have a long-term review? How is it going up?

GDK-CAN196 wrote:
Thanks to all who posted advice !

On my superLight 2, I sanded the bond area of the gasket with 80 grit quite aggressively, then wiped it with acetone, board wiped with acetone as well, and used Maxi-Cure Extra Thick CA, bonding in sections - good glue, the bond seems very strong.

I have had the board out for one cruising 5 - 10 knot session, and the gasket is holding fine thus far, I'm hoping it will do as well as the factory original.
dmilovich

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Urethane gaskets can be a pain Reply with quote

I bought Tinho's gasket when I replaced the one on my Equipe II XR two years ago. It went on fine, and Tinho's instructions worked perfectly. But as Greyghost commented, the gasket is quite stiff. So stiff, in fact, that it doesn't work well and jams. Have used dry lube but not the silicone wet lube. (Don't like that stuff in general but may need to succumb...)

My feeling is that one shouldn't need any lube given that the whole thing is wet. Never had to on my other race board with various gaskets, but next time I'll give some liquid lube a go. (I only sail it a few times a year)

The problem with this one is when the board is lowered it folds down into the water on the leading edge (very desirable) but at the same time, will fold up into the box along the trailing edge if you try to retract it (which sucks). This causes it to jam. Perhaps the urethane is simply too old and aged?

Thombiz's solution sounds great, but takes some skill. Wish I had read that before I put this one on.

There are other instructions on this forum, including a very interesting one for making a gasket using glass cloth and a marine adhesive, that results in a thinner gasket. This is more along the lines of the sailcloth gaskets Larry Tuttle used to supply. I kinda wish now that I'd done something like that so that my gasket and board worked better.

Good luck with it!
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used 3/16" 60 Duro neoprene and it's working very nicely. Went with clear polyurethane glue (Gorilla brand) which has worked very well. Roughed the surfaces and wiped with acetone then a little water to kick the polyurethane. Be sparing with the glue since it foams.

Has held up well including some fast planing and upwind work. Seals well but isn't stiff once it's in the water. Best of all I got enough material for several boards for less than $15 on amazon.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere to simply use a few layers of tape. I did that with sail repair tape (the x-ply-like type) on my F2 Lightning. Fast, cheap, and had held up well so far in 7 or 8 sessions, including a few planing ones. I may have to replace it after a season or two, but it only takes a few minutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: