myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Washoe Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronm41

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Thanks for the information. This weekend looks like it will blow at both Tahoe & Washoe. Later in the week it looks like Carson City is going to heat up. Is that what I should be watching for to get an idea of when the wind will blow at Washoe?

Thanks,
Coachg

Windsurfing at Tahoe is always iffy and more iffy at Zephur Cove as the SE-NE side of Tahoe is pretty much the onshore side of the lake and it pushes alot of chop to that side of the lake. Then you have the ridgeline on that side of the lake going upwards of 10,000 so the wind lifts off the lake to get over the ridge. So, you get plenty of chop but diminished winds to power you. Anyway, predicting wind at Washoe for next week is questionable as it is the first major heat up. Tomorrow(sat) the wind is pressure gradient wind so a great chance for decent wind. Next week the hope is for thermal wind caused by the East heating up and the mountains cool. However, with all the available moisure and still big snow pack that can cause thunderheads and cut off decent wind. So, wind would be a late afternoon event maybe after 4:00. Call the windline and hope for the best. Another indicator of wind at Washoe would of course be the NOAA forecast but if it is breezy at Zephur at 12:00 chances are good for Washoe. Wink
skipownow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I lost a fin at Washoe on July 4th. Its a red MFC Liquid 36cm power box. There would also likely be a philips head screwdriver with it. If any one found this please let me know. I was parked just north of the bathroom, so I'm thinking that's where I last had it.
jimmchugh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: September 2012 still enough water? Reply with quote

NOAA says wind today, can anyone confirm that there is enough water to windsurf at Washoe?

Thanks much,
Jim
ronm41

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water is about 6-7' deep, sandy and no rocks. I sailed there yesterday from 4-6 and just got hammered with a 6.5. As soon as I rigged, the wind went from 15-20 to 18 to upper 20's and just a handful. I did a short session and came in and waited for the wind to slack a bit but it never did and since the wind dies off around 6 as a rule, just no time to rerig. Today, should be a strong day probably 18-30's and starting earlier. Anyway, bottomline, plenty of water, plenty deep and it should remain sailable till the snow flies. Washoe Lake windline 775 849 7648
jimmchugh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great see you out there.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: