myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Belize

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
combs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Belize Reply with quote

Has anyone been to the new Vela center in Belize? Appears they now have something set up on Glover's Reef, an island off the coast of Belize. Looks amazing, but wondering what kind of wind they have this time of year.

http://www.velawindsurf.com/html/pages/destinations/belize.php
peacheslee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Belize Reply with quote

I just got back from Belize. Vela is at the Grove Cayes which is way out of the way. But if a Vela it should have nice equipment.

If you go to Ambergris Caye which is were a lot of tourist go. There is a nice little windsurf shop there. Sailsports, he has some new and old stuff. Nicer big sails 5.9+ ,, less nice smaller sails. Mostly patched. Good smaller boards. The windsurfing is great. Early morning is good. ( I only made one early morning). You can sail for a long way.

Take a water ferry to Caye Caulker. Very nice equipment rentals. Cheap housing,,,cheap housing, nice little island.

Good luck
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on Caye Caulker and run the only retail shop in Belize called Small Craft Warning.We don't rent or teach the public but offer cheap or free gear to those who help out the local high school Ocean Academy.
Our store is cheaper than those in the States.
Caye Caulker is windier than Vela or Ambergris because we are better placed to take advantage of a thermal that works up until 10 AM and after 4PM. Head high to double mast high waves are usual on Caye Caulker more than half of the days outside the reef.They do not break on shore.Inside it is bump and jump or flatwater speed.
Runs more than seven miles long are usual. Fifteen minutes between turns,Sometimes fish even dolphins jump in front of you in the shallow clear water, You can sail to other islands with ease.
It is often quite windy in June and July.Few locals have sails larger than 6.0 or boards over 95 liters. My main ride is a 74 liter Thommen and my big sail is a 5.5 Hot.
You can check both Ambergis and Caye Caulker winds right here
http://www.windalert.com/en-us/Search/SpotInfo.aspx?spotid=83318
No life guard on duty in this remote country filled with coral reefs.
If you ignore local advice you will be making a mistake. Our crowd likes to work the edges and despite thousands of sessions going back thirty years about 10% of the wave sailors are rescued each year by their friends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: