myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best ~110L freeride board for wind range and heavy chop (?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grayson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Have you ever tried just knee-jerking the entire hull clear of the water to break the surface tension, then setting it back down planing?....

Might just have to give that a shot next time I'm just on the verge of planing with no gust in sight. Thanks for the suggestion. Smile I figure it must have a limit as the board gets larger. You have success with this approach on a 115L(ish) ride?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it with 240L longboards, if I get aggressive enough. Even getting just the aft 2/3 off the surface enough (to break the surface tension?) seems to help. Of course, it's easier the smaller the board is, as long as it's ON, not IN, the water; a sunk sinker is staying sunk until forward speed gets it back on top.
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some small board sailors "olie" their boards when the winds get near planing threshold, and pop right onto a plane with added sail pumping, while other's just stand there and slog underwater.
Trick is to stomp on the backfoot by the rear straps, immediately release and get airborne, unweighting the board and allowing it to pop up past the waterline into the air, while your feet stay own to shove it downwind slightly landing with another push forwards.
Lots of us USED to do it, but with old age, now can't be bothered and just rig bigger or use bigger boards.
I often ride sub 75 liters boards at Berkeley, the lightest wind spot in San Francisco Bay.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Some small board sailors "olie" their boards when the winds get near planing threshold, and pop right onto a plane with added sail pumping, while other's just stand there and slog underwater.
Trick is to stomp on the backfoot by the rear straps, immediately release and get airborne, unweighting the board and allowing it to pop up past the waterline into the air, while your feet stay own to shove it downwind slightly landing with another push forwards.
Lots of us USED to do it, but with old age, now can't be bothered and just rig bigger or use bigger boards.

That's what I was trying to describe, except that I do it in the straps to actively lift the tail rather than just "allowing" it to pop up ... sort of like aggressively spinning the sail rather than letting the wind swing the gate after we slow down in a stall-jibe. Keeping the feet in the straps also helps aim the board at any little downslope and thrust it forward.

And even on bigger sails and boards, "Olie" is still our friend at times.
Gazman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grayson wrote:

Tabou Rocket 115

THE CONS FIRST: It does, as jingebritsen and others warned, not pump to plane well. It's an interesting sensation when it's just on the edge of being powered, and it's occasionally a little frustrating when there's just enough wind to plane, but not enough wind to GET planing. The board definitely gets planing when it's ready, and no amount of pumping or coaxing seems to change that.

Interesting observations about getting a Rocket onto the plane and do certainly agree even though I've only sailed my recently purchased (used) 2010 Rocket 95 a few times.

Previously sailed a 2009 Fanatic Hawk 93 for three seasons (replaced due to full bottom delam) and realised once I sailed the Rocket that the Hawk was much easier to coax onto the plane in marginal winds than the Rocket, which appears to stay 'glued' to the water and feels less lively or free than the Hawk in these conditions, though the Rocket does feel more lively once powered up but still not the same as the Hawk (both boards are 58cm wide with similar outline).

So far I've found the Rocket to be a comfortable freeride cruiser in bumpier conditions where the Hawk can become a bit too lively!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw a friend's rocket 120 (ish) recently. they finally got rid of all that double concave aft. he claims it rides smooth. probably does. so, if you get a newer one, odds are the early planing threshold is a lot lower than previous models. in florida and lots of other places, planing is very important.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: