myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
broken foot- lisfranc fracture
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcmigliaccio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Lisfranc and Tightrope Reply with quote

Hello,

I injured my right foot (Lisfranc joint dislocation/fracture on 4/5 toes - the big toe was not affected) and I am going for a TightRope surgery next week. Anyone had one of these?
Will I be able to windsurf again?

Some background:
I injured my right foot on 8/19 while on a trip in Peru. Technically, the injury did not occur while windsurfing. I was on the shoreline after a windless windsurfing session and a wave hit the shore deeper, made me lose my balance and load/twist the right foot while the board was pushed over the foot and kept it twisted long enough for the injury to occur.
I went straight to Emergency where they did X-Rays and diagnosed the injury. Within 3 hours I went in surgery room under anesthesia. The orthopedic surgeon decided to go with an closed reduction (they just put back the metatarsal in the joint without cutting). I was in a soft cast for a 1 week before going back to check and then they put me in a cast to allow me to fly back to the US. The Peruvian orthopedic doctor thought that I could keep the cast for 3 weeks and then start physical therapy. However, my family doctor sent me in for new X-ray after 3 weeks, and saw something wrong, so sent me for a CT scan and then referred me to an orthopedic surgeon. The CT scan showed that I had some fractures (sort of fragments where the joints popped out and where put back in through closed reduction). We kept the cast for 6 weeks than did a new x-ray by loading some weight on my right foot. The new x-ray showed that the joint was not stable (under pressure, the second metatarsal slide aside and push aside all the other metatarsal by probably 3-6 mm). The doctor advised me to install a Tightrope to keep the second metatarsal close to the first (only stable one). I have this procedure scheduled for next week (10/12) and I am wondering if any other windsurfer can tell me if it worked
for her/him.

Thanks,

GT
zenzen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: broken foot Reply with quote

GT,
Sorry to hear about the break. It was 18 + months ago that i broke 3 metatarsils in my right foot.
The doctor in maui thought it was a lisfrank fracture which he said would take 6 months to a year to heal.
Once i got back to LA i saw two docs and both said i had only the 3 metatarsils fractured and no lisfrank fracture. there was no0 surgery necessary and i just used a boot and crutches for 1 1/2 months and then a cane and boot for a month and then a boot alone for a month. I was out on my boot all the time a constructuion job sites for months 2-4.
then my doc said it was almost healed and that i could use supportive shoes and the fractures should all be healed by month 5 end.
Well i did too much activity on it and it never healed in month 5. From then on i wore the boot for month 6 and then really stiff hiking boots. All this time my foot would still swell up and i would keep it elevated when i got home.
Well finally after 10 months i began to wear normal shoes and at the end of month 11 the doc said my foot was finally healed.
He thinks my low vitamin D levels contributed to the extra long recovery.
So takes lots of vitamin D and keep off your foot and keep it elevated to reduce the swelling.
I am 52 and healthy and in good shape, but i gained about 20 pounds while my foot was broken last year. happily that is gone now and my foot feels almost like new. I still have some tender ligaments after walking over rough ground and when i run too much.
Keep me posted with what you decide to do and how the recovery gomes along.
Do you go to Peru often? I would love to go both to the sea as well as the rainforests too.
Cheers Ian
gregorvass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masliah MD in Encino or Kahn MD both are excellent.

Bring all Films with you.

Non-healing / fusing fractures can be a real pain. Go see board certified Podiatrist or Orthopod ASAP.

Cheers!
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Lisfranc and Tightrope Reply with quote

gcmigliaccio wrote:
1. Anyone had one of these?
2. Will I be able to windsurf again?

1) No, 2) I don't know, and 3) I just barfed reading your experience. Good luck with it, and don't take any shortcuts.
gcmigliaccio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Lisfranc and Tightrope Reply with quote

Thanks for all responses.

Isobars: I know. It was certainly unlucky to get injured in the middle of a very active season (Before this injury, I had sailed the most than in the last 15 years) and in such a way. I am not taking any shortcut and just following my podiatrist advice.

gregorvass: After returning from Peru, I was referred to a certified podiatrist who is specialized in sport injuries.

Ian: I am following your advice and adding vitamin D to my diet. I am 43, healthy and in good shape. I am trying to dont gain too much weight by forcing myself to walk (even if just on crutches). So far, I have been 4 times to Peru (Trujillo and northern coast) to visit my wife's family. This was the first time I carried some windsurfing gear because I was planning to sail at Pacasmayo for the AWT event (I am not a pro, and was going to be my first wave event). I injured myself in Huanchaco just a couple of days before the event. Still, I was able to visit Pacasmayo (on crutches) and take some clips of the event. Here a very rudimental video from my clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEfjPsv35EY
P.S. Before the injury, I had the time to take a road trip from Trujillo (coast) to Tarapoto (rainforest) with a stop in Chancapoya (mountains). Two days drive each way. Tarapoto can also be reached by plane and is only 2 hour drive from a river ferry on the Amazon river until Iquitos. It was an interesting trip except for the road that is kind of scary (lots of landslides). I would fly another time.
zenzen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT,
Thanks for the heads up about the drive from the coast to the forest.
If i ever get the time to go i'll contact you.
Pacasmayo looks great. shame you got injured. What is a tightrope anyhow?
Cheers Ian
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Maurice Perry or Jerome Freidman Westlake Village, Ca. They also work in the valley. Did surgery on my foot, and was on the water in 4 months. Footstraps in 5. They do great work.
gcmigliaccio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tightrope is sort of a patented artificial ligament to replace a torn or badly damaged Lisfranc ligament: http://www.ankletightrope.com/easyedit/files/mini%20tightrope%202008.pdf
I believe these devices were approved in 2007 for use in the US, and I was wondering what is their effectiveness and durability.

GT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: