myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nuclear Power and Government
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
There seems to be a fatalistic attitude setting in over here. We have almost the words highest fuel taxes, and massive debt problems, yet the roads are gridlocked and everybody seems to carrying on as though there will be no tomorrow.

I think people realize that we've all been living beyond our means, which is unsustainable, and that the party is about to end.

Does anybody really believe that radical changes in the western worlds life style and comsumption of depleting world resources will not be necessary, especially with the growing demand of others? Is it not going to be painful for us?

Sadly, there seems to be that type of fatalism settling upon this country which is most unusual..........Americans are a determinedly optimistic people........but the frustration at government inaction is growing. We are running annual deficits of around $1.5 trillion........a staggering number........yet the buffoons we have elected to run the country bicker about trivial spending cuts. In any private company these clowns would be thrown out.

Having said all that, overall, the system has worked in the past so we have to take a deep breath and trust that it will work in the future. Inevitably though, the piper will have to be paid.........that will mean a lower living standard for our successors.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote

Quote:
I don't think that taking more money out of consumers hands would be a good idea...........I have absolutely no reason to believe that the government can use my money more effectively than I can. The current spike in crude prices is largely event driven and is likely to be around until things settle down in Africa/ Middle East. It will have the effect of dampening demand, which, as you say, will cause prices to recede. I'm content to let the markets dictate supply and demand...........direct government intervention in hydrocarbon pricing has been ineffective everywhere I have encountered it.

I am not suggesting the Fed spend the gas tax money. I am suggesting we use it to buy down the debt. Currently, we are in at least two wars in the mid-east, largely to protect our interest in oil production. All of this war spending is in our debt. Why not pay for the costs at the pump? If it reduces demand and increases the value of the dollar against energy costs, what is the downside?

I am talking about phasing this tax in as the economy recovers; not a big hit now. By the way, this is a consumption tax. Shouldn't this tax in place of income tax be something in line with Tea Party ideology?
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a great idea. We use less gas, take the heat off the middle East, and reduce the debt. Im pretty sure Chevron, and Exxon will fight the idea to the death.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
I am not suggesting the Fed spend the gas tax money. I am suggesting we use it to buy down the debt.

You mean collect it, and then put it aside for debt reduction........a bit like the Social Security lockbox? Governments have been telling us for decades that they will use new taxes for a specific purpose.......they rarely do it.......they always find something else to spend them on. I see no reason to trust them now.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has no one considered the impact of rising transportation (fuel) costs on the price of EVERY SINGLE GOOD AND SERVICE we buy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: