myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nuclear Power and Government
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like nuclear power may again be off the table for a while. So, I say - buy natural gas. Or fortune cookie futures. Wink
mac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard with the easy (thoughtless) solutions:
Quote:
If you believe we cause global warming, then nuclear is the easy solution to all our problems....but it's alot like kiting. A quick fast fix with alot of dangerous implications to bystanders.

A typical comment from a conservative that global warming is something addressed with a belief structure not science. The same goes for nuclear power. Two points, and not simple in implementation. First, nuclear power has an important role in energy in the future. Second, it is neither affordable nor safe without government intervention.

I am not opposed to nuclear power, but it is less economical right now than conservation. And the grants to GE for conservation are what the right is screaming about now.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't see nuclear power advancing until either the costs are reduced and are competitive with coal, a carbon tax becomes a reality or the environmentalists decide to embrace it and will pay extra for it like they do for wind or solar.

So, I agree Mac, our best approach is to reduce energy costs by conservation at this time to reduce the necessity of constructing as many new power generation plants. This will make the US more competitive by reducing energy costs.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm putting my sweater on as we speak!
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every little bit helps. I don't run my radio in my car! We all do what we can!
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive at night with the headlamps off. Does that help?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The President said all the right things in his energy speech today.........but we've heard it all before (and not just from this Administration). We have to do more than just talk about it. Before the inauguration, Senator Obama pledged that he would wean us off the imports of foreign oil in ten years (primarily Middle East/ Venezuela). We are now in year three.........imports were higher in 2010 than they were in 2009.......and 6.5% higher in Jan 2011 than in Jan 2010......not a promising start.The actions of this Administration thus far have impeded increased domestic production, so it will take a significant shift in their actions to stimulate growth. As for nuclear, the focus for some time (correctly) is likely to be on ensuring that our existing facilities are secure rather than adding to capacity.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe

I always thought Obama was way overly optimistic on his goal of energy independence.

It is difficult to fight market demand and market pricing. The economy craters, oil demand drops, prices drop, demand goes up......

Don't you think it might be time for the government to step in and take the step of imposing a gasoline tax to reduce demand and generate revenue to reduce our debt? Would this have the added benefit of increasing the value of the dollar against the oil producers?
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a fatalistic attitude setting in over here. We have almost the words highest fuel taxes, and massive debt problems, yet the roads are gridlocked and everybody seems to carrying on as though there will be no tomorrow.

I think people realize that we've all been living beyond our means, which is unsustainable, and that the party is about to end.

Does anybody really believe that radical changes in the western worlds life style and comsumption of depleting world resources will not be necessary, especially with the growing demand of others? Is it not going to be painful for us?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Don't you think it might be time for the government to step in and take the step of imposing a gasoline tax to reduce demand and generate revenue to reduce our debt? Would this have the added benefit of increasing the value of the dollar against the oil producers?

I don't think that taking more money out of consumers hands would be a good idea...........I have absolutely no reason to believe that the government can use my money more effectively than I can. The current spike in crude prices is largely event driven and is likely to be around until things settle down in Africa/ Middle East. It will have the effect of dampening demand, which, as you say, will cause prices to recede. I'm content to let the markets dictate supply and demand...........direct government intervention in hydrocarbon pricing has been ineffective everywhere I have encountered it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: