myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
GoPro mounting options, TIPS/SUGGESTIONS??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grayson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: GoPro mounting options, TIPS/SUGGESTIONS?? Reply with quote

I got a GoPro Hero HD camera in December, and have worked out some pretty slick mounting options for skiing: pole-mount, pack-strap-mount, etc. (sample video here). But I have yet to use it on the water, and am looking for advice for some fun mounting options for windsurfing. Anybody have tips? I have the so-called Handlebar Seatpost Mount which seems to be the perfect size for boom-mount (on the rear section of the boom at least) and for top-of-the-mast-mount (on RDM masts at least). The two additional mounts I'd like to figure out are:

1. MAST MOUNT MID-WAY UP THE MAST, where you have to attach over (or through??) the luff sleeve.

2. BOARD MOUNT OPTIONS, especially on an extension rear of the board looking forward (using fin screw or footstrap screws to attach perhaps??).

Any tips from those of you who've done this with GoPro or similar cameras? Or suggestions for other mounts that I haven't even considered?

Thanks!
outcast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best perspective i have seen is with a Clew-View.
Cam looks foward at sail, sailor. wave and board.

It's a really trick mount at the boom end, secure light and strong.
I think it just hit the market though...I've seen 'em, but not sure where to get one. Def on my wish list

noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Gath Gedi helmet. Has anyone with the same hat set up the GoPro on the visor? Gath sells a visor that's "GoPro ready" but looks to be the same visor that comes with the helmet. So if I get the GoPro Helmet Hero will it have the same connection to mount to the visor? And also, the visor pivots up and down a bit. Any problem with that moving during a session?
mogunn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:
The best perspective i have seen is with a Clew-View.
Cam looks foward at sail, sailor. wave and board.

It's a really trick mount at the boom end, secure light and strong.
I think it just hit the market though...I've seen 'em, but not sure where to get one. Def on my wish list

You can use the strapped helmet mount on the boom end.
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=149827#149827

Windshark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really a head mounted view (on a helmet) seems to yield the best first person POV. We can see where you are looking, get an idea of how fast you are going, and you can catch other windsurfers on the water by looking in their direction. Sometimes you can even tell what the sailor is thinking by where he is looking.

Unless you want people to just see your total sexiness sailing (which most windsurfers do not care about....mostly).

The head strap can be hell shakey though, helmet is more solid. Get one that fits snug that does not restrict head circulation. The 3m adhesive is very strong on the mount - but I attach a small lanyard, just in case it comes off.

www.mariner-sails.com
Mariner Sails Wind and Watersports
hilton08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: go pro mounting Reply with quote

This video pretty much illustrates all the options.

http://vimeo.com/14913719

be sure to scroll down the page for the full story.
jfeehan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mounts that come with the surf hero model work very well for the boom - both at the clew, and near the mast.

the only problem with putting it on the boom near the mast seems to be that it gets in the way when you jibe.

if you got it without the mounts, you can buy them separately. they are inexpensive, and work well.

for mast tip, i made a pretty good mount out of a spring clamp (about $3 at home depot), and the gopro tripod mount (about $7). i'll post a pic later.

i just clamp it to the mast where i want it. the clamp is pretty strong, and has a kind of sharp edge, so i put a piece of foam between the clamp and the mast/luff sleeve. i usually put a line on it, just in case, but it has never gone anywhere.
grayson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for the great ideas & suggestions!! Especially that Ian Boyd video! Some wicked cool and wacky mounting options there, and put together into a really fun video!

I like the springclamp idea that jfeehan mentioned, and I already have the tripod mount. Got an idea in my mind of how that might go together, but would love to see photos of what you came up with too if possible.

As for Windshark's suggestion about helmet-mount, I definitely plan on shooting some helmet-mount footage, but I really feel that videos shot exclusively from helmet-cam are really freakin' boring. The videos I've seen that end up looking coolest are the ones that mix up a number of different viewpoints, especially ones that incorporate a subject right up in the foreground, like you can't quite get with helmet-cam. As I said, I certainly certainly plan to shoot some helmet-cam footage, but I really want to mix it up with other mounts as well.

If I really did have to choose just one mount though, I think the clew mount like in the James Douglas video (thanks to the link from coyotewindsurf) might be the winner in my mind. Really like the look of that, and like that it covers both tacks without changing camera position, unlike many other boom/mast mount options. If there really is a commercial product available for that viewpoint, as suggested by outcast above, I'd be all over it. But unless and until that's the case, I think it won't be at all difficult to rig something up myself. We'll see how it goes. Wink

Anyway, love the suggestions. Keep 'em coming if you have more. I hope to have some video footage of my own to post before too long. Cool
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPros are hard to find at a discount ... until now. REI's 20%-off-on-one-item gets you a Hero 960 for $144.

Mike \m/
jfeehan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is my mast mount.

it uses the gopro tripod mount, which has a 1/4 20 threaded hole on the bottom. i just put a stainless machine screw with a washer through the pre-existing hole in the clamp. the clamp is from home depot.

the mount works pretty well. it takes only a second to clamp it on the mast. the levers face forward. as i mentioned, i put a small piece of foam under the clamp to protect the mast from the ridge on the clamp.

it looks clunky, but i really don't notice it when sailing.

the video looks upside down on one tack, so i rotate it in the software.

IMG_0929.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  148.09 KB
 Viewed:  28902 Time(s)

IMG_0929.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: