myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Boom diameter
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Boom diameter Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

It's time for new booms, and all my old ones are standard diameter. I'm curious if anyone knows (or can measure a set) whether the stated grip diameter of 1 1/8" is the tubing or the actual diameter including the grip material? I'm toying with the idea of making 3 sets of fixed length carbon booms and I need a starting point for the finished tube diameter before adding the grip material.

Cheers

Chris.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun!
Please post picture of completed project Smile

rich1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I actually go through with it, for sure I'll post some pictures. I have enough left over carbon and carbon/kevlar to make a few sets of booms so I thought why not? I never fly with my gear, (they make it next to impossible to do that any more) and a fixed length boom would be lighter and stiffer than it's adjustable counter part. My main point of concern is how thick do the walls need to be and what diameter. I just saw an ad for Severne red line booms and they claim a 26mm grip! If that's after the grip material has been added that means they've got a 3/4" tube. Much smaller than I had originally thought.

Cheers.
outcast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applaud initiatve, but recommend swimming lessons
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:

I like extravagance too, but this sounds like a lot of work for a very limited result. Will you only be buying sails with the exact outhaul requirement that your boom provides? And how will you know how the sail you buy sets up best for you until you take it out for a few sessions? For myself I find half of my sails do not rig best limited to the recommended outhaul setting.

But be that as it may, yes please post photos!

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich1 wrote:
If I actually go through with it, for sure I'll post some pictures. I have enough left over carbon and carbon/kevlar to make a few sets of booms so I thought why not? I never fly with my gear, (they make it next to impossible to do that any more) and a fixed length boom would be lighter and stiffer than it's adjustable counter part. My main point of concern is how thick do the walls need to be and what diameter. I just saw an ad for Severne red line booms and they claim a 26mm grip! If that's after the grip material has been added that means they've got a 3/4" tube. Much smaller than I had originally thought.

Cheers.

Grip diameter is measured with the grip material installed. I use a pair of Fiberspar Posi-Grip booms with all the grip removed down to bare carbon. It works great and is as easy on the hands as the foam grip.

I'd be happy to measure the tube thickness for you, but I've no caliper handy. That said, boom tube thickness is not the same along its length. For example, almost every boom is made of a set of straight tubes epoxied to a set of curved tubes. The tube thickness increases at the overlap.

I applaud your desire to make your own booms but I think that it would be far cheaper to find a set of discarded booms and fashion a fixed-length tail piece of your own making. That part is the easiest to make compared to making a mandrel for curved tubes.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:

Thank you.........that made me laugh!

Rich........unless you plan to construct one, the boom head tube inserts will dictate the diameter and wall thickness. If it's a project to have some fun and to see if you can do it........great.......go for it and good luck. However, whatever results from your project, make sure it will get you home!
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich1 wrote:
I have enough left over carbon and carbon/kevlar to make a few sets of booms so I thought why not? ... how thick do the walls need to be and what diameter. .... Much smaller than I had originally thought.

The level of knowledge displayed here -- way beyond mine but way BELOW that of boom designers -- reminds me of the customer I encountered at the glue display at Lowe’s a while back. He asked me -- just another customer -- which glue I’d suggest for patching a badly split plastic gasoline container. I mumbled something about solvents and plastics and adhesives and fumes and spark plugs, then asked him what he needed it for. I tripped over my lower jaw at his answer:

“MY ULTRALIGHT’S GAS TANK”.

At least you won't go down in flames, but you'd better pack some swim fins.

Mike \m/
rich1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting,

I didn't think this would generate quite so much comment. Firstly, all my sails are pretty much brand new, and I only replace sails when they are falling apart, so I'm ok with building one boom per sail, or at least one each for my 2 most often used sails. As for length, I've rigged these sails and sailed them enough to know how long the booms should be, so that's not a concern.

I'm planning on making at least one of the boom heads as well. I have a perfectly serviceable HPL head that I put on an older set of booms so I can use that if I care to.

I'm a bit shocked how everyone assumes that for some reason I can't make a set of carbon booms that won't break. I've been shaping and building boards using carbon, kevlar and epoxy since 1985. I've built mast bases, repaired my own sails, and on my most recent board, the fin box is actually part of the bottom of the board, molded out of carbon fibre. I've had plenty of failures along the way but that's how we learn.

My post here was to get a starting point. Even though the material I'm using is left over from my last board, it is expensive, and I want to get it right the first time. Because I'm going fixed length, I can over build them and still come up with something lighter than a commercial version. My goal however is to capitalize on the advantage of a one piece boom and make it much lighter. The final result being one boom per sail, harness lines in the right place, half the weight of what I'm currently sailing.

So basically from what Dan wrote, it looks like I'm shooting for a 1" diameter tube in the main body. I'm planning on larger diameter toward the tail and head of the boom, as I'm currently planning on molding them over high density foam which I can shape to any profile I like.

Thanks for all the comments, I'll post some pics as they progress.

Cheers,

Chris
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW: I have a caliper and measured some of my booms for tube diameter at the gripping region (with foam grip material included in the measurements).

Maui Sails Wave 140 - 200: 1.165"

HPL Wave 140 - 190: 1.220"

HPL Slalom 170 - 230: 1.270"

Notes:
- For all these booms the diameter increases by about .030" where the tail piece inserts.

- As far as I can tell (by comparing to at an old broken Fiberspar) the gip material thickness for the above 3 booms falls into the range of approximately .040" - .050" --so subtract out .080" - .100" from the above measurements to get bare tube diameters--probably the HPL's have .050" foam and the Maui Sails has closer to .040".

- WALL thickness, where tail inserts, for the HPL booms is about .080" - .090". (Don't know about the Maui Sails wall thickness. And of course I have no idea how the wall thickness may differ in the gripping area of the booms versus where the tail piece inserts.)

Sounds like an interesting project. Good luck!

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: