myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
A simple parable for the Wisconsin news
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I sad, sometimes it takes a while to out the conservatives favorite horseshit. I remember this line by mrgybe:
Quote:
The Washington Post is a conservative newspaper...........now THAT'S funny!!

Check out Eric Alterman's outing of Marcus Brauchli, now publisher of the Post, after he took $6.4 million to leave the Wall Street Journal without making a fuss: http://www.thenation.com/article/160088/how-low-will-washington-post-go

Here's the scummy story:
Quote:
...these unpopular decisions, however, were soon overshadowed by the role he played in one of the most humiliating episodes in the Post’s recent history: the effort to peddle the paper’s influence to big-money interests through the creation of a series of salons at Weymouth’s home, co-hosted by Brauchli. Priced up to $250,000, they were advertised to industry lobbyists as a means to spend “an evening with the right people [who] can alter the debate.” When the story broke, a clearly embarrassed editor went into bunker mode, but the paper’s ombudsman, Andrew Alexander, wrote that “Brauchli said he never saw the flier and would not have approved it,” and quoted him saying, “I had no idea.” Brauchli next told Howard Kurtz, then of the Post, that he was “appalled” by the offer because “it suggests that access to Washington Post journalists was available for purchase.”

Unfortunately for Brauchli, Charles Pelton, the executive designated to be thrown under the bus for this “appalling” attack on the paper’s integrity, proved unwilling to lie down and die for the cause. He hired a lawyer, who forced the paper to reveal the truth. Brauchli eventually admitted in a letter to Pelton that he “knew that the salon dinners were being promoted as ‘off the record.’ That fact was never hidden from me by you or anyone
else.”

A publisher that lies and solicits money for influence? What do you call that mrgybe, quality journalism or insider trading?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call it what it is........a clearly left leaning publication that planned to charge special interest groups from the health care industry for the opportunity to meet with senior Obama Administration officials, lawmakers and Washington Post reporters at the WP publisher's home during the health care reform debate. Thank you for reinforcing my post and correctly pointing out that the Washington Post and integrity are no longer related.
mac

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So desperate to be right, no matter what he said. This particular line of reasoning started with mrgybe using the Post as his authoritive source, which I described as a tautology searching for any factual support:
Quote:
Mrgybe’s tautology is Quote:
It's a widely held view that, generally, the public education system in this country is not working well.

In support of this view, he has offered an opinion from a conservative newspaper, the Washington Post, thus: Quote:
Over the past four decades, the per-student cost of running our K-12 schools has more than doubled, while our student achievement has remained virtually flat. Meanwhile, other countries have raced ahead.

So we are now to disbelieve your authoritive source? Have you notice any connections between the education business and all those critics? My point, which you nit-picked, was that I don't consider the Washington Post either authoritive or balanced. Apparently you now agree, but you can't figure out whether their publisher is right wing? Maybe you should check Wikipedia?
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we can return to the question of improving education, there is a new book on its way to being published by the National Center on Education and the Economy. This organization doesn't seem to have a partisan agenda, but instead is looking at other countries who have been more successful at education than the United States. A group of talking points can be found on this power point presentation, which seems interesting as far as it goes: http://www.ncee.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/May-24-MST-Slides.pdf

Reactions?
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So one million signatures were turned in for the recall Walker effort. That's nearly half the electorate. As he is hoisted on his own petard, do any of you righties have something clever to say?

I sent in my $100 to the recall effort.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing but contempt for the Wisconcin electorate, they must be hallucinating, Scott Walker is a great Governor!
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't we blame it on the judiciary?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unemployment way below national average, he didn't fire one public employee, and he balanced the state budget. What a silly way to run a state. I'm so glad we have governor moombeam instead of him....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29
Page 29 of 29

Jump to: