myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hood River Cops might be on the chopping block
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
My daughter wants to know what happened to the Texas Governor's dog!

The Texas Governor’s dog runs for office claiming dog’s will be done (he’s dogslectic), licks every hand that scratches him and piddles on the rest. Mission accomplished!

coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Texas two year budget deficit approaches $27 Billion.

Or not.

From http://tinyurl.com/4hkt4nv :
"House legislators were forced to rely on spending cuts to close the shortfall -- estimated at between $15 billion and $27 billion -- because Republican leaders pledged not to raise taxes. They also did not touch the state's projected $9.4 billion rainy day fund, one of the most flush in the nation."

And if we read on, the budget reductions make sense, cutting into government jobs (>9k gone), welfare, education (i.e., teachers' unions), school loans (because they've been federalized), public defender funds ...

Why the cuts? Because stimulus funds are drying up.

DUH! Who on earth could have possibly anticipated problems when stimulus funds stopped flowing?

Grade school kids on an allowance, for starters.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In spite of Malibu Steve's cute story, it would be a cold day in hell that I leave the windsurf/ski/cycle dreamland for the hot dusty sweatland that is Texas. Go for it Bard, I can see you in a cowboy hat living in El Paso.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf wrote:
mrgybe wrote:
My daughter wants to know what happened to the Texas Governor's dog!

The Texas Governor’s dog runs for office claiming dog’s will be done (he’s dogslectic), licks every hand that scratches him and piddles on the rest. Mission accomplished!

Reminds me of Ted Kennedy's dog, Splash..........(no, really!!!!)
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boggsman1,

Careful with your harsh words about Texas. I live in Dallas and have 5 large lakes and over a dozen launches to choose from, all within 40 minutes of my house.

This week: wind speeds are in MPH.

Sunday - winds 12-24, air in the 60's. iSonic 111 and a 7.6
Monday - played golf with air in the 60's, winds 5-10.
Tuesday - winds 12-25, air in the 70's. iS 111 and a 7.6
Wednesday - winds 5-20, air in the 70's. iS 111 and a 7.6
Thursday - winds 15-28, air in the 70's. HiFly 105 and a 6.0
Friday - Dr. appointment, winds light
Saturday - Forecast of winds 10-20, air in the 70's
Sunday - Forecast of winds 15-25, air in the 70's

Eat your heart out. I am retired so I can take advantage of our mild windy days.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, techno! Im not much of a lake guy, I prefer the frigid blue waters of the Pacific. I am jealous of the retired part though.
peer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: MaC Reply with quote

mac wrote:
It’s really not hard to arm yourself with a few facts. National employment data is kept by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. They show another reduction in all government employees from January 2010 to January 2011 of 140,000. Some segments of the economy are coming back—manufacturing added 49,000 jobs in January, and retail added 28,000. But construction continues to fall, losing 32,000 jobs in January 2011, Transportation and warehousing lost 38,000 jobs.

Numbers since the beginning of the recession are spun by orientation. The best numbers I could find were here: http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=1214, which shows that “State and local governments have eliminated over 400,000 jobs since August 2008, federal data show.” A conservative commentator acknowledges a loss of nearly 260,000 employees in local government since January 2008, but claims that the Federal and State governments added 130,000.

Of course, government job losses are small compared to the overall loss of 8 million jobs in the recession. The problem is that the biggest local government employee categories are public safety—fire and police—and teachers, where most of the losses occur.

It takes about 3 clicks to get to the current budget for the City of Hood River. I’ll save you some time: http://ci.hood-river.or.us/pageview.aspx?id=34680 I would guess that none of the other commentors have made a government budget, or testified at a council hearing. Roam around in it for a while, compare it to last year’s, and then makes some intelligent comments. The total general fund is $5.6 million, fire is $1.9 million and police is $1.5 million. The budget in 2008-9 was $6.0 million and police was $1.6 million.

Of course all of this is too hard for our resident knuckle dragger stevenbard. He never wants to be troubled by facts.

@ Mac. Reading your post I assume you are the mayor or involved with the city “government”. Reading your post I am reminded of two song titles. The first song I thought of reading your arrogant remark. “It takes about 3 clicks to get to the current budget for the City of Hood River” is Click Click Boom by Saliva. This is only two clicks and like the coyote story it is cheaper.
You don’t seem like an overly intelligent fellow to be screwing with cops and taking their jobs. Once you do that you might consider pulling what Saddam Hussein did and burrow into the ground. Be it in Sherwood or Hood River; because your actions are gonna stir a Shit Storm.
Although I am not a cop, I do wear a military uniform. Both uniforms in a way represent protection, for others. Who will protect the cops if you won’t? The second song I was thinking about is by Nonpoint called bullet with your name on it. I am a 30 year resident knuckle dragger, which I’m sure longer than you’ve been hear. Now these are facts you will not locate in any Bureau of Labor Statistics, but regardless these are facts.
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie said

Quote:
wow

bow wow!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: