myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hood River Cops might be on the chopping block
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I finally got around to checking out this thread and within one page it went completely off topic. I guess it was lucky it lasted that long...

However back on topic... Most of you have no clew ( Very Happy ) what it means to have county or state handling your city. MANY cities in California have this. What it means is that the state/country DEDICATES officers to that city. Many times they even wear the city uniform and drive city cars (not always). AND they are assigned to that city. So in many cases the residents don't even know unless they pay attention.

Pros... LESS financial overhead. Less officers needed (vacation relief, etc), No chief needed, less staff, etc. LESS cost to the city (normally only works on smaller cities, good luck with Portland trying this).

Cons.. The cops COULD get called away in an emergency more often. This happens anyway, but it COULD happen more often with country or state officers handling the city.

Personally I'm surprised that Hood River has it's own police department with a town this size. MUCH larger towns in California use Sheriff's as their police departments...
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
The cops COULD get called away in an emergency more often.

...calliing all cars! calling all cars! loon on the loose! I repeat...loon on the loose! Geezer under threat!

swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars howls at the moon. What else is new?

Johnl, now that you've ventured publicly over to the dark side, you'll get a picture of the scene here in the arena. I don't know though, especially with all the capitalized words. The jury is still out, not that I disagree with your comments.

Who knows, maybe you'll drift isobars' way, or possibly see a broader, more practical point of view.

Being honest, I have to wonder how long your sympathy for isobars will last? That's where the rubber meets the road.

Last edited by swchandler on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have good reasons for disliking isobars but this poster has said nothing one way or another about him.Perhaps everyone deserves a break?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker, perhaps, you're not keeping tabs on the dialog in all the forums here. If you did, I think that you'll better understand my post above.
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You REALLY (caps again) don't want to go there. This bully BS that goes on in this forum disgusts me. Nothing more then people being bullies. I would think MOST people would have grown up since 2nd grade. Granted you may or may not live in the US (although I would bet my house most of the posters do), things that go on in this forum would not be acceptable in public in this country. Yet for some reason people think it is okay here online. Probably because they like hiding behind a keyboard and don't feel responsible.

Very simple, You may not agree with some, all, or anything somebody may say and feel free to attack WHAT they say all you want. But some people here seem to think that it is okay to attack the person. That is NOT okay. And why the other members of this forum seem to allow it is beyond me.

As to Isobars, I don't agree with all he says, but I will support his right to say it as long as it isn't personal attacks. If you don't like what he says, you can respond to WHAT he says, or ignore it. Nobody says you have to have the last word. But to attack the person is childish, and quite frankly shows that you don't have the ability to have an intelligent battle with the person so you revert to your childhood ways.

In simple words, grow up and quit acting like 8 year olds....

Clear enough?

Oh yeah, I normally don't even read the non-winsurfing forums, but the post about Hood River police interested me. And since I know more about police work than probably anybody on this forum, I decided to respond.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks johnl for your comments.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, john, as far a isobars goes, honest dialogue was attempted long ago on my part when I first encountered him. I challenged him on something... his accusation of climate scientist's arctic ice core fakery as I recall. "glaciers calve, thats what glaciers DO, PAL..do your homework" Then he PONKED me. Ridicule is all I have left.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Constructive comments johnl, and I agree that Hood River, like many other small cities, may not be able to afford their own police force. Tough times force tough decisions, and contracting out might be something that ends up being positive. But remember that the thread started with our buddy isobars attacking the motives of the city officials with a paranoid rant rather than facts. Iso's style almost always involves personal attacks--I know, he called me a liar when I caught him misrepresenting a source. Just look at his escalation in some of the simple windsurfing equipment or destination threads. If someone ventures a different opinion he goes ballistic--try finding his posting about sandwhiches and parks in California.

I appreciate your efforts, which stayed on topic and above the fray.
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
Well, john, as far a isobars goes, honest dialogue was attempted long ago on my part when I first encountered him. I challenged him on something... his accusation of climate scientist's arctic ice core fakery as I recall. "glaciers calve, thats what glaciers DO, PAL..do your homework" Then he PONKED me. Ridicule is all I have left.

I understand Winddoggie. I'm sure others feel the same way. And then you have a choice to ignore him, or to argue with what he says. But attacking the person is not acceptable. There will always be people out there that you just can't get along with. But how you handle that situation shows your (not you, but people in general) level of civility.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: