myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
NSI feetbelt question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: NSI feetbelt question Reply with quote

I just got this really cool new custom board, and it cam with these really cool NSI straps that have the cam buckle in them. I assume that the cam strap should be to the inside, and I have figured out how to tighten them, and can release the cam, but can't get the things to loosen.

Any suggestions?
deltawindsurf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These straps have existed for awhile and have never really become popular for exactly the reason you're talking about... and the problems only become worse after the straps see some salt water. Here's a link that shows a picture of the cam buckle without the cover. To make them bigger you'll have to get inside the neoprene cover and pull on the other end of the webbing while you hold down the cam buckle. Once set they are pretty comfortable... just don't let anyone mess them after that.

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=16&idproduct=131
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply. I saw that, but can't get under the cover.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the bright side, DaKine or Chinook will be able to hook you up with a good solution.

With a new board, you want everything right.

Often in the past, I would buy the designer/builder's recommended fin to optimize the package. I've never regretted the added expense.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler,
yes, i went with these straps as they are the designers/builders recommendation to optimize the package, but I don't like them. Guess I will use some dakine's I have around here somewhere.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a bit curious, I checked out the two different footstrap models that NSI offers on their website. Although they show a detail of the cam or buckle, with the neoprene covers in place, it's tough to discern how they might work relative to tightening and loosening. I don't whether you have the cam or the buckle version, but I would think that the diecast cam one would tend to corrode over time in a saltwater environment.

I don't know if you attempted to contact NSI directly, but a telephone contact with a customer service rep could help out with unraveling your adjustment problems.

In the long run you might find the change to the velco adjustment systems offered by DaKine and Chinook is the way to go, especially if you share your board with others and adjustments are required. Footstraps are kind of like harnesses. For anything that requires adjustment for proper fit and performance is so often tied to our personal preferences.

Lastly, if you haven't yet used the NSI straps and are determined to make the change to the DaKine or Chinook product, you could elect to sell them on Craig's List. Given the fact that the NSI's retail in the $26 to $28 each range, you just might be able get enough money for them to cover your change to DaKine or Chinook at about $15 each.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the several dozens footstrap designs I've used for WSing, my favorite so far are DaKine's adjustable X-Lace Wave and Kite models. They work as advertised, which says a lot.

Mike \m/
andersbq

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: WSH Reply with quote

I have some Windsurfing Hawaii feetbels from 1990, works very well. I have used them on freestyle boards when I would needed double straps.
the tension system is made of plastics.

//Anders BQ

IMG_8298_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  310.58 KB
 Viewed:  17571 Time(s)

IMG_8298_2.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hoarded a few of those straps, too. Their adjustment strap slips a bit, but they're worth it for their comfort.

I'm equally crazy about that 80L Pro1111 Wave in the foreground. Those make GREAT Gorge boards! It's well balanced with a 5.7, and still very precise yet loose and totally trustworthy way overpowered with a 3.7. Twitch a toe and away ya go.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: