myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What should we cut to reduce the deficit?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
"16500 IRS agents running health care?"

Not according to fact check

http://www.factcheck.org/2010/03/irs-expansion/[/url]

As you know, Factcheck's discussion addresses primarily, explicitly, and at great length Paul's claim these hypothetical IRS employees would be ARMED. It only vaguely disputes the GOP's math implying that the IRS would need to hire 16,500 new employees. The confusion is why I phrased my IRS comment as a QUESTION, not a claim.

I get SO tired of You Guys' distortions ... and your baseless, empty, unsupported claims that I knowingly do the same.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike--you might actually be able to convince somebody of something if you tried this:

1) listen to opinions generated outside of talk radio
2) absorb the arguments and quote them accurately, particularly if you want to refute them.
3) pay attention to the dialogue.
4) when you don't seem to be convincing, consider the other arguments, don't just scream and call names.

Just a thought.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"2. The states already carry a huge part of education costs, and they lie to the public about those expenses in order to keep the money flowing. LA, for example, spends more than 250% of what they admit so taxpayers wrongly think public education is a better deal than private schools. One source among many is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzvKyfV3JtE ."

In my view, the above video from the Cato Institute is a thinly veiled push to promote a school voucher concept. It's interesting that folks at the Cato Institute really don't have a problem making a concocted specious argument for taking public taxpayers money to support a private education system. In essence, a strategy to Balkanize education in America by crippling the proven public education concept that has done so much for this country. Most sensible folks can see through the BS being pitched to promote raw self interest. There are nowhere near enough private schools to address the huge numbers of K-12 students in this country. It's a total right wing sham to selectively benefit the rich and certain religious elements in our society.

If folks want to sent their children to a private school, they have a free choice to pay for it, but that doesn't forgo their responsibility to pay taxes to support a public education system. I never had any children, but that fact didn't relieve me from the responsibility of paying taxes needed to fund public education in America.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree swchandler.

I have criticized the Department of Education because I feel that the states may be better at addressing the educational needs of their populations. However, I strongly believe that a public educational system is necessary and should be supported by ALL taxpayers.
mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
As with most politicians, he's preaching BS to his own choir and presuming everyone else is an idiot.

You certainly know of what you speak!

windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laughing emoticon!
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Mike claims that he doesn't read our posts he seems to be getting angrier. I wonder of he sneaks a peak now and then?
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iso "Why do we waste our time discussing all this stuff here? Not one of us has changed one mind on one issue yet'

I read these posts and change my mind a little each time I read something of value.I have also changed my mind a lot from certain posts.
That is why I read this stuff and rarely read Iso
If we paid a talk radio host to read our posts aloud like the Corporations and racists do, Iso would change his mind every day.
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well keycocker did you know that being liberal minded means to have an open mind? I have learned quite a bit from this forum despite the varying points of view. Mike already knows it all so he closes his mind to new ideas. It's really a shame but..WHATEVER!
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso
".....they apparently watched a private view, because what they saw not even remotely resembles what was broadcast. "Austerity"? (Continued deficit growth.) "A prescription for economic growth"? (How do higher taxes on small business owners grow the economy?) "Lower corporate taxes"? (He explicitly stated that only rates and loopholes would change, that corporate tax revenues would NOT change.) "A plea for bipartisanship"? (Translation: Now that the GDGOP controls the purse strings, we're forced to acknowledge their existence.) "

Extremists like mike wrote reviews like this one in advance of hearing O's speech. Saves a lot of thinking on their part. Obama is continuing the same appeal for bipartisanship that he has made from the first day to the Party of No.
Lucky that everyone else on earth except the bigots heard the same speech as the Times.
Here is a place to see a smart analysis (thanks mac)
www.factcheck.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: