myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What should we cut to reduce the deficit?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac, Building your home or business in a flood plane is like eating an In & Out burger. Your own choice. Why should the government have anything to do with the decision other than requiring the seller to disclose the facts prior to close of escrow or consumption. (lenders won't loan on those properties in the govt gets out of the insurance and banking industries)

Windsurf manufacturers post notices on boards about volume and safety. Should the feds now put limitations on boards because a sailor can't make it home when the wind dies.

How much nanny do we need? Conservatives believe in personal responsibility instead of nanny care. Regulations have destroyed America's ability to compete with the rest of the world. One good reason the stock market is rising is that they generate most of their revenue overseas now. Main street is devastated because of regulation at home. Small business cannot benefit from global trade.
jp5

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
.. Conservatives believe in personal responsibility instead of nanny care. .

Or Medicare or any kind of care.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the Republican cry for jobs, jobs, jobs last November, one wonders how they're doing on that scorecard. I'm thinking that their budget antics have muddied the water, and that will ultimately come back and haunt them, particularly Ryan's bold attack on Medicare and Medicaid. And, there's his huge tax breaks for the wealthy. Oh, that must be where the jobs come in, right? Not. It's just more of the same nonsense that hasn't worked for over 10 years. Also, the question must be asked, how are Americans going to pay for more tax cuts and still have a chance in hell reducing the deficit and paying down our debt?

Hey, the show is just getting started. On the near horizon, there's the issues of raising the debt ceiling and passing the 2012 budget. Moreover, we have the fanfare ramping up for the 2012 election where Republicans pick their rising star amid endless attacks on the Obama Administration and the Democrats in Congress. While screaming that America is bankrupt, there will be enormous amounts of money thrown at the election in an attempt to buy an outcome. Surely, a bit ironic, don't you think.
mac

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard--I'm betting you don't understand the different ways that we subsidize building in flood plains (spell checks are available), and other hazard zones. First, any losses that you incur are directly deductible from your tax burden. Thus, those of us who pay taxes subsidize people who choose to live in areas subject to inundation from river flooding or hurricanes, or erosions. The same applies to building in fire zones in the west, where the portion of property taxes paid doesn't come close to covering the costs of responding to fires. Of course conservatives have asserted the right to build there as a matter of property rights. Third, most home loans are sold to, or insured by the Federal government, providesd that they are elevated out of the flood plain, or buy insurance. But FEMA only collects about 1/3 of the costs they pay out. Now of course subsidies only are provided to those wealthy enough to buy a home,not the poor whom you disparage as looking for a handout. Handouts for the rich--ok. Food for the poor--bad, it saps the moral fiber of the country. Back to you.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say we all just put our diapers on and hope for the best.

The sad thing about the attack on Repubs medicare plan is that the repubs shouldn't have even mentioned it. It is a loser and libs knows it. obama will be out of office when medicare is finally broke, and no amout of taxes will fix it then.

Attack away, consevative shouldn't even mention it, because as you guys think they are so rich anyway, it shouldn't matter to them whether medicare survives or not. It is a bad political position.

I'm beginning to think we continue the party until the house collapses. We can change the diapers then. I wonder how the libs will solve it then? BTW, this issue could have been solved when they controlled both houses for 2 years.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevenbard wrote regarding Medicare

Quote:
I'm beginning to think we continue the party until the house collapses. We can change the diapers then. I wonder how the libs will solve it then? BTW, this issue could have been solved when they controlled both houses for 2 years.

I suppose it is Obama's fault that the population of over 65 will increase from 13% of the population to 20% of the population in the next 20 years.

Remember, that the Republicans pushed thruough Medicare Part D in 2003. Expected unfunded costs to the government over 10 years creeping up from $400 B to $550 B. Applied directly to the Debt. It will get even worse looking ahead.

Ryan gets kudo's from me for having the balls to put forward a losing proposition. The ironic thing is that if the Repubs piss off enough folks with this plan, maybe the current health care plan will survive. This plan has a better chance of actually controlling costs than a voucher system.

I think his plan is wrong. The voucher system will cause rationing if real cost control measures for all of medical care are not developed.

The best thing the Repubs could do to help Medicare to survive would be to stop fighting to repeal the health care plan and start working with the Democrats to draft cost control within the new plan.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
This plan has a better chance of actually controlling costs than a voucher system.

I think his plan is wrong. The voucher system will cause rationing if real cost control measures for all of medical care are not developed.

Rationing is an admitted, planned part of Obamacare, which the CBO says is nowhere near fiscally rational.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote

Quote:
Rationing is an admitted, planned part of Obamacare, which the CBO says is nowhere near fiscally rational.

CBO does not discuss "rationality". If you are saying that costs will exceed funds, the answer (per CBO) is yes. But, regarding Medicare spending, better than the current system, IF cost cutting measures can be integrated.

Here's the issue...Cost cutting is key to the health care plan (or any strategy) working. Why not concentrate efforts in government to craft a reasonable cost control strategy, instead of fighting over mandates or vouchers?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right coboardhead about the need to control healthcare costs, and that the healthcare reform plan was an excellent start, even with its perceived flaws. You are also right that Republicans have a chance to help craft improvements that will address cost factors that have been escalating for many years now. However, I don't think the Republicans can realize their potential because they'll never be able get around the mandate requirement, or the idea that the poor will need some form of government assistance. Top everything off with the fact that Republicans refuse to consider any kind of increased taxation leaves them completely crippled and incapable. Unbelievably, Republicans believe that lower taxation will somehow save us all and pay for everything, including paying down our debt. When you really think about it, they are the true believers and advocates for rationing. With no money, that's what you've got to do.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The media does it again.
AP poll result headlines blare, "People divided over looming debt crisis" .... as though that means ANYTHING at all.

For the 5,492nd time, the media:
• Tells us what we should think, then
• Asks us what we think, then
• Announces that what we think independently confirms what they told us in the first place.

For all we know, parrots HATE crackers, but if all we teach them is one phrase, how else can they say "Turn up the GD heat; I'm freezing my feathered ass off in this place" or "What does a bird have to do to get laid around here?". And when polled about their opinions on interracial marriage, all they can say is "I want a freaking cracker!".

My God, who's more stupid ... the media or the public?
And who's fault is that? The media have collectively told us the debt crisis, like AGW, ranges from a technicality to a nuisance to Armageddon; of COURSE we're divided. THAT'S NOT NEWS, nor does it have anything to do with original ideas about the debt or AGW.

"Who ya gonna vote for?", now, is news. All either side has to do now is find a candidate named "Cracker" -- or just find a genuwine cracker; parrots aren't very smart -- and give parrots voting rights.

I wouldn't put that past either party, but the Dems are well on their way towards perfecting that concept, considering the hundred million people who pay no taxes but get fat tax rebates and unearned entitlements just because they draw breath ... and vote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: