myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's next best harness similar to DaKine XTSeat?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Trust me, none of them work out for only 15 minutes let alone once a week. The dynamic workout they do just to warm up takes around 7-8 minutes.

Of course. There are aspects of what Iso says that have validity.........stressing muscles to failure should be a routine feature of resistance training...........but only as a part of a much broader conditioning program.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, lest anyone hire Mike Fiction as a trainer, let paid experience carry some weight. coachg and I are experienced coaches in sports that require immense amounts of power, speed and coordination. I recall that coachg is a football coach whereas I am a wrestling coach.

The truth is that whole body exercise can provide enormous benefit. Pushing, pulling and lifting a squirming person is one of the very best ways to achieve very high core strength in a way that traditional isolation training cannot. Windsurfing in high winds and chop can mimic some of the benefit that hand-to-hand, whole body combat sports provide. I think most of us can show this with our own bodies. On the other hand, no successful collegiate wrestler in the last 30 years (of which I'm aware, at least) reached that level without serious weight/resistance training in the most conventional sense.

Anyone familiar with MMA understands this conventional wisdom. One must lift regardless of other rigors incorporated one's training.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I INFINITELY prefer sailing for 8-10 hours at my recreational skill levels to sailing at a pro level for half that."

Wow! How about that guys? isobars, at 67 years old, can be a pro level sailor if he wants to.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
"I INFINITELY prefer sailing for 8-10 hours at my recreational skill levels to sailing at a pro level for half that."

Wow! How about that guys? isobars, at 67 years old, can be a pro level sailor if he wants to.

As you would say"what a pantload".
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:

As you would say"what a pantload".
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because what's at stake is lurkers' oft-stated desire to get and stay fit, I'm peeking through the curtain. I hope any lurkers trying to learn something useful have more open minds than these guys do; it may significantly enhance your conditioning efforts. You’re windsurfing, not training for the Olympic decathlon or clean’n’jerk; you get your skill training on the water. Don’t let these guys’ uninformed* dismissal of something they don’t understand and aren’t willing to study deny you the opportunity to investigate proven exercise paradigms that may improve your lives significantly. Consider something radical: do your own research and choose for yourselves, rather than letting unbelievers persuade you with largely unrelated or confused objections that their way is the only way.

* That's not an insult; it's demonstrated by their posts and it's understandable. Even the piles of books and research I've read specifically about these principles can't begin to cover it all, I've condensed it >99%, and these guys don't have the spare time I do to read this stuff.

Hell, these experts apparently can’t even put in a solid 4-hour session totally powered on a 4.2. What’s that say about their denial of basic conditioning principles used by the Japanese Olympic teams, U.S. Olympic sprinters, the first man to break the 4-minute mile, the 76ers, and the Philadelphia Ballet? I’m guessing these guys even recommend regular stretching, even before a game or match!

boggsman1 wrote:
1. My core discipline is road riding. If I could ride 15 minutes a week, and stay strong, what would I do with all the extra time?

2. WARNING ISO is going to state that when he means 4-5 hour sesh, he means nonstop!

1. This has absolutely nothing to do with anything I've said or read. You apparently weren't paying attention. You might be surprised, though, how little road riding does for WSing other than for the few very specific muscles common to both sports.

2. Nope; I crash, so it's not continuous. Otherwise, that's what a "session" IS; you launch, you sail, you return to shore. I'm becoming quite convinced that the few hours of training I'm doing this winter will allow me to keep putting in normal 4-hour sessions when the river warms up. I'm hoping for longer ones on perfect days or when the windline is quite a swim.

boggsman1 wrote:
My Bible is from Dr. Phil Mafetone. A guy Marc Allen credits for his 5 IronMan wins. Low stress aerobic training. EVERYTHING iso has said contradicts his theory.

Nope. Again, you apparently weren't paying attention, and I'm certainly not typing everything out for you guys. Both I and several of the books mentioned that specifically aerobic training is vital to rhythmic endurance athletes and activity. The book written by Iron Man top competitor Mark Sisson, who now trains IM competitors, specifically mentioned Allan and Maffetone as a perfect example of part of the author's training paradigm.

coachg wrote:
1. saying the same thing over and over while using half a page of this forum.

2. I am afforded the luxury the normal public isn’t. ...

3. The dynamic workout they do just to warm up takes around 7-8 minutes.

1. So I should have simply blown off Mrgybe's comments and questions? Are you saying he has no right to comment or ask, or that I have no right or obligation to respond?

2. And the highly renown trainers and team physicians who wrote these books and train many champions don't? Sorry, but that sounds like not only ignorance but arrogance.

3. Um, hmmm ... and by then a Superslow lifter has done his dynamic warmup AND completed more than half his whole-body strength-building for the whole week, because Superslow lifting includes a dynamic warmup.

mrgybe wrote:
1. stressing muscles to failure should be a routine feature of resistance training ...
2. only as a part of a much broader conditioning program.

1. Yup ... but at least in my gym, I don't see even ONE of its hundreds of patrons lifting to failure. They all rip off X reps and walk away.

2. As I’ve said, the research is mixed on whether other conditioning -- especially plyometrics -- is required. i.e., some research shows that plyo training helps plyo performance, other research shows that strength training achieves the same plyo performance. But once again, no one’s saying separate exact skill training is not mandatory … just that unless skill training exactly duplicates the sport in every dynamic, it is not transferable and may even have a detrimental impact on performance.

DanWeiss wrote:
1. coachg and I are experienced coaches

2. One must lift regardless of other rigors incorporated one's training.

1. How many Olympic gold medalists, NBL champions, Iron Man top contenders, and world champ bodybullders have you guys turned out? The guys writing these books and doing the research don’t have other day jobs; this stuff’s their life’s work and they get paid fortunes to do it.

2. Has anyone suggested otherwise?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a 6 hour session on a kite, followed by a 1 hour session on a windsurfer, after doing a two hour bike ride. This at 51 years old.

Dos Equis interview in order? Or am I too short? Very Happy

Seriously, I know some top mountain bike riders. Most put in at least three hours a day on a bike, then hit the gym or the pool!

Mrgybe is correct. It is all about what works for an individual's physiology and what his fitness goal is.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
mrgybe wrote:
1. stressing muscles to failure should be a routine feature of resistance training ...
2. only as a part of a much broader conditioning program.

1. Yup ... but at least in my gym, I don't see even ONE of its hundreds of patrons lifting to failure. They all rip off X reps and walk away.

I don't disagree............many people in gyms use improper form and poor training techniques.........their lack of knowledge doesn't invalidate long established proper conditioning methods.

isobars wrote:
How many Olympic gold medalists, NBL champions, Iron Man top contenders, and world champ bodybullders have you guys turned out?

I have never turned a champion of any sort in the field of athletics. However, I played squash to a high level for many years and, in the early 80s played an exhibition match against the reigning world champion, Jahangir Khan........he was world champion for 6 years and is regarded as probably the finest player of all time. For those who are not familiar with squash, at a high level it requires a level of conditioning that exceeds most other sports.........he was regarded as one of the fittest men in the world at the time. After the match we chatted about his training regimen........five days a week, one to two hours running followed by swimming plus an hour of "shadow squash" (simulated game on court alone with a coach shouting instructions).....and then he would play a game against an opponent. Day six, squash only........day seven, rest. Guess where I got my 6 day a week model from?................and yes, I recommend stretching before and after a match or any other strenuous activity.........particularly for the elderly! If only Jahangir had known about the 15 minute a week routine he could have learned how to crochet in his newly found spare time!

P.S. I lost!!
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. G,

Most recent studies indicate that there is no gain from stretching in preventing injury. The most recent study had half the U.S. Olympic team stretch and the other half not stretch prior to competition. There was no difference in injury rate. We have not pre stretched for football in 7 or 8 years and there have been no increases in injury. Under Bo Schembechler Michigan never pre stretched because he said "How can you start football pracitce with evey on laying around on their back?" Of course, we are talking about young athletes.

But I agree with you, stretching only helps as you get older to regain or maintain flexibility lost to time. It feels great after a good stretch and I figure yoga has been around for a long time. Like you said earlier, different workouts for different people. My doctor-a sports injury doctor-recommends I stretch as well. Rhonda Smith Sanchez showed me some excellent stretches for windsurfing that I do every day.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again for the lurkers trying to make sense of all this and choose a path to better fitness …

“Long established”? Berger's never-validated 3X10X6 days a week 1960s BB claims began getting bowled over by Arthur Jones' HIT BB champs within about a decade. The literature specifically suggests that only the Joe Weider industry-promoting juggernaut has fended off HIT strength building's popularity this long, and HIIT conditioning precedes aerobics by 30 years formally, maybe centuries in practice. Only momentum, misinformation, and a few special-purpose applications such as marathons have kept Cooper's aerobics folly (according to him) alive this long. HIIT began blowing LSD off the short-distance (e.g., a mile or a few K) tracks in the 1930s. The guys beating HIIT-trained runners were genetically superior HIIT-trained runners, and BB potential is almost purely genetic. (Jones would tell a newbie/wannabe BB, “Make a muscle”; if his bicep didn’t almost touch his forearm with the elbow flexed at 90 degrees. he’d pretty much tell them to “find another sport”. BB is constrained by the ratio of muscle length to tendon length, and that’s simple DNA.)

Keep in mind that far more injuries occur during training than during competition, so anything that achieves matching or superior fitness in significantly less training time is a winner. Much briefer, much higher-intensity strength/aerobic/anaerobic training time appears to achieve that, leaving the bulk of training time to the fun stuff ... playing weekend ball or windsurfing for us recreational athletes, specific sport skill drills and scrimmage for competitors. That combination should vastly reduce the time spent on mind-numbing, chronic-injury-producing, less effective, far less efficient, old-fashioned, rote “gym stuff and roadwork” while making more time and energy for vital sport-specific skill honing. Better yet, the skill honing segment relevant to this forum is called WINDSURFING. Our ratio of playtime (or pounds of fat shed or muscle gained) to workout time can apparently be increased something like tenfold with these approaches if we have the will power to work smarter and much harder very briefly.

The team physicians/trainers/competitors writing these books on strength and interval training continually rail against high volume and high frequency while praising high intensity. On an anecdotal level, a bud’s 3 closely-spaced full sets of leg presses @ 1,500 pounds got him strong, but that level of training left welds -- surgical scars -- on too many of his joints before he finished college, and that level of effort on the water has cost him extended agony and disability for years. There's got to be a happy medium. Getting 90-110% of the strength/aerobic/anaerobic benefits in 10% of the time should appeal to anyone dedicated enough to gut out the last agonizing lifts of a 12-minute Superslow circuit, 240 seconds of a lung-rending Tabata protocol blast, or a single weekly ripslog 15-20 minute fartlek session. According to every source and my workout log, I’m getting stronger, aerobically and anaerobically fitter, and leaner as I sit here typing, because almost all the benefits occur during recovery; only tissue damage occurs in a good workout, which is why they should be widely spaced.

Regular stretching increases joints' injury potential by allowing joint ROM to exceed their muscles’ protective zone, offloading joint protection 100% to the ligaments at their own outer limits. Pre-game stretching diminishes plyometric (e.g., jumping, sprinting, throwing ... any quick, powerful movements) performance quite dramatically, and may increase injury rates. About the only beneficial and non-harmful applications of stretching are injury rehab, sports such as ballet where freakish ROM trumps safety and strength, and in older people, especially when heading out into very strenuous endeavors, especially in chilly environments but only after a thorough warmup. You guys know, but many people don't, that "normal" (i.e. static) stretching is not a warmup and is much riskier if done before we break a little sweat; it also serves no purpose after a workout. Active stretching (think a cat after a nap) and dynamic (NOT ballistic) stretching are far more useful and safe than the usual motionless pretzel stuff we see recreational athletes doing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: