myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's next best harness similar to DaKine XTSeat?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The literature, as cited and discussed in dozens of exercise physiology books and sources such as the American College of Sports Medicine, disagrees with much of that. I gotta go with them. 2 hours a day is negligible compared to prime season Gorge WSing or to my lifetime history of skiing, racing dirt bikes and snowmobiles, and WSing all day long at about 12% ... many hours past the time my younger peers, including heavy duty runners and quadrathlon competitors @ 6%, collapse.

Mike \m/
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with coachg on this one..........I'm 6'3", 200lbs, 8% body fat. I exercise hard nearly every day. It's not unusual for me to spend 4-5 hours windsurfing in high winds before tiring..........however, an intense one hour boot camp type training session (which I endure twice a week) can leave me like a limp noodle for a while..........recovery is the key. Different activities place different demands on the body so they are not easy to compare...........and different physiologies respond to varying body fat levels in different ways.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
I exercise hard nearly every day.

Probably 100% of the books, studies, personal trainers, elite athletes, and college and pro team trainers I've read and consulted warn very adamantly how alarming that approach is in every way.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six days on........one day off...........works for me.........and the results, in terms of conditioning relative to my peers, speak for themselves. Everyone is different........get to understand your body and do whatever makes sense to you.....not to an author.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
I'm with coachg on this one..........I'm 6'3", 200lbs, 8% body fat. I exercise hard nearly every day. It's not unusual for me to spend 4-5 hours windsurfing in high winds before tiring..........however, an intense one hour boot camp type training session (which I endure twice a week) can leave me like a limp noodle for a while..........recovery is the key. Different activities place different demands on the body so they are not easy to compare...........and different physiologies respond to varying body fat levels in different ways.

Mr G. Ive just consulted with Dos Equis... and they are willing to cast you as the next "world's most interesting man".
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not again!!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Six days on........one day off...........works for me.........and the results, in terms of conditioning relative to my peers, speak for themselves. Everyone is different........get to understand your body and do whatever makes sense to you.....not to an author.

I had no problem doing your 4-5 hour high-wind sessions twice a day several days a week until I was in my 60s, and that was without a lick of gym time ... ever. I only began "working out" a few years ago, and only in the winter after abandoning winter sports. Also ... the side effects of overtraining may not show up for decades ... or can take a year to recover from even early in life. They're one of the reasons Kenneth Cooper now decries the aerobics he named and developed his career on.

Some experts with decades of records from thousands of amateur, professional, and Olympic clients claim that 97% of their clients lose strength if they repeat a proper strength workout within 7 days ... 14 for some pro bodybuilders. Maybe you're a 3 percenter ... maybe not; time will tell. It's exceeding my expectations; I've added whole-body visible muscle, a great deal of strength, and exceptional so-called "cardiovascular" capacity with zero fatigue or soreness by cutting my total combined strength and "cardio" exertion time back to about 15 minutes ... per week. (The extra 2-3% of body fat I want to shed came from no wind and an injury precluding gym time this past Fall).
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I refer to a 4-5 hour session, it has to be taken with a grain of salt......I suspect I'm not alone in that!! That time generally will include rigging/ de-rigging, adjusting/ changing sails, having a sandwich/ drink, taking care of bodily functions and making wild exaggerations of feats performed on the water to anyone who will listen on the beach. Actual time on the water.......7 minutes........well maybe longer than that, but you get my drift!!

If your exercise program works for you......that's great....go for it. I just don't know any serious athlete who trains 15 minutes a week........or any trainer who would recommend that.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr G . My core discipline is road riding. If I could ride 15 minutes a week, and stay strong, what would I do with all the extra time? WARNING ISO is going to state that when he means 4-5 hour sesh, he means nonstop!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because you aren't reading the books I am.

And my 4-5-hour sessions were continuous TOW, not prep. WMP says he once put in an 8-hr sesh, so I'm a piker. Who needs a gym in the Gorge in the summer?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: