myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's next best harness similar to DaKine XTSeat?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is the Power Belt’s powerful elastic. Even in my XL size, their biggest, it starts getting tight enough to impair breathing at about 33”, its minimal setting, which I left behind in high school. My old XTSeat had a non-elastic waist strap which I liked much more; set it to max expansion and go play. All-out wind sprints can be fun, but not while wearing a powerful elastic double band around the lower lobes of one’s lungs. One prolonged run in good swell and my only thought is where to find more air; I waste a lot of good sailing time floating in the water trying to breathe.

My solutions so far:
• Start hunting a new harness. http://tinyurl.com/4lrt2ab shows 12-15 options including the ones you guys are recommending.
• Scour the Hood River shops (I hate to buy something so personal without fondling it) for them, and consider buying unseen if necessary.
• Lengthen my Power Belt with surgery or a double-sided Velcro extender (that sounds simplest).
• Lower my body fat, but even at a svelte 12-14% my waist was challenging this harness. Heavy elastic just isn’t designed to facilitate heavy breathing.
carl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power belt doesn't take any load, it's just there to provide support shape. The straps connected to the harness hook carry all the load.
A velcro extension would probably work fine as there really doesn't need to be much tension on the belt.
The old XT had a small buckle instead. It really didn't do much. I set it loose most of the time. I'd bet the power belt could be set loose too with no ill-effect.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
The old XT had a small buckle instead. ... I'd bet the power belt could be set loose too with no ill-effect.

Both addressed in my previous post.
Why they call it an XL escapes me; what do XL men wear?

Mike \m/
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to get a Dakine Fusion. It's basically the same harness as the XT seat, just optimized for kiteboarding. There are minor differences, like the leg straps are not quick release, and there's a silly handle on the back in case you start to fly away. But the most important difference for you is that they offer the Fusion in a XXL. Could be worth at least locating one and trying it on.

Otherwise, I like the idea of the velcro extension strap for your current harness!

http://wind-nc.com
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think an accomplished aerospace engineer could craft a workable harness modification. Cut the elastic band off, and design yourself an alternative solution incorporating greater adjustability. I'm sure that a recognized Gorge hero could easy hire a local American worker to fabricate it and sew it all together.
carl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
carl wrote:
The old XT had a small buckle instead. ... I'd bet the power belt could be set loose too with no ill-effect.

Both addressed in my previous post.
Why they call it an XL escapes me; what do XL men wear?

Mike \m/

Wetsuits are like that too, 56 is as big as they get.
Most really big guys have to go custom.

Then try finding a higherwind board with enough float to slog home on!
Again the only option is custom or learn to slog a sinker,,,,(sorry OT rant over).
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
Wetsuits are like that too, 56 is as big as they get.
Most really big guys have to go custom.

Then try finding a higherwind board with enough float to slog home on!
Again the only option is custom or learn to slog a sinker,,,,(sorry OT rant over).

Fortunately, those aren't issues for me ... unless one counts the endless miles I've swum sinkers or sailed them off the wind sitting down simply because it's so much easier than slogging them.

Back to the Velcro extender: A bud who makes/modifies his footstraps and harnesses has given up trying to find Velcro even remotely as stout as what the manufacturers use. HOWEVER ... it turns out that DaKine often modifies Power Belts for bigger guys, so that problem may be solved. Their Hood River factory is just a couple of hours away, so a custom fitting session may be in order. They charge peanuts for such work.

Beats trying to lose 10# of fat without shedding useful muscle!
Arrgh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bite your tongues!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis_c wrote:
Bite your tongues!

Wink

Never said I was skinny. But 10# is just 5% body fat @ 200#, leaving me plenty of wiggle (jiggle?) room within the optimal body fat range. Even at 10% TOTAL body fat, which is almost too lean, the Power Belt is tight on me. Losing 10# would dip into muscle and/or get my body fat too low. The last guy I knew who boasted of his 6% BF had poor endurance; it's not a healthy percentage.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso,
Low body fat does not hamper endurance. Most distance runners hover between 5-8% body fat. In my kinesiology class my underwater weighed body fat was 4.5%. That was at a time I was playing, practicing or conditioning for football 2 hours a day, 6 days a week and it did not affect my endurance. Granted, under 5% is not healthy, especially over a long period of time, but there is absolutely no evidence that low body fat affects endurance.

The affect of body fat on each person is different based on a person’s physiology. For you, under 10% may be unhealthy and affect your endurance. For me, anything over 10% would worsen my endurance as I would start to look and feel like Humpty Dumpty.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: