myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
State Fiscal Problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pointster wrote:
.. and either irradiate me or touch my junk when I go to the airport.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday.....72 degrees, 25-35 SW; Tuesday 39 degrees, 25-30 NNE...........smokin'!! After 3 hours in 39 degree air and 40 something degree water, I'll challenge any airport screener to find my junk!!
pointster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that an icicle in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?
pointster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot off the press, a NY Times article on how well budget cuts work in growing out of a recession:
[url]
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/23/business/economy/23leonhardt.html?_r=1&hp[/url]
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote

Quote:
Monday.....72 degrees, 25-35 SW; Tuesday 39 degrees, 25-30 NNE...........smokin'!! After 3 hours in 39 degree air and 40 something degree water, I'll challenge any airport screener to find my junk!!

Laughing But I'm confused. You were IN the water?
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe, shrinkage is only a problem if you're in the water for too long.

Needless to say though, if you're styling on the water, I have to say that I'm envious and respect you're steely "go for it" attitude.

Who says that old guys don't rule?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said:

“Despite what some among us would like to believe; it is not because of our creative ideas. It is not because of the merit of our positions. It is not because we care about children and it is not because we have a vision of a great public school for every child. NEA and its affiliates are effective advocates because we have power.”

“And we have power because there are more than 3.2 million people who are willing to pay us hundreds of millions of dollars in dues each year, because they believe that we are the unions that can most effectively represent them, the unions that can protect their rights and advance their interests as education employees.”

“This is not to say that the concern of NEA and its affiliates with closing achievement gaps, reducing dropout rates, improving teacher quality and the like are unimportant or inappropriate. To the contrary. These are the goals that guide the work we do. But they need not and must not be achieved at the expense of due process, employee rights and collective bargaining. That simply is too high a price to pay.”

Who said it? The National Education Association’s retiring top lawyer, Bob Chanin, speaking at the NEA’s annual meeting in July, 2009. Google it; it's at your fingertips and should PISS YOU OFF, especially since unions are the Democrats' biggest donors. [Education] is to high a price to pay if it interferes with union rights including collective bargaining? You WANT your kids in schools like that?

Betcha didn't see THAT on MSNBC.
pointster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

In the five states that don't allow teachers to organize SAT/ACT scores are at the bottom. Wisconsin, with union teachers, ranks number two.

I suggest that if you want to discuss the relationship between teacher unions and educational outcomes, you should start another topic, since the subject here is state fiscal problems.

I wonder if spending your entire working life in a top-down authoritarian structure has denied you the opportunity to see firsthand the benefits of other types of organization of work life. I have been in the military, worked if factories, been a union steward, been a manager, travelled extensively in international sales, and worked for a non-profit. I have come to appreciate that there is not just one right way to do things.

Getting old, unfortunately, does not automatically make one wise: there's no fool like an old fool.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pointster wrote:
1. I wonder if spending your entire working life in a top-down authoritarian structure ...

2. Getting old, unfortunately, does not automatically make one wise

1. I wouldn't know; I've worked for blue chip corporations, for a mom&pop (literally) shop, and been a self-employed contractor in several capacities. Even in the Air Force my work was largely self-directed research and management thereof; we used first names pretty much anywhere between the levels of two stripes and bird colonel, and the military:civilian ratio was about 1:10. Most of my bosses, peers, and subordinates in every job were civilians.

I chose this thread because of the negative impact unions have had on state and corporate fiscal solvence and in elections. Unions, like environmental agencies and gaggles, did their best work scores of years ago and have to a very large extent become very negative forces on everything, everyone, and every institution this side of union headquarters. Fortunately, the public is catching on, and WI is leading the charge to rein them in to a rational level. Watch for more dominoes to be shaken up if WI doesn't cave.

2. Nor does having a membership in the NYT website; in fact, that does just the opposite.
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
WI is leading the charge to rein them in to a rational level.

AKA the Koch Industries PAC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: