myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tragic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Mac

Excellent post on separation of church and state. Your post was much more eloquently stated than mine. I just cannot resist getting "snarky" back to stevenbard's sarcasm and mrgybe's selective quoting and twisting of my comments.

Isobars. Your last post was correct. I was putting words in mrgybe's mouth. It was intended to be tit for tat based on his selective editing of my posts. I understand you are filtering out (plonking) many of the posters here. As a result, I think there may be some misunderstanding of the context of my comments.

Yeah...I've already suggested Mr. G enter the Olympic sports of twisting and clipping, and pasting....I project Gold medals across the board!
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsy--I don't think you can say that religion is necessarily a net evil. I stayed a Catholic into my twenties, and value it (but mostly my parents) for the strong ethical code I received. It just ends up run, and often abused, by a lot of flawed humans. I don't think that priests abused children more than figures in other religions--the problem is the Catholic church covered it up, repeatedly, and sent the priests to places where they could do it again. There are truly saintly people in the world with strong senses of religion and god, and they do good, and have a clear idea of their misssion.

I don't even object to the social benefits of evangelicals. My brother was an addict until he found "Jaysus", and is, marginally. better off. The problem with evangelicalism in particular is the presence of lots of charlatans like Reed and the Focus on the Family crew, and their determination to subvert the Constitution. Substituting reading only the Bible for a broad (dare I say "liberal") education is a very scary thing.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:

"I understand you are filtering out (plonking) many of the posters here. As a result, I think there may be some misunderstanding of the context of my comments.

... tit for tat based on his selective editing of my posts"

isobars wrote:

"Very possible. I try to watch out and allow for that, but I sometimes miss the unknown unknowns. Sorry if and when that's the case. It is well worth screwing up now and then considering the bales of BS it eliminate from my life.

If MrGybe has been doing that intentionally, shame on him. Doing that deliberately is one of the surest ways I know of to get PLONKed.

Last edited by isobars on 23 Jan 2011 00:34; edited 1 time in total"

Unreal! I have to commend you coboardhead, you've extracted the closest thing to an apology from isobars that I've seen. Is the old troll lightening up? Only time will tell.

Really though, it's only about the folks he elects to see..... To bad he still takes a blindered view. Not very American on the scheme of things. Yet, when it gets down to it, tolerance isn't very high on his list.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
I was putting words in mrgybe's mouth. It was intended to be tit for tat based on his selective editing of my posts.

I used only a couple of sentences from your post in the interests of brevity. Please tell me how that editing mischaracterized the full version of the post.

I gave a reasoned response to, what I considered an overreaction to the hymn video. I hope you are not joining the ranks of the name callers and finger pointers.........I briefly went down that path........you will likely regret it as I did.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
religion is a net negative. Wars, opinions on the world force fed to you, and a crutch, if you ask me. Maher had it right, its a man made mistake. Going to church, enjoying time praying, fine, but I prefer to do it outside the Golden Gate Bridge in 15 foot rolling swell. People do bad things and then say religion saved them...atheletes hit homers then point to the Heavens"thank you God for making me an awesome baseball player". Im just not buying it, I guess Im on the side of Mr. G.'s countryman Chris Hitchens on this one.

Christopher Hitchens is not a countryman of mine. As for the rest of your post..........I've educated you on many things; the positives of religion would simply take too long. You'll have to be content with worshiping your heroes, Soros, Maher and the S&P.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a sad thing not to have faith. Faith in something other than man, who is so flawed. Millions thought that Hitler was the way, now millions think Obama and big government are the way.

We should be free to fail or succeed. Free of government tyranny.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

posted twice

Last edited by keycocker on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Bard. So how?
Bush wasn't the answer. The GOP grew the gov. as fast as they could. Obama hasn't reduced it.The GOP is hoping we are dumb enough to believe their program is somehow different now that they are largely out of power.
Completely eliminating Gov. rules and social engineering gets you a country like Sudan. Iso and I like countries with social programs (disability, vet benefits, etc) like the US or Canada, England, France New Zealand a lot better.
Large scale programs intended to help us like health reform are not well run on such a massive level. We have free or cheap health care here on the island where I live. It is supplied as foreign aid from Cuba, but that is much easier to do for 1500 people.
Iso solutions are parroting the lobbyists and there are many others who are buried under that propaganda as well. This group is not the only ones who will never be able to think for themselves without the radio issuing instructions.
Countries where the free market totally rules are nightmares like Somalia.
Here is the central question asked by Real Politics.
Cut the rhetoric.
What do we do?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
I used only a couple of sentences from [Coboardhead's] post in the interests of brevity. Please tell me how that editing mischaracterized the full version of the post.

I briefly went down that path........[Coboardhead] will likely regret it as I did.

I don't know whether Coboardhead will regret it, but I can clearly recall my reaction the first time he did it: Here's another dedicated democrat trying to convince himself and us that he's a middle-of-the-road independent. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it does look an awful lot like the two scrawny young ladies at our gym who do cardio for hours every day while refusing the trainers' advice to get help for their OBVIOUS anorexia.

I avoided slinging tits at others' tats (or is the appropriate plural "tatas?) for years for two reasons:
1. It's like voting; it encourages them.
2. It grants them a tiny little victory each time they drag a piece of us into their cesspool.
3. We can never again say that we never slung any mud.
4. It gives them a shred of misleading evidence to throw to the casual reader or flaming sycophant who's not keeping score.
5. I can't count.

HOWEVER ...
1. Our very existence on the other side of that political fence encourages them. i.e., nothing we do or avoid doing matters, so our only constraint is self-imposed. This gives us free reign to unimpose it any damn time we wish to stoop to their level.
2. Which doesn't matter, because they CLAIM victory regardless of what just actually happened. After all, it's easier to CLAIM one than to actually WIN one. It's like Pelosi -- the biggest spender in world history -- claiming that deficit control is her mantra.
3. So we add a "seldom" and soldier on, adding proof if we do sling some mud at an individual. Sometimes a jab here or an uppercut there just feels good, and the more astute lurkers recognize the difference between our accurate, provable, reality-based jabs and the left's blind roundhouses.
4. Who cares about the sycophants? Besides, all the dissection in the world isn't going to swing the lurker who's not reading closely.
5. Well, I can ... but this stuff ain't worth the effort.

Your brevity was totally clear, well appreciated, and not misleading. It was just something for them to latch onto and target, like "blood simple" or a misspelling. They're desperate, diversionary, and -- now that Olbermann's been fired -- devastated.

Let's all bow our heads over Olbermann's depar -- OK, that's long enough. As long as he's replaced by Garafalo, or Maher, or Sharpton, or Behar, or O'Donnell, or Keycocker, or half the guys and gal on my $#!+ list, we'll never notice the difference, and MSNBC can just keep swirling down the ratings toilet bowl with their ideological peers.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I misspoke...........Christopher Hitchens is a US citizen and, therefore, is a fellow countryman of mine.......he and I also share a number of similarities in our educational background. I enjoy his eloquent use of the English language......unlike Maher, he can make an argument without an expletive or a sneer. I disagree with him on matters of faith and I find despicable some of his commentary on people like Mother Theresa.

He is very sick. I wish him well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 33 of 36

Jump to: