myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Moving to Oregon from California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bravo PacSpeed....that was laser like in its precision. ISO's rant about bailing out Cali is laughable. As goes cali, goes the USA. Its a state of 38.8 MM people, which account for 13.4% of US GDP. When facebook prints a couple thousand 10-millionaires and they retire to Oregon and Washington that is a benefit to other states. Each state could not stand on its own two feet fiscally, some states have no net positve output, yet some have excess output. Pacspeed correctly points out that we(cali) get less than a dollar back for each dollar we send to Washington DC, so other states are not bailing out cali, anymore than I am bailing out Mississippi, West Virginia, or anyother state that pays no Fed taxes.
30knotwind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your consideration:
Red State Welfare: Why the "Real America" should quit complaining about pork and earmarks.

Also, I find it amusing/frustrating when 'conservatives' complain about debt and 'socialization' of institutions. Republicans have no legs to stand on after the Bush era of "spending like drunken sailors" (McCain) and "spending on crack" (Sachs); all the while starting multiple unnecessary wars while cutting taxes. Not to mention destabilizing the financial system by deregulating markets (mortgages, CDOs etc) and relaxing oversights (Securities and Exchange Commision)--it was the height of irresponsibility.

@Isobars, enjoy your retirement, really, we'll pay for it later.

Last edited by 30knotwind on Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
mogunn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacspeed -- excellent reply on every point!
Mazel tov!

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacspeed wrote:
Your cognitive abilities are clearly not up to the task of parsing the irony.

That probably extends to any form of irony, and perhaps more generally to humour. But give isobrr a break - all his tremendous brain capacity is 100% devoted to re-iterating the same points over and over again, because some people on this forum are just too ... to see the wisdom of his opinions!

Can you imagine the energy it takes to keep preaching like only isobahh can? The brain-drain from having to re-iterate the same points over and over again in thousands and thousands of posts?

So no surprise poor old iso feels victimized; starts talking about physical violence; and swears when someone dares to question his right to talk for all windsurfers! Please, give the guy a break (or a few Smile)!
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when isobars eats crow. Well done pacspeed!
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving to Oregon from California Reply with quote

Ben,

I'm a new transplant from California to Hood River. I've been here a big whopping 3 months, but I can give you some insight...\

I've been coming up here for 15 years for about 1 month every summer from the SF Bay area. I moved to the SF Bay area from OC about 20 years ago.

1. The winter in HR SUCKS. Be prepared for that. Limited sun, a LOT colder than LA. The Hood River area gets locked into overcase skies with freezing rain and snow while the majority of the Portland areas just get rain or sun. So if that will bother you, then you might want to stay west of the gorge.

2. From what I've seen east of the gorge is colder and has more snow problems. But I think they may get more sun. Isobars can fill you in on that once everybody gets off his back.

3. Hood River is a COOL small town community. If that is what you are looking for, then you will probably like it, but it is a SMALL town. Especially compared to what you are used to.

4. Look in the adds for jobs. Engineering jobs seems to be the big hits in the gorge area right now. But that doesn't mean Computer Science is a bad one. Check out http://www.hoodrivernews.com/ for their listings on local jobs.

If you look at the stats, the Gorge gets most of its rain December - March. Of course it still rains just about every month but July, but most is in the winter. Also my experience so far is that it's a constant rain, not a downpour like we had in the SF bay area (that sucked). So most of the time you can get out and do stuff if you want to.

I haven't gotten any attitude that we hate California yet, and we still have two of our cars with California plates. But then again, I haven't been out that much due to the winter weather. My experience with the people in my neighborhood is MUCH nicer than anything I ever had with California neighbors. But then again, after 29 years of being a cop, I am far from afraid to walking up to strangers and speaking Smile

If you want any more information, feel free to PM me and we can swap e-mails. That way you will be free from the political rants that seem to pop up every winter (lack of wind = too much free time).

Oh yeah, the homes are NOT cheap in Hood River. Statistics show something like $250k as the median, I'm not sure where they get that....

John

benspikey wrote:
I have an opportunity to move to Oregon for work.
The life question I'm facing is ..
Should I pack up my things and go?

First off, I am single 32 years old and a skilled professional with an MS in Computer Science and roughly 120K in the bank.

I currently live in southern California where I have grown up except for when I went to school in northern Cali, CSU Chico. I loved the small town feel and getting to know everyone. The changing seasons and slower pace of life really brought me closer to myself/nature.

I spend every weekend during the summer chasing wind and have spent at least a week in the gorge for the last 3 years.

My biggest concerns are:
- Moving away from family / friends
- Rain ( although I ski and snowboard so this might be a plus )
- The we hate California mood from locals

My biggest motivators are:
- World class windsurfing with a bunch of like minded board-heads
- Better living conditions ( rent / housing prices )
- Nature / hiking, biking, snow, camping

My reasons for wanting to leave LA
- Traffic ( i drive the 5 freeway, 134 freeway, and 210 on a daily basis )
- The Hills LA dream life is only for the super rich
- Cheapest house in the area is a 400K shack or a 3 hr commute to work

Someone on here must have made this move?
Anything missing here that I should be thinking about??

How is doing the weekend warrior commute from portland to hood river? I think i might set up a base and then decide where I want to go.. Work is mostly remote so i'm sure I can talk myself into any location..

FYI I searched the boards and read a bunch of great info about this already..
Tax benifits on wa / or..
Poor public education

Thanks Everyone for the input.. Maybe 2011 will be the year?
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Isobars can fill you in on that once everybody gets off his back."

Come on johnl, if isobars hadn't of crossed the line in the beginning, he wouldn't have suffered any grief. But as history would readily attest, isobars can't help but get in trouble. You've been here long enough to know that.
Bond1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
"Isobars can fill you in on that once everybody gets off his back."

Come on johnl, if isobars hadn't of crossed the line in the beginning, he wouldn't have suffered any grief. But as history would readily attest, isobars can't help but get in trouble. You've been here long enough to know that.

You mean "Come on johnl, if isobars hadn't have crossed the line..."
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving to Oregon from California Reply with quote

johnl wrote:

1. The winter in HR SUCKS.
....Unless you ski 40min. to one of the best mt in the US (meadows). I have to drive 80min. to meadows, 60 to ski bowl from PDX.

Last edited by andymc4610 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bond1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving to Oregon from California Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
johnl wrote:

1. The winter in HR SUCKS.
....Unless you ski 40min. to one of the best mt in the US (meadows).

Plus you can park downtown.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: