myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why the GOP IS the root of all evil...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 236, 237, 238 ... 250, 251, 252  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess California needs to develop some new regulations to prevent wine spills. On the other hand, FDA regulations do exist, but maybe OSHA needs to get involve by hiring a few dozen winery inspectors in Calif. so future spill will be prevented. I wonder of PETA is involved because of the dead or drunk fish? I guess all winery's should be moved a half mile from all streams and rivers to prevent future pollution. California needs to get with it and create more regulations to protect the environment.

Quote:
Nearly 100,000 gallons of wine spilled from Northern California vineyard
Ryan W. Miller
USA TODAY

Almost 100,000 gallons of wine spilled from a tank at a Northern California vineyard and some leaked into a river that flows into the Pacific Ocean.
Rodney Strong Vineyards in Healdsburg said much of the wine that escaped was captured in pumps and drainpipes in ponds at the winery or pumped from Reiman Creek after staff became aware of the leak in a blending tank on Wednesday.

"But, unfortunately some wine made it from the creek into the Russian River," vineyard spokesperson Chris O’Gorman wrote in a Facebook post.
O’Gorman told the San Francisco Chronicle that some of the Cabernet Sauvignon spilled directly into the creek. He told the newspaper the winery estimates about half of the tank's contents were captured.

The extent of the leak and its impact was not immediately clear. An estimated 46,000 to 96,000 gallons made it into the Russian River, according to Governor’s Office of Emergency Services, which was notified of the incident Wednesday.

Don McEnhill, executive director of nonprofit Russian Riverkeeper, told the Santa Rosa Press Democrat that the wine spill is likely the biggest in Sonoma County history.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
I guess California needs to develop some new regulations to prevent wine spills. On the other hand, FDA regulations do exist, but maybe OSHA needs to get involve by hiring a few dozen winery inspectors in Calif. so future spill will be prevented. I wonder of PETA is involved because of the dead or drunk fish? I guess all winery's should be moved a half mile from all streams and rivers to prevent future pollution. California needs to get with it and create more regulations to protect the environment.

Quote:
Nearly 100,000 gallons of wine spilled from Northern California vineyard
Ryan W. Miller
USA TODAY

Almost 100,000 gallons of wine spilled from a tank at a Northern California vineyard and some leaked into a river that flows into the Pacific Ocean.
Rodney Strong Vineyards in Healdsburg said much of the wine that escaped was captured in pumps and drainpipes in ponds at the winery or pumped from Reiman Creek after staff became aware of the leak in a blending tank on Wednesday.

"But, unfortunately some wine made it from the creek into the Russian River," vineyard spokesperson Chris O’Gorman wrote in a Facebook post.
O’Gorman told the San Francisco Chronicle that some of the Cabernet Sauvignon spilled directly into the creek. He told the newspaper the winery estimates about half of the tank's contents were captured.

The extent of the leak and its impact was not immediately clear. An estimated 46,000 to 96,000 gallons made it into the Russian River, according to Governor’s Office of Emergency Services, which was notified of the incident Wednesday.

Don McEnhill, executive director of nonprofit Russian Riverkeeper, told the Santa Rosa Press Democrat that the wine spill is likely the biggest in Sonoma County history.

Talk about nutty. Techno, with his continuing ignorant hatred of California tries to divert from a chemical explosion that killed people by comparing it to a spill of wine. Obviously anything that happens in California is worse than anything that happens anywhere else in the world. Unlike the Trump administration efforts to throw safety regulations under the bus, California will investigate the spill, determine the root cause, and take appropriate action.

In North Carolina, nutty Techno justifies gerrymandering by Republicans that "targets minorities with surgical precision" by saying "Johnny did it." In California, we took the job of re-districting out of the hands of politicians who would benefit from gerrymandering. It's called reform You can even look it up.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the immortal words of Dan Hicks--How can I miss you when you won't go away?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are still able to detect humor and are not perpetually angry:

2017 Rodney Strong Cabernet Tasting notes:

Deep brown color. Aromas of rich dark currents, algae and gushing waters with an abundance of fragrant stonewort, minerals and metal. Full-bodied and saucy with undertones of unregulated silt. Dense characteristics make it perfect for cellaring, however it is drinkable now if it is exposed, once again, to the earth’s atmosphere. This is a delicious Sonoma Cabernet! Has been matured for 24 hours in an aquatic environment possibly involved in the 2016 election. 32 points.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gybe .. c’mon man .. Cabernets have been on the outs for 20 years now ..With the rise of wealth of the Gen X era, Y’s and millennials , easier drinking varietals have taken over a lot of the volume ...It’s probably a good thing Rodney Strong dumped a few gallons of their lame Cab ..
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally don't look for guidance on viniculture from Xs or Ys, but even they know that Cabernet IS a varietal. BTW, the RS cab is not lame. It is not at all bad at the price, as is their Pinot. I may be staying away from the 2017, however.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boggs--when I first discovered fine wines, with wines mostly from the 1968 vintage, you could buy the best wine in California, Heitz Martha's Vineyard, for $12/bottle, and perhaps the second best, BV Georges Latour Private Reserve, for $8. When Diamond Creek first came out with wines, I think they were $30, and the 1978 was legendary. All Cabernets. Alas, it is hard to find a really good cab now for under $50.

But don't despair--you can find California's other classic wine, Sonoma Zinfandel, often for under $20. And some cabernets, like Freemark Abbey, are still a very good deal. I'll open a 2013 in about an hour.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After hearing her comments on the first day of the Trump lawyers rebuttal, I googled "Is Joni Ernst really that stupid?" I was not the first. Here's the funniest result:

Quote:
On this date in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” published profiles of U.S. Senator Joni Ernst of Iowa, the woman whose original campaign for office in 2014 was built around running ads where she shot up copies of the Affordable Care Act with a gun (which she offered as a 2nd Amendment alternative to the government not operating as we like three weeks prior to the election), and promised to go to Washington, D.C. to use her experience growing up on a farm castrating hogs to make veteran politicians “squeal”.

Since being elected, Sen. Ernst has continued to be a vacuous never-ending stream of moronic, pandering statements. A few examples include her State of the Union rebuttal where she talked about walking home from school wearing bread bags on her feet on wet or snowy days during “tough times” (which she grew up during the Reagan administration, so…), the time she said Hillary Clinton “wasn’t doing enough on women’s issues” (ignoring like, her entire quarter century record on them), and claiming President Obama ordered flags lowered to half mast after a mass shooting in Chatanooga because “he wanted to distract from the Iran deal”. She also voted against funding the Department of Homeland Security, as well as voted to defund Planned Parenthood in her first nine months in office. And the GOP is hell bent on making Joni Ernst one of their “rising stars” of the party.

Giving her the rebuttal of the 2015 State of the Union wasn’t enough for them, and they wanted to make sure she got a prime-time slot at the 2016 Republican National Convention to cement herself nationally as a figure in the Republican Party. There was just one problem… the 2016 RNC was, of course, being overseen by the wisdom of Donald J. Trump. As such, the long line of Trump-backed speakers coming out to fearmonger pushed Ernst’s remarks further and further back into the night, as well as The Donald’s own WWE-styled entrance on Night 1 of the convention just to introduce his own wife, Melania, so she could plagiarize Michelle Obama at length took precedence. By the time Joni Ernst got on stage to bad-mouth Hillary Clinton (which everyone else had already spent the whole night doing), over half the delegates and attendees had already left that night, probably closer to nine tenths (check the photo from correspondent Alan Rappeport). Those who remained had already been in their seats for over four hours, and barely seemed to even notice a U.S. Senator was pandering to them, and Ernst reported found speaking to an empty arena “excruciating”. We find that to be true of her voting record, where she has twice voted to defend the Second Amendment rights of suspected terrorists, and feels that anyone on the “no fly list” should still have a firearm. And even though she claims she’s “pro-life” to her core, Ernst voted against funding for the prevention of the spread of Zika Virus, which causes birth defects in the unborn.

In 2017 and 2018, Joni Ernst voted for the Senate GOP’s attempt to repeal Obamacare that crashed and burned on a 51-49 vote, voted to place Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh onto the Supreme Court, and voted to confirm every single member of Donald Trump’s “Cabinet of Horrors”. That’s part of the reason her constituents wanted to make the supposed pig farmer “squeal” herself when she has returned to Iowa for her own halls in July of 2017, where people who depend on affordable healthcare to survive have kept her scrambling, and the only real applause she got through the whole night was when she agreed with them that Donald Trump should release his tax returns.

The stooges must be proud that they are as stupid as a Senator.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Boggs--when I first discovered fine wines, with wines mostly from the 1968 vintage, you could buy the best wine in California, Heitz Martha's Vineyard, for $12/bottle, and perhaps the second best, BV Georges Latour Private Reserve, for $8. When Diamond Creek first came out with wines, I think they were $30, and the 1978 was legendary. All Cabernets. Alas, it is hard to find a really good cab now for under $50.

But don't despair--you can find California's other classic wine, Sonoma Zinfandel, often for under $20. And some cabernets, like Freemark Abbey, are still a very good deal. I'll open a 2013 in about an hour.

I know!! I remember the George Latour, Caymus Special Select, and Heitz all used to be reasonable...Now, CA wines are off the charts expensive, just like many other luxuries..
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
mac wrote:

I know!! I remember the George Latour, Caymus Special Select, and Heitz all used to be reasonable...Now, CA wines are off the charts expensive, just like many other luxuries..

Despair not. About the same time I bought a case of 1970 Latour for $15/bottle, and often bought Freemark Abbey cabernet. The 2013 was most excellent, and when released the 2014 sold for $39.95. https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1343590
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 236, 237, 238 ... 250, 251, 252  Next
Page 237 of 252

Jump to: