myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why the GOP IS the root of all evil...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 224, 225, 226 ... 250, 251, 252  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
real-human

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alabama rep says that if the women are telling the truth about Roy Moore they should be prosecuted

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/11/10/1714503/-Alabama-rep-says-that-if-the-women-are-telling-the-truth-about-Roy-Moore-they-should-be-prosecuted

real-human

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/11/11/1714853/-Why-do-Republicans-prefer-a-Pedophile-to-a-Democrat-A-Short-History-of-Demonization
Why do Republicans prefer a Pedophile to a Democrat? A Short History of Demonization

real-human

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McConnell held 100 judiciary positions open so he could get partisan incompetents like this in:

Quote:
A 36-year-old lawyer who has never tried a case and who was unanimously deemed “not qualified” by the American Bar Association has been approved for a lifetime federal district judgeship by the Senate Judiciary Committee.
The lawyer, Brett Talley, is the fourth judicial nominee under President Trump to receive a “not qualified” rating from the bar association and the second to receive the rating unanimously. Since 1989, the association has unanimously rated only two other judicial nominees as not qualified.
The Senate committee’s vote on Thursday to approve Mr. Talley, who graduated from Harvard Law School in 2007 and is a deputy assistant attorney general at the Justice Department, fell along party lines; Republican members outnumber Democrats on the committee 11 to nine. Mr. Talley will now face a full vote in the Senate. If confirmed, he would serve as a trial judge in his home state of Alabama.

Mr. Talley’s nomination is just one of the latest examples of Mr. Trump’s efforts to reshape the nation’s courts, packing them with young, deeply conservative judges.
Mr. Talley’s lack of experience drew searing questions from Democratic members of the committee. Senator Richard J. Durbin of Illinois, the minority whip, asked Mr. Talley in a written questionnaire, “Do you think it is advisable to put people with literally no trial experience on the federal district court bench?”

Worst Senator sitting, perhaps of my life. Completely in the pocket of big oil, big pharma, and big coal.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the right thread for this.

Now, the GOP, as part of tax reform, wants to eliminate the health insurance mandate in Obamacare. They cannot affect the subsidies or the general requirements of the insurance reforms in the law, but they can make the individual marketplace insolvent.

In my area of Colorado, the Trump Administration holding onto the subsidy money and not sending it to the insurance companies overnight increased insurance rates in the individual market by over 30%. That money came from reduced payments to hospitals to providers under Medicare.

The affected individuals will be middle class and upper middle class sole proprietors and small businesses because they will be picking up the tab. So much for the tax reforms providing any relief for those folks.

My insurance bill is now $2700 per month and a $6500 deductible per person. This tax "reform", if it includes the mandate, will increase that premium another $300 per month. I will pay $43000 per year for health care before I get any insurance payments. This is not Obamacare...This is Trumpcare. ALL of that premium is tax deductible in our businesses. Which means the Federal and State Governments are picking up a huge portion of these increases.

Welcome to the funny math of the GOP. Rob the middle class to provide short term profits for the wealthy.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead said:
Quote:
My insurance bill is now $2700 per month and a $6500 deductible per person. This tax "reform", if it includes the mandate, will increase that premium another $300 per month. I will pay $43000 per year for health care before I get any insurance payments. This is not Obamacare...This is Trumpcare. ALL of that premium is tax deductible in our businesses. Which means the Federal and State Governments are picking up a huge portion of these increases.

Ok, you have to explain that one. Thump hasn't made any health care changes yet. You are one of the lucky ones that gets to subsidize those getting Obamacare at little or no cost. Since the inception of the ACA, insurance premiums have been going up significantly each year, and will continue if we do nothing. If Hillary had won, where would your premiums be?

My wife was one of those subsidizing Obamacare too, until she went on Medicare.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno

Trump cut payments to insurance companies for the subsidies by executive action. The subsidies were being funded by reduced payments to hospitals and providers for Medicare services. The feds have the money. Trump just will not write the checks to the insurance companies. So, the insurance companies are still required to provide subsidies. The way that they NOW SINCE TRUMP DID THIS BUT NOT BEFORE is by raising premiums on other insured. My premiums went up 30% overnight strictly because of this. The insurers had already calculated the increases when Trump did this.

SUBSIDIES WERE NOT PAID BY OTHER INSURED PRIOR TO TRUMP.

Sorry to shout. But, the misinformation abounds on this topic.

Now, the doing away with the mandate will raise (according to the CBO) insurance premium increases of 10%.

BTW, your wife's providers are still supporting Obamacare except Paul Ryan is pocketing the money through Medicare payment cuts. The Obamacare "support" is because of other parts of the law and not the subsidies....until Trumpcare.

If Hillary were President, the increases were about 10%...still too high. The numbers were published prior to the Trump action. I had received a premium note from my insurer who sent out two letters in a week. The first was that the 10% increase, the second was after the executive action. That letter indicated they were out of the market for 2018. My total premium actually went up by 60% because this insurer was very competitive.

Trump singlehandedly cost me $13000 this year. Well...part of that will be lost taxes. I wonder how many other small business owners are going to do this math in a mid-term election cycle.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno's statement that his wife was subsidizing Obamacare is a basic misunderstanding of how the law works and how poorly informed the general public is about the plan.

This allows the GOP to do what they want to do in the end which is to reduce the government's level of funding for health care by reducing taxes on the wealthiest of americans. Not corporate tax rates, not middle class tax rates; but those making over $250K per year and taxes on expensive medical devices.

What did increase PREMIUMS for healthcare costs are the required preventative health features in the plans and the inclusion of uninsurable folks within the insurance pool. So, it is fair to claim some of the increases for a healthy individual are because of Obamacare. But, that is what insurance really is isn't it?

Trump turned the funding upside down by unilaterally cutting the funding mechanism for the subsidies by 50% unilaterally. This has had a profound affect on the premiums of the middle age middle income folks who must buy insurance (at least Obamacare insurance) on the individual marketplace.

I should add that I qualify for a waiver of the tax penalties for not having insurance. However, the policies I can purchase for 40% of the Obamacare policies allow revocation of the insurance in six month policy periods. Sort of like pre-Ocare. If I get sick, I get cancelled after 6 months.

Contrary to the "fairytale" that I can go on Ocare at that time, it doesn't work that way. Only if I conveniently get cancelled and six in the right time period and even at that I face double plan deductibles.

The GOP is making a law that had significant issues into a law that will allow people to lose insurance and die. For nothing more than a tax break for a small number of citizens.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I will look a little further for a better understanding.

Some current info from http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/health-insurance-premiums.aspx

Quote:
States Where Health Exchange Premiums Are Increasing.

In the week before the 2018 open enrollment period begins, an independent health policy report about the state of premiums on the health exchanges created by the ACA/Obamacare. The new analysis from Avalere of filings from the 40 Healthcare.gov states," shows exchange premiums for the most widespread type of exchange plan (silver level) will be 34 percent higher, on average, compared to last year's 25 percent." These averages omit the 10 states that run their own exchanges and sometimes outpace the federally run versions.

Largest Increases: in Iowa (69 percent), Wyoming (65 percent) and Utah (64 percent). Iowa requested to waive certain aspects insurance to avoid large increases, but was forced to withdrew their request on Oct. 23 when it became clear that it would be rejected by the Trump administration.

Premium decreases: In Alaska, by 22 percent; in Arizona, by 6 percent; and in North Dakota, by 4 percent.

Some more info that supports coboardheads post from NPR in 2013:

Quote:
New Policy, New Marketplace

The subsidies do mean some low-income people will pay almost nothing for insurance, while higher-income people will pay the full market price.
Dentist Aaron McLemore of Louisville, Ky., makes more than $100,000 a year and doesn't qualify for any subsidy on the Obamacare exchange. The 31-year-old's current policy is being canceled. A new policy from the exchange will more than double his monthly premium and nearly double his yearly out-of-pocket maximum.

His higher costs aren't subsidizing lower-income policyholders, whose subsidy has already been paid by the government. But he is providing a subsidy in another way: The Affordable Care Act requires him to buy a policy with features he doesn't need.

"Seeing as I'm a single male with no kids or dependents, and I'm paying for pediatric dental care and maternity care, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me," McLemore says.

What Obamacare is doing is moving McLemore out of the individual market — where people are sorted by age and health history and scope of coverage — to a market more like the traditional, employer-based group policy, in which young and old workers get the same coverage and pay the same premium.

It's not exactly the same. The Affordable Care Act allows insurers to charge older people up to three times more than younger people for policies.
Still, Gruber, the MIT economist, says the model reflects the basic idea of insurance. "The notion of insurance is we're protected against risk," he says. "What that means is that [during] a period of time when we're healthy, we pay more in premiums than we collect in benefits. In those periods of time we're sick — and we all go through them — we collect more in benefits than we pay in premiums."

Young, healthy people subsidize older people, who are more likely to be sick. Of course, most of those younger folks will eventually become old folks and experience the same benefit.
real-human

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

once again lying about the media as he claims he is the victim, yet the video shows he is just a normal right-wing serial compulsive no honor or values liar.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/11/19/1717074/-Police-report-confirms-Rep-Greg-Gianforte-lied-to-officers-about-his-assault-on-Guardian-reporter

Police report confirms Rep. Greg Gianforte lied to officers about his assault on Guardian reporter

Quote:
The evening before the Montana special election to determine who would be the state’s next member of Congress, Republican candidate Greg Gianforte, apparently fed up with unflattering press coverage and/or reporters asking questions about Republican healthcare plans, violently assaulted Guardian reporter Ben Jacobs, throwing him to the ground and punching him.

The now-released police records of the assault show that Gianforte lied to police about his actions during questioning.

Sergeant Scott Secor of the Gallatin County sheriff’s office wrote in his report that he had interviewed Gianforte inside a parked vehicle outside the campaign headquarters where the assault took place. According to Secor’s account of the interview, Gianforte complained that Jacobs had “stuck a microphone in my face” and was asking “obnoxious questions”. Later in the interview, Gianforte described Jacobs’ behavior as “interrogating in a very intensive way”.

Secor described the interview: “He then went on to explain ‘I probably shouldn’t do it but I reached out for his phone … he grabbed my wrist, he spun, and we ended up on the floor … so he pulled me down on top of him’ … Gianforte said the ‘liberal media … is trying to make a story.’”
Both an audio recording of the incident and the eyewitness statements by other reporters would later disprove that story: It was Gianforte who initiated contact, by grabbing Jacobs and slamming him to the ground. Gianforte lied to the officer conducting the initial investigation.

While the now-congressman did apologize, evidently as part of a civil-suit settlement, the personally wealthy Gianforte’s post-assault behavior has not fully been the actions of a man who believes himself subject to the same laws as the little people; even after pleading guilty to the assault, Gianforte fought to prevent being fingerprinted and photographed as instructed by the court. He also spent no time in jail, but instead was ordered to complete community service and anger management. But it is unclear whether Gianforte will pay any price whatsoever for making false statements to the officer dispatched to investigate the assault.

Gianforte currently sits as a member of Congress, where he was welcomed by a party whose members have abandoned usual past pretenses of ethics and morals and who, apparently, will seat anyone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 224, 225, 226 ... 250, 251, 252  Next
Page 225 of 252

Jump to: