myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why the GOP IS the root of all evil...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181 ... 250, 251, 252  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Please do give us some of those many examples of big business having the "right' to run roughshod over everyone and everything.

Dozens of big corporations and agencies including VISA, Pontiac Motors, Winnebago, Nissan, Ford, Shell Oil, PayPal, Montgomery Ward, Sears, the U.S. Air Force (vs John Gowan) in federal court, State Farm, and about 20 more, ranging from a neighbor and his lawyer to many other large corporations, have tried to "run roughshod over" me. Not one succeeded, thanks to my records, diligence, and rubbing them and their lawyers' noses in the law without the help of any lawyers on my side. In case no one has noticed, bending over and grabbing my ankles is not my cup of tea.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act, the NHTSA, federal and state codes, state insurance commissioners, facts, records, legislation, the internet, and/or logic all did their job in defeating these bullies and bluffers at no expense to me but my time. Bigger issues involve bigger stakes, more laws, and bigger legal costs, but usually achieve the same thing. There are exceptions where the good guys lose, of course, but they're due much more to poor lawyers, stupid juries, corruption, etc. than to any "right" the bad guys have to screw us.

Last edited by isobars on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Energy companies own so many pols that they have purchased the right do almost anything they want.
When you buy anything you will be paying them.
They raise the price endlessly, resulting in the highest profits in the history of the corporate world.
Those who live in a tiny bubble think that is a GOOD thing.
In the big world these profits drain money from every part of the worlds economy, hurting esp. poor children and the vulnerable in this world.

Many sick people could have survived if they could have afforded gas to get help.
Many hungry people could have eaten if they could buy fuel for the irrigation or fertilizer.
The price of energy is in the hands of a few and they have chosen record breaking profits.
You can defend their actions as right, but cannot deny that these corps ride roughshod over the world.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Please do give us some of those many examples of big business having the "right' to run roughshod over everyone and everything. In order to be relevant, please restrict your examples to this century."

Just curious, what do you think about what Monsanto has been doing to genetically modify our food and control the sale of seed?
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
slinky wrote:
I don't think big business should have the "right" to run roughshod over everyone and everything...........I could list many more examples, but I think you get the picture.

Please do give us some of those many examples of big business having the "right' to run roughshod over everyone and everything. In order to be relevant, please restrict your examples to this century.

LOL! nothing has changed much!

Here's something recent: How about fighting unfunded wars and wrecking economies for profit! Banks don't need regulation! Or do they? You tell me.

Remember the "Great Recession? Who caused it? American Banks acting with willful criminal intent selling bogus " class A" securities to other banks world wide. Heads should have rolled, But they did not. Why? Could it be there still are individuals who truly are untouchable? Seem to me there are.

You can't be so naive as to believe the banks were innocent.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have missed the billions of dollars in fines those banks paid for those actions. "Fighting unfunded wars"!!?? That's the fault of corporations? Perhaps Boggsy can opine on your inference that banks are not regulated.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
"Please do give us some of those many examples of big business having the "right' to run roughshod over everyone and everything. In order to be relevant, please restrict your examples to this century."

Just curious, what do you think about what Monsanto has been doing to genetically modify our food and control the sale of seed?

Monsanto's GMO food is toxic and has been shown to cause cancer in rats. The French study, which was retracted, after Monsanto threatened to sue, has since been re instated because it was an entirely valid study. 6000 sheep died after grazing on BT Cotton in India. Rounup ready corn makes it's own pesticide. The American people are being used a guinea pigs without them being aware of what they have been eating. Cancer is running rampant.

Being able to patent a life form seems to me to be absolute total insanity. How do you recall a life form once it's been set loose? The havoc this stuff could do is mind boggling. Terminator crops, which render annual grasses such as wheat sterile, have been developed.

So congress has responded by...... passing the Monsanto protection act. Even more insane.

What has happened to America?
mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever the apologist for corporate might and political influence mrgybe whines:

Quote:
You may have missed the billions of dollars in fines those banks paid for those actions.

Pennies on the dollar. Meanwhile, they spent a pantload fighting any re-regulation. Assisted by the GOP. But under mrgybe's reasoning, with no criminal cases--in part due to how the deregulation bill was written by Texas Republican Phil Gramm, we are supposed to absolve them. Not without a hail mary or two.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe, why does Monsanto and other oil related chemical companies involved in the genetic modification of food and the control of seed distribution and sale fight hugely against openness and transparency in proposed regulations to identify GMO products when they are used in the manufacture of our foods?

You've opened the door, but you seem to want to hide from the light.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make it a rule not to comment on topics that I know nothing about. You may wish to consider adopting that same rule. Boggsy........so quick to comment on my posts.........so slow to respond to his industry being panned by liberals.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a rule. Didn't stop you from parroting junk science nonsense about DDT. Assumed you owned Monsanto stock, or just enjoyed their consumption of petroleum products.

Here is the abstract from what Slinky posted. It might do you good to actually educate yourself on environmental issues before you attack liberals.

Quote:
We present for the first time a comparative analysis of blood and organ system data from trials with rats fed three main commercialized genetically modified (GM) maize (NK 603, MON 810, MON 863), which are present in food and feed in the world. NK 603 has been modified to be tolerant to the broad spectrum herbicide Roundup and thus contains residues of this formulation. MON 810 and MON 863 are engineered to synthesize two different Bt toxins used as insecticides. Approximately 60 different biochemical parameters were classified per organ and measured in serum and urine after 5 and 14 weeks of feeding. GM maize-fed rats were compared first to their respective isogenic or parental non-GM equivalent control groups. This was followed by comparison to six reference groups, which had consumed various other non-GM maize varieties. We applied nonparametric methods, including multiple pairwise comparisons with a False Discovery Rate approach. Principal Component Analysis allowed the investigation of scattering of different factors (sex, weeks of feeding, diet, dose and group). Our analysis clearly reveals for the 3 GMOs new side effects linked with GM maize consumption, which were sex- and often dose-dependent. Effects were mostly associated with the kidney and liver, the dietary detoxifying organs, although different between the 3 GMOs. Other effects were also noticed in the heart, adrenal glands, spleen and haematopoietic system. We conclude that these data highlight signs of hepatorenal toxicity, possibly due to the new pesticides specific to each GM corn. In addition, unintended direct or indirect metabolic consequences of the genetic modification cannot be excluded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181 ... 250, 251, 252  Next
Page 180 of 252

Jump to: