myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why the GOP IS the root of all evil...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 250, 251, 252  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason is the imaginary welfare recipient on Talk Radio.
To the ignorant portion of the Right, he is typical.
Apparently he votes, unlike real welfare people, because Obama purchased millions of votes from him and his imaginary friends.
And is still buying votes for his next elections.
These guys get confused.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frederick23 wrote:
Trying to picture what an uneducated nail pounding sheep looks like? Photos anyone? Windoggie?

Apparently it looks like me. I was being facetious, that was how I was described by someone here. I'm an electrician by trade and before that I framed houses for almost four years, and now I'm a general contractor.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
Jason is the imaginary welfare recipient on Talk Radio.
To the ignorant portion of the Right, he is typical.
Apparently he votes, unlike real welfare people, because Obama purchased millions of votes from him and his imaginary friends.
And is still buying votes for his next elections.
These guys get confused.

KC,
From what I gathered from the information you've shared (or I gathered while stalking you) that you live the lifestyle that resembles that of Jason the lobster eating surfer dude. I'm secretly envious.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live vicariously through the lobster eating dude, the RV traveling dudes, anyone who is retired or anyone who can windsurf more than 12 sessions a year.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RR. I got lucky in life because my conservative family made me work since I was twelve. Money meant freedom to me so I saved it.
I saw a book published yearly at the library called Americas millionaires or something. When I was about twenty that book suddenly went double.
Almost all the new millionaires were in real estate.
I bought some too. Folks said it was worthless.
Time passed.
They were mistaken.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few questions:

1. What is a living wage, or what should it be?

Take a look and see what you think: http://livingwage.mit.edu/

More or less - $10 per hour for a single adult.

2. Should EVERY new employee, regardless of education, skills or training get a "living wage" their first day on the job? This appears to be the current thinking by the liberals.

3. IF a higher minimum wage generates higher costs, inflation, and maybe fewer jobs, will the "living wage" no longer be a living wage? I don't know if this is a "real" issue, but it's worth considering.

4. Would businesses with a high number of minimum wage workers that currently have benefits, be cut back to 30 hrs to save on benefit costs to balance the increase in wages?

Minimum wage used to be a starting wage for part time, young, uneducated, and first job workers. Since there are so few jobs today, millions and millions have lost their "living wage" jobs and are now being forced to take minimum wage jobs.

5. Is this temporary assuming at some point jobs will be become available again for the unemployed masses?

6. Should minimum wage be a living wage?
Quote:
After winning the historical 1936 election by a landslide, President Roosevelt signed the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) into law in early 1938. The FLSA introduced sweeping regulations to protect American workers from being exploited, and created a mandatory federal minimum wage of 25 cents an hour in order to maintain a "minimum standard of living necessary for health, efficiency and general well-being, without substantially curtailing employment".

I guess in 1936, minimum wage was suppose to be a living wage, but a living wage in those days included nothing like we have today. Looking at its historical increases, I don't think it has ever been a real "living wage" on the level that most would consider appropriate by today's standards. http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/chart.htm

Just trying to get the whole picture.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a small business and do not fire anyone just because the pay goes up for some.
When a CEO raises his pay from a million to two million does he balance by firing workers? That would reduce profits.
I hire when I have demand. I hire the number of qualified people it takes to meet that demand. If part time works I hire part time.
These decisions are not based on the min.wage.

If raising the min wage puts money in the hands of consumers, businesses like mine will hire to meet increased demand.
Corps have massive funding sitting idle waiting for consumer demand to rise.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker said:
Quote:
I run a small business and do not fire anyone just because the pay goes up for some.
When a CEO raises his pay from a million to two million does he balance by firing workers? That would reduce profits.
I hire when I have demand. I hire the number of qualified people it takes to meet that demand. If part time works I hire part time.
These decisions are not based on the min.wage.

Fair enough, but in your examples, you are making the decisions, not the government. If your overhead went up measurably because of a mandated increase in pay for your employees, how would you compensate? Eat the loss, increase product or service cost, postpone pay increases, cut staff, cut benefits, reduce hours, etc.???

Last edited by techno900 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about raising the pricing for your products? When it comes down to the prices for a hamburger and fries, that would be 5-10 cents tops. Since all fast food restaurants would face the same dilemma, the competition would remain balanced.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left that out and added it a second ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 250, 251, 252  Next
Page 171 of 252

Jump to: