myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
old style board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StillSailin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: old style board Reply with quote

Just got back from South Padre Island. 80 degrees and good wind. I live in the Portland area and usually sail Stevenson. I've been sailing some 20 plus years and for a good number of those years it's been on a Mistral flow (104 and 85 L--the blue vintage).
A buddy in South Padre gave me an 85 L Hip Hop to try. Not sure who makes it. But it just ripped. My brother from Denver was there and bought a board at a swap meet there with the same exact graphics, but 107 L. Best high wind sailing I've ever experienced. So much control! AND FAST!!
I didn't pay to much attention to the shape or brand, but now I'd like to find out more about it. It was old and cheap and gave me the ride of my life. Anybody know about this board or ones similar in shape and performance?
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the Hip Hop an old Bic? Pics Please...
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup ... a Bic.
But, Stillsailin ... you live an hour from the Old Cheap B&J Board capitol of the universe. Hit some swap meets next summer.

Mike \m/
StillSailin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I can hit the swap meets. I'm wondering what it was that gave these boards the control and speed. They were long and skinny and I'm guessing sharp rails. Could you confirm these are the right qualities to look for. Are there some other similar boards or brands you know of? Thanks for any suggestions. I could browse the consignment shops if I knew what to look for. I can't provide any pics cause the boards were just something I tried out when I was in South Padre
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Long and skinny", compared to today's so-called "stubbies" provides higher speed, smoother ride, sharper extreme turns at high speed in chop, and greater control when way powered in rough water. "Sharp rails" ... no, not for average recreational sailing in any chop or swell.

HOWEVER ...

I'm guessing from your post (primarily your proclivity for Stevenson) that you might gain more overall performance from the wider, more modern boards suited to Gorge use, such as the freestyle waves (FSW) or global waves offered by most brands. The difference is just an inch in width and several inches in length, and the slightly wider boards offer advantages such as earlier planing for such applications as freestyle, learning to jibe, surfing waves and swell while luffed, planing through the giant wind holes so common in the Gorge … any WSing while moderately powered and/or on smooth water, etc. IMO ... and that of many sailors and Boards Magazine's extensive analysis I’ve cited* in the other current/recent board selection threads -- the slightly older (through roughly 2006 plus some current models) narrower boards' advantage isn’t obvious until they are really being pushed in the regime described in my opening sentence. There, the slightly narrower pre-2008 wave boards shine like diamonds. You will probably benefit more from the narrower boards (called “traditionals” in the Boards article) when you start sailing east of Stevenson regularly, where demands on a rider’s skill increase dramatically. Stevenson’s foremost demand in east winds is on early planing, and even in west winds it’s not generally as rough as the corridor.

Your blue Flows are narrow enough, but are almost flat from mast track to tail … not especially suited to lots of power/speed/control in rough water.

* You REALLY need to study these articles:
http://tinyurl.com/2cr2n3d
and
http://tinyurl.com/24vxm3k .
They will help you narrow your choices regardless of the model years you may prefer.

Mike \m/
StillSailin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars, thanks!!
I've been googling for an hour looking for info on rocker, rail design, bottom shape etc trying to understand a little better what's going on. Just checked back on the forum and the links you put down look great. I will study and enjoy. On with the quest. Thanks again
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSailin wrote:
I've been googling for an hour looking for info on rocker, rail design, bottom shape etc trying to understand a little better what's going on.

Been there, done that; save your eyeballs. I've studied shapes for decades via magazines, websites, pro sailor tutelage, on-the-water testing, and straightedges, and now just buy boards by their performance reputation and/or borrowing rides from buds with boards of interest. Some boards that measure the same sail very differently, and vice versa.

IMO, by far the best sources (besides personal demos) of performance info is the magazine tests, if one reads them carefully. They are brief and imperfect, sometimes even wrong, but just because some dood on the internet sez his stick is rad doesn't mean it will even THINK about doing what the next buyer wants from a board. News flash: different sailors have different performance goals. The online Euro mags like Boards Online and Boardseeker are especially thorough.

Mike \m/
gwandsh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Old boards that rip Reply with quote

I am sure the list is long, but for boards of the same era as a hip hop (or close) that were fast and fun (and still around at swaps):

Bic Adagio
F2 258 Axxis
Mistral Edge

Of the 3, I probably liked the Edge the best. I recall nailing my first *fast* gybe on that board, and the wonderful tingle it gave me sailing out of it with lots of speed. Spent the next several years trying to recreate it Wink
StillSailin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwandsh, Thanks for the info. Isobars was right about saving my eyeballs. There's a ton of info about the rocker and the rails and wetted surface etc. The names you listed will give me something to keep an eye out for. The board I got the ride on that was so great was a 107 L Bic and I believe a vivace or veloce. I've been reading threads about old boards and it looks like some people love em. Thanks
westender

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get one of those boards at the Swap for $100 let us know if it works as well at Bob's Beach as it did in S Padre. Your Mistrals might have been good there too???? Did you sail your gear in S Padre??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: