myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing in Mui Ne,Vietnam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
odie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing in Mui Ne,Vietnam Reply with quote

I'm going Jan to March for windsurfing and touring around the country and wanted any advice from that have been there.I've read that that's the windiest time to go and also very warm.The flight from Vancouver to Saigon cost me $900 including tax so the price was very inexpensive.Thanks Paul
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience with Mui Ne or with windsurfing in Vietnam, but I do have advice on Saigon.

Take earplugs if you want to sleep. Motorbikes and cars start honking around 5:20AM, and don't stop until around midnight. Trucks generally cannot be operated in Saigon during daytime, so demolition, noisy debris-loading, and heavy construction tend to take place at night.

Second piece of advice: avoid the "cyclo" pedicabs. Many of the guys that operate these things are very sketchy, and can engage in fairly sinister price renegotiation tactics at the end of the trip. Unless you are well-prepared to be more menacing than they decide to be, it's best to steer clear. Especially of a guy named Sahng who wears a baseball cap with "Australia" and a kangaroo on it.

For VND cash, use a debit/ATM card from your home bank, and locate a Vietcombank ATM machine. They give a reasonable exchange rate, so the only screw-job will be from your own bank's fees.

Prices for most things were quite reasonable in 2007 when I was there ($31/day longer-term stay for an OK but noisy hotel room very close to the Ben Thanh market), but I understand that there has since been significant inflation in prices, especially for consumer staples.

The correct answer to "hey mister you want mahhhsaaaaj?" is to pretend that you are deaf.
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

One option is Jibe's Beach Club! Renting Starboard boards and Severne Sails. These guys have been doing their thing at Mui Ne for 10+ years now:

http://www.windsurf-vietnam.com/

For live wind info and forecasts for Mui Ne & vicinity, iWindsurf's alternative website, WindAlert, has the best available info (not perfect, of course!):

http://windalert.com/en-us/Favorites/ViewFavorites.aspx?pid=117374
odie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice.I'll probably just show up and see if they can give any kind of deal on rentals but it's the high season so who knows.I was in Thailand and Cambodia last year so looking forward to some sailing since it wasn't really available in either country unless you wanted to get out on big gear around Pattaya or south of there.
Have you been there yourself and how was the sailing
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been there. Want to go someday.

Give us an update here......after your trip!
Very Happy
never_enough_wind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Vietnam Reply with quote

Hey Odie,

I have been going to VN every other month for the past 6 years and sailed at Mui Ne a few times too. Here are a few pointers:

Best deal with money is to bring good condition $100 USD notes. You will get the best exchange rate at Gold Shops which are everywhere in Dist 1. I use one on Le Loi about 1/2 way between Ben Thanh market and the Opera house, latest rate is 20K VND = 1 USD so your $100 note will get you 2 million VND.

Check out Trip Advisor for hotels, the reviews in VN are quite accurate. Stay in the "Backpack Dist" for cheaper hotels, on Thi Sach for nicer 3 star hotels at about $80/nite.

To get to Mui Ne get a bus from the Backpack district (Pham Ngo Lau St & De Tham) It will cost you about 200K VND ($10) and the Tourist buses are decent. The trip is 4-5 hours as the traffic is very bad.

Rent a motorbike in Mui Ne for 100K VND/day. By far the best way to get around. I do not recomend a first timer rent a motorbike in HCMC as it can be rather intimidating (you will know what I mean when you see the traffic).

Jibes is the only place to rent gear. Last time I was there the stuff was rather tired, but it is your only choice. The winds are storm winds, so plan your time in Mui Ne to hit the storms. Generally it is better for kiting, but not any other options so take what you can get.

Check out Hoa Vien for great beer in HCMC and another one in Mui Ne.

Enjoy, VN is a great place.

To find your way around in HCMC http://www.diadiem.com/vn/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: