myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windalert
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djcovarrubias2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: windalert Reply with quote

Would appreciate some advice configuring the windalert app for the android. I've been able to create a page with the more common sites, like Swell city, Doug's, Maryhill, etc., but I haven't been able to find the John Day Dam station to add to my favorites. I can still get the info by using the browser to go to my wireless web access page, but I'd be nice to have it in the more graphical interface. Any suggestions?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer your question, but maybe you can answer my related one: What good is John Day data? The location and/or its sensor seem to have a mind of their own, unrelated to the real world. What am I missing?

Mike \m/
cj2361

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diego, don't have the answer to your question either but the previous post seemed unnecessary. Offered no useful info and only questioned why anyone would want the data you are after. Who cares why you want the data. If you want it you want it. Maybe someone with helpful input has some time to get the answer. The previous post mostly reflects the downturn in volume of posts in the fall combined with an ongoing need to be heard....
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply want to know how I can use John Day data, and Diego is the first virtual or flesh and blood person I've ever seen show any interest in it. Again, and literally ... what am I missing? That dang sensor can blow 30 for hours with virtually no correlation with any wind on the water that I can determine. I genuinely want to know how I can use that data to help find some useful wind real time or later that day, and I'm hoping Diego can help me. Others may benefit from Diego's explanation, and your attempt to block that request due to some personal problem is reprehensible.

I can't explain why Diego can't set up John Day data; it's on the same access list with the sites he can set up. At least I'm trying to add to our collective body of knowledge, if Diego can and chooses to do so. All you're contributing is more strife.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the above post should have it's own topic, but I think it's actual
question was "how do you interpret, the John Day wind meter?". Not
trying to put words in Mike's mouth. I confess, I would also find that
useful.

With regard to the post topic, you can configure your MYIW page to
to reflect the John Day Dam just by adding it as a Wind Observation.
That's how I do it, and then I tap "John Day" on that to bring up
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=216&siteID=1489

-Craig

cj2361 wrote:
Diego, don't have the answer to your question either but the previous post seemed unnecessary. Offered no useful info and only questioned why anyone would want the data you are after. Who cares why you want the data. If you want it you want it. Maybe someone with helpful input has some time to get the answer. The previous post mostly reflects the downturn in volume of posts in the fall combined with an ongoing need to be heard....
djcovarrubias2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig:

I think I didn't explain my problem very clearly before. I already have John Day in my iW. I also have it in the wap page I get in my phone. I'm trying to get it inside an application for the android phone called windalert which displays the info more graphically, like similar apps for the iPhone. Same thing with the Roosevelt sensor. The app is relatively new, I'm just starting to play with it. You can find both sites in the web version of the app, but not in the phone version. I was hoping someone more technologically savvy had found a workaround.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21395&sid=97231b5dd8029d2712c99d06bf3ee855

As to why I would want the data, I have no good answer really. I don't sail east of Doug's very often, or at Manzanita for that matter, but love having all that data in front of me to keep me motivated during the long drive when I do. I've only sailed Rufus once, so I hadn't noticed the sensor shortcomings. It seemed accurate at the time, and there was no wind anywhere else in the river, so I was glad to have the information.

DC

cgoudie1 wrote:
Maybe the above post should have it's own topic, but I think it's actual
question was "how do you interpret, the John Day wind meter?". Not
trying to put words in Mike's mouth. I confess, I would also find that
useful.

With regard to the post topic, you can configure your MYIW page to
to reflect the John Day Dam just by adding it as a Wind Observation.
That's how I do it, and then I tap "John Day" on that to bring up
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=216&siteID=1489

-Craig

cj2361 wrote:
WMP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea

Last edited by WMP on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll have to try the Windalert app to see the difference, but John Day data looks like any other site's data on WAP, which includes more data than I get on iW via my home desktop. On WAP I get the full day's data plot for any iW site on the planet plus the digital tabular data table for the last three hours. For sites in my MyWind list, all that is one click and one second away from my home page.

I just now reached over and awoke my Droid from hibernation, tapped the
RESET button to display my current MyWind list (several sites' wind direction and speed plus links to forecasts, gradients, radar, and whatever else I choose to put there), and tapped Maryhill to see the plot and tabular data for Maryhill/The Wall/Rufus. Each step is much quicker via Droid than via iMac @ 15 megs. If it's on MyWind, it and more is on WAP even sooner. I dumped AT&T, its air card, and my laptop the day after I got my Droid. I can scan half a dozen forecast and data sites from NOAA to Temira as fast as I can touch and read with one hand while I rig or eat (NOT drive!) with the other.

I was sitting at a tire shop getting my tires rotated. The tech asks if I want my tires siped. It took me 60 seconds to reach into my pocket, Google "siping", verify it as a sales gimmick, and give him my informed "no, thanks" response. These dang things are neat, and I haven't even gotten around to any apps yet.
robgray

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord...
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people still don't understand how much more versatile smartphones are than even last year's smartphones, let alone 2008's dumbphones. If you're beyond all that, lucky you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: