myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Growing Windsurfing with Sailable, Surfable SUPs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a small WS store and am not well connected enough to be getting the best deals in China, though I have inquired about having one of my shapes put in production in the past.
I get offers to buy wholesale $100 to $250 FOB china SUPS at least two+ a week seemingly from different manufacturers. Between them I see more than two hundred models.
This suggests that SUPs may become much more affordable if they catch on with the general public on lakes. Many more consumers in the US near lakes than the sea.
I am told by two shapers that a cheap paddling SUP is easier to build than any sailing type board. The large size gives more strength and the loads imposed by the rig are not there. Consumer surfboards are much cheaper than windsurf boards in the same size because the construction has less need of carbon and complex composite layups.
I think sailing SUPs are going to stay expensive while paddlers seem likely to drop in price.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I hate to say it, I think keycocker's predictions are correct, for the exact reasons he states. I think the high-end SUPS will stay costly - but there is going to be a lot more very cheap SUP's available soon.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
RocketRed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thread! I am a new windsurfer and have really wanted one of these crossover boards for a long time. Ever since I heard the idea of them.

My biggest issue is cost, followed by my next issue being TOW, in that I rarely get to schedule my fun time-on-water around conditions, but around my familial and work obligations.

So I might have a kitchen pass for a Saturday, and that is the day I am going to the beach, regardless. If I get there and the wind is down, and the waves are too small to surf, I got to do something, and this type of rig is the answer. Hopefully by this spring I will be sporting one of these, and then the key is to get one of my buds to buy one.

spookini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a beginning windsurfer w/ a beginner board -- Starboard Rio. This thing is big and stable -- 9'x32". I was curious to see if it's SUPpable, so tried first w/ a canoe paddle. Worked decent so I then bought a used SUP paddle.

I have to say, no complaints. It gets the job done. It's not a speed demon, but never having used a real SUP, I have nothing to compare to. And w/ the daggerboard down and my weight a bit forward, it tracks very well. It also paddles fine in the kneeling or sitting position (my SUP paddle is collapsible). Actually w/ the daggerboard down and in the kneeling position, it hauls a bit of ass...

I am stoked to have the added versatility. I hope to buy a real SUP at some point, but this will give me two boards so I can SUP w/ the wife (it's not TOW, it's just quality time w/ the spouse Wink )

Looking at Starboard's 2011 lineup, it seems they have a HUGE range of SUPS, but only one model w/ a mast track. Why wouldn't a mast-track be included on all their models? Rather than build crossover customers, it seems they are cannibalizing from the wsurf side to build the SUP side of their business. Bad strategy guys!
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to stick a track on a board and found that making that work requires the right design of board or it sails like a pig.That would clearly not be the best way to go.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://star-board-sup.com/2010/products/boards/overview.php

If you're using that page as reference, many of those boards do have mast tracks - or a mast base plug (the track is glassed in, and you don't have an option to move it around. But there are usually two choices in that case.) You just can't see them in the graphics.

Starboard is VERY keen on growing windsurfing through SUP, and I expect the majority of their boards will retain a mast track. Some race-specific or surf specific Starboard SUPS may not have a mast track.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed a Starboard SUPer (it has a flip-down centerboard) one day when the shop had all of their regular beginner boards rented out. I liked it. It had a sort of goofy foot massaging vibrational mode when the water got choppier.

I seriously considered buying a used one as a first board, but cartop transport ended up being decisive toward something shorter.

The length was nice, though, during part of the day when the wind was quite light. The board seemed faster in those conditions than a typical wide beginner board.

I have never tried paddling, but the thought of being able to be on the water on zero-wind bay days or quiet lakes, is attractive enough that I'll keep considering one of these boards.

As a first board for casual learning, one of these might not be quite as easy as a wider beginner board. Despite that, it seems like an especially good choice for a family who live near a body of water and not near a site with windsurf instruction and rental equipment, and would enjoy the possibility of several activities from one piece of gear.
PeterSS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife can windsurf a little on some huge old mistral longboard we have, but really enjoys windsurfing when we go to the caribbean on bigger wider boards. She also enjoys standup, so without a doubt we are buying one with a mast track this spring. My only question is, should I get one with a 'center fin' or a dagger board?, or just hope she wont need it for directional stability. She is not planning, nvr put on a harness, no straps, but understands the wind, and leaning the mast forward and backward for direction. Center fin or Not? Might as well right?
obxaddict

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with women or anyone is it is more fun windsurfing and SUPing without the center fin being in the way most of the time. With a little experience you can use the rails of the board for upwind so the center fin is redundant.

However if a center fin is a requirement you can get something that has the option that mounts with a screw so it can easily be added or taken away. Comfort rules when it comes to the casual user.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: