myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Web cams at Arlington?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Web cams at Arlington? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm looking at arlington blowing about 28 mph here while I'm sttitng in HR gloom. Are there any good windcams out there that show the water? If it's sunny, I might be teased into making the drive Smile
jimoakes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may go too.

These camera's show a little "brightness" at John Day and Arlington.
http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/CamerasEntry.asp

The satellite image looks cloudy at Arlington.
WMP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, no river cam out there. Even if there was..... by the time you got out there and rigged, those conditions would most likely have changed quite rapidly in this type pattern.

Here's some tools that might help make your day out east....

- Dart board with a very small bullseye

- Good wind karma

- ALWAYS bring a mountain bike as backup (Deschutes River has got a trail)

Hope this helps.... maybe I'll see ya out there.
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay that isn't promising Sad Maybe when this breaks (Wednesday)? We might get some wind and make the journey worth while Smile
jimoakes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Wall ( boat ramp). Sailed from 1 to 4 on a 4.2.

5 other sailors were there,one guy on a 3.7. Swell was not classic but worth the drive.

No sailors out at Maryhill or the first 2 Wall spots.

It wasn't raining and even partly sunny about half the time. Looks like Tuesday might be good at the Wall as well.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, guys ... buy a freaking wetsuit. The only weather that counts is the weather next to your skin. Sun, rain, snow, sleet, hail ... even all within the space of an hour -- don't matter if your skin is warm (and, of course, you're not impaired by all the crap you're wearing, like gloves and booties). Besides, one of our gang is still comfortable in a shorty. The season is drawing down to normal people (not to mention that the Corps will be dropping the river levels dramatically soon to overhaul the locks), so get it while it's there. Besides, the satellite photos and detailed forecasts will give you not only the cloud cover right now but what's coming from 15 minutes to 48 hours from now.

That said, today sucked between the short 3.2 sessions with big swell. The lulls were 4.5-6.0 and lasted 20-45 minutes, so it was a timing game, especially considering the many hundreds of yards of slog to and from the windline and swell. But which is better ... playing in 6-foot-deep glassy troughs 50 yards wide or sitting in the rain in HR? And come to think of it, we had clear blue skies from about 3 PM on ... not that any of us noticed.
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not like I'm sitting around complaining of the weather. I have lots of projects to do in and around HR. BUT if the weather is reasonable and the drive not to far, I wouldn't mind some more water time Smile
Bond1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I decided to be more conservative with my consumption of fossil fuels, and more careful with my time. This meant that I don't drive as often. The result is that I miss it sometimes. Another result is that I don't waste time and fuel on an unsatisfying adventure. I don't want to miss a single good session, but this need had my life out of balance for years. Now I have more time for other things I enjoy.

We each travel our own path....
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bond1 wrote:
The result is that I miss it sometimes. Another result is that I don't waste time and fuel on an unsatisfying adventure. I don't want to miss a single good session, but this need had my life out of balance for years. Now I have more time for other things I enjoy.

The problem is knowing ahead of time whether driving will snare a good session or an unsatisfying adventure. The solution is in our heads. One of my buds simply MAKES every trip a productive and fun session. His 100% successful solution? Rig and sail and enjoy, regardless of conditions. I envy his attitude, but he's welcome to it, too. Mother Nature's got to meet me halfway, and Port Kelley is very unforgiving. It's easily the most challenging venue of the 70+ places I've sailed on the Columbia.
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimoak wrote:
I went to the Wall ( boat ramp). Sailed from 1 to 4 on a 4.2.

5 other sailors were there,one guy on a 3.7. Swell was not classic but worth the drive.

yes indeed, oak, saw you folks out there.... glad you rolled the dice and scored. You've clearly got the west wind karma like I've got the east wind karma..... perhaps we could combine forces?

I went to Rufus where wind wasn't filled in as well. Strenge pattern it was.... no wind until Biggs Bridge, but Maryhill wasn't filled in either. It was only happening right there at the Wall boat ramp.

At least I scored a sunny ride on the mtn. bike... that made the trip worthwhile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: