myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Your Private Fire Department
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead,

I have to ask whether you have followed what isobars does here on the iWindsurf forums. Yet, I think that you're just beginning to realize how he plays out the character he is. The virtual volume he puts out is "off the map".

To your credit, I think that you're an interesting addition to the dialog, and I appreciate your perspective. But, sooner or later you'll see how you fit into isobars' routine, because he's always trying to mix it up with others, or simply bragging endlessly about himself and his exploits.

One can always act like some of us don't exist, like isobars does, but still whine incessantly about them.

Others, like maybe yourself, could elect to ignore to participate, at least on the "Other" forum here. But, you must remember that isobars is out and about, everywhere. So, then you're stuck with pretending that he's not around by ignoring him in the discussion.

The last choice is mixing it up with isobars, and that sometimes means screwing with him, because he always earns it. He gets more grief from a broad spectrum of others here than anyone, and nobody is even close to being the rash and abrasive irritant that he can often be. You'll see.

Ultimately, the choice is yours.
feuser

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

<snip the more recent stuf>

>> > God damn, Brian. I really think you should just STFU.

Thats still the reverse order of posts - what's missing is the part of the thread that lead up to Paul's STFU which was Brian's unveiled insult hurled at liberal democrats.
Quote:

You're a liberal democrat and by definition that means you are warped.

The thread did turn more civilized and Paul and Brian, who wasn't the least bit intimidated as Iso suggested, ended up on a good note.

A touching detail that might be lost to those mining the past for political ammo only: Brian posted his well wishes in response to Paul's last thread on rec.windsurfing, who unfortunately perished from a sudden illness.

Sad to see his memory tarnished.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/

Last edited by feuser on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
feuser

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
So, why bother and respond to these posts?

I am starting to question whether anyone wants to continue with a serious discussion.

Its all funny, till someone gets hurt!

Yes, I think some of it is going too far, and I am happy to see some posters retracting their posts.

Iso might be living in a bubble, but there's nothing to be gained by insulting him; and I do think that he, by his own standards, is striving to be nothing but a good man.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
mac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florian, you are too kind. Isobars is a Karl Rove wanna be, spew venom, try to generate fear of the other. When I followed up one of his references and found out he had misrepresented it he called me a liar--and has refused to actually debate any subject since. Within the last week he has accused me of embezzling funds from a mythical non-profit. He is scum, and seriously crazy.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Florian, but I can't buy your view of isobars as a good well meaning person. However, I must emphasize that's no offense against you. isobars has made his bed here and he has to live in it. Of course, he could show us a more respectable side of his character, but I seriously doubt that he can do that.
jp5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No apologies, no retractions. The guy deserves what he gets. Hell I used to support him until he showed utter disregard and disrespect for my own political perspective.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
why bother and respond to these posts?

I am starting to question whether anyone wants to continue with a serious discussion.

As I've said before, my reasons include:
• I've loved researching, condensing, and writing since second grade.
• I learn from all three of those steps.
• Lurkers -- hell, maybe even some participants -- may learn from the debate. (I'd like to say I do, but because most of those on the other side of the fence think "You're a warmongering, lying, baby-eating mofo who claims Obama is a Muslim child molester" qualifies as debate, there's not a lot to be learned from the left about the topical issues from this particular group.)
• Every once in a while a rational centrist or hard leftie shows up and provides an opportunity to resume adult discussion we can actually benefit from.

You catch on quick(ly). It took me a few years to realize that their behavior is systemic, not isolated among a small handful of individuals. I'm not saying it's ubiquitous, but it is certainly commonplace. I arrived at your question a decade ago and answered it definitively for myself five years ago when I quit rec.w in search of a moderated forum which would filter baseless personal attacks as they claim they will. I haven't found such a forum yet, thus the killfile. I glanced back at rec.w one day a year after leaving it, and saw rec.w's coffin nail, for me, in Paul's comment to Brian. If it were just one comment, or one guy, I'd ignore it, but it's pandemic in the online left.

You'll all be glad to hear that iW will soon change forum formats altogether and the new system will include a killfile function. You will be able to effect, not just ineffectively shout, "STFU".
mogunn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A never ending soliloquy...

Shocked

swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo, I love how your library of fine cartoons always tell a story. As we all go round and round, they remain very fresh and to the point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: