myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
My first time out was a success!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buddha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: My first time out was a success! Reply with quote

I joined the SDWA and rented a board and went to Mission Bay near the Hilton. I was not sure if I had to launch from the peninsula out by the point so I basically stayed in the little cove next to the parking lot.

I rented the beginner board from the club which was a Starboard Start with a 3.5 sail.

Since it was my first time in over 25 years I decided to play it safe. After looking at a few videos and a very detailed tutorial http://www.uswindsurfing.org/Lessons/Pages/Lesson1/L1S2.html

I felt educated enough to give it a try. I know how to sail so that certainly helped.

I got up with no problems but the board it seemed could only sail on a beam reach or 90 degrees to the wind. Several times I had to walk the board over to a more favorable spot just so I would be able to sail a little while before I had to tack.

Honestly, I think I needed a bigger sail and will try the intermediate board next which is a Starboard GO and they have a 5.5 sail there.

Also I will sail around over by the peninsula as the area I sailed was too confining.

I really enjoyed it and I can see that it is probably better to rent a board for awhile until I know what to get and my skill level improves.

Overall though I really had a great time!!

Not as addicting as golf yet though!!!!
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: WS Addiction Reply with quote

Hi Buddha,

Keep going, keep going. You were probably not addicted to golf your first time out on the course.

When you are out in 20 knots of wind and planing in the straps and in control going about 24 knots, you will get a rush that will lead to addiction. Even if it is only on beam reaches.

Windward1
buddha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: WS Addiction Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Hi Buddha,

Keep going, keep going. You were probably not addicted to golf your first time out on the course.

When you are out in 20 knots of wind and planing in the straps and in control going about 24 knots, you will get a rush that will lead to addiction. Even if it is only on beam reaches.

Windward1

Funny story is that I hated golf for a long while!

Can the better windsurfing boards sail closer to the wind? How close can they sail?
ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: some links you may find helpful Reply with quote

boardseeker.com technique section

http://www.guycribb.com/

http://www.continentseven.com

http://www.windsport.com/

http://windsurfingmag.com/

All of these have technique articles and there is more on the web if you search

Best source of training video's sideoff.com
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend staying with the Start (with centerboard) until you can fairly consistently sail out and back to your point of departure without having to walk the board back.

Having adequate wind and sail area can be part of this. My site has a tendency to surface currents that push a board inexorably downwind, even when the wind is truly feeble. Even a larger sail (like the 6.4 that I was sailing today) does not remedy this on my current board (which, like the Go, has no centerboard) if the wind is insufficient (much of today: 5 MPH, gust 7, lull 0). You need to be able to generate enough force to beat the downwind drift and currents.

My experience and skill level is not especially high, so weigh the above comments in light of that fact.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: WS Addiction Reply with quote

"Better" is a relative term when sailing "close to the wind". Windsurfers
really can't work as close hauled as a sail boat, but formula boards come
close. You don't want a formula board (yet). Having ridden a few formula
boards, I'm not a big fan, but even my wave boards will do better than 90
degrees with some coaxing. If you're powered, making way upwind is
relatively easy, and if not, a board with a daggerboard or centerboard
will get you upwind in pretty short order also. I can be 1 mile up wind
in about 5 fetches over a 1 mile fetch on wave gear. we could probably
calculate the geometry, but I bet thats about 60 degrees to the wind,
and with my freeride board and a big vert skeg, I can do much better
than that.

Every beginner has to walk back the first few times.

-Craig

buddha wrote:

Can the better windsurfing boards sail closer to the wind? How close can they sail?
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Pointing on Windsurfers Reply with quote

Hi Buddha,

Each type of windsurfer is different on its ability to point into the wind. You said that you had sailed so you probably are used to being able to get about a 45 degree angle into the wind as measured from the direction of the wind.

Formula board windsurfers can do that and go downwind well. They do not like beam reaches as much. Slalom boards and free-ride or fun boards are extremely good on a beam reach, but tough to point high or go straight downwind. Broad reaches can scream though. Wave boards take real technique to go to windward.

With your beginner boards you should be able to point at least about 60 degrees into the wind. Remember to cant the mast back to go upwind and cant it forward to go off the wind. Exactly how far depends on the course you wish to take. You are lining up the Center of Effort (CE) with the Center of Drag (CD) into a new balance. Once settled out they will always be in line with the wind direction.

You probably are ready for a larger sail, which should help. I would think the sail for the GO would also work on the board that you started with. Try a larger sail and see how you do.

San Diego can be wanting for wind, so get your basics in and then consider a trip to a warm climate with rental gear and lessons and wind to progress up to the really, really fun stuff.

Windward1
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My first time out was a success! Reply with quote

buddha wrote:

Overall though I really had a great time!!

Not as addicting as golf yet though!!!!

Once you get into the footstraps with all your weight on the harness lines, you'll be getting one of those license plate frames for your car that says "Golf is for those who don't windsurf".
They exist, I've seen them. Wink
buddha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsgrntlxmply wrote:
I'd recommend staying with the Start (with centerboard) until you can fairly consistently sail out and back to your point of departure without having to walk the board back.

Having adequate wind and sail area can be part of this. My site has a tendency to surface currents that push a board inexorably downwind, even when the wind is truly feeble. Even a larger sail (like the 6.4 that I was sailing today) does not remedy this on my current board (which, like the Go, has no centerboard) if the wind is insufficient (much of today: 5 MPH, gust 7, lull 0). You need to be able to generate enough force to beat the downwind drift and currents.

My experience and skill level is not especially high, so weigh the above comments in light of that fact.

I think you are right. I am going to stay with the Start board and try the 5.5 sail. I think it is harder to sail when there is not much wind and a small sail.
buddha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: WS Addiction Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
"Better" is a relative term when sailing "close to the wind". Windsurfers
really can't work as close hauled as a sail boat, but formula boards come
close. You don't want a formula board (yet). Having ridden a few formula
boards, I'm not a big fan, but even my wave boards will do better than 90
degrees with some coaxing. If you're powered, making way upwind is
relatively easy, and if not, a board with a daggerboard or centerboard
will get you upwind in pretty short order also. I can be 1 mile up wind
in about 5 fetches over a 1 mile fetch on wave gear. we could probably
calculate the geometry, but I bet thats about 60 degrees to the wind,
and with my freeride board and a big vert skeg, I can do much better
than that.

Every beginner has to walk back the first few times.

-Craig

buddha wrote:

I think the next skill I need to do is the water start. Right now I just climb onto the board and then lift the mast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: