myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
obamas freeloading aunt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MULLDE102f wrote:
we spend money on pointless things like... and looking after the poor

Some of your tax money went to pay mortgages for people who would have lost their 7-figure homes otherwise because, as one interviewee said, "I don't want to have to cash in my stocks to pay my mortgage". The interview was on broadcast TV, and the anchor and producer saw only a guy facing foreclosure, not a guy refusing to pay his mortgage. He qualified for poverty and thus mortgage relief because his earned income was under $88,000 per year; his investments are not considered in the criteria. For that son of a bitch and thousands like him, money was taken from every one of us at virtual, ultimately literal, gunpoint.

And you people want the government running even MORE of your lives? Fine ... move to Sweden or Germany and stop f-ing up our country.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Some of your tax money went to pay mortgages for people who would have lost their 7-figure homes otherwise because, as one interviewee said, "I don't want to have to cash in my stocks to pay my mortgage". The interview was on broadcast TV, and the anchor and producer saw only a guy facing foreclosure, not a guy refusing to pay his mortgage. He qualified for poverty and thus mortgage relief because his earned income was under $88,000 per year; his investments are not considered in the criteria. For that son of a bitch and thousands like him, money was taken from every one of us at virtual, ultimately literal, gunpoint.

And you people want the government running even MORE of your lives? Fine ... move to Sweden or Germany and stop f-ing up our country."

Predictably from isobars, at truly bent and simplistic view of things. No great surprise really.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars claims:
Quote:
we've spent FAR more on welfare (and education ... each ... ) than we've spent on the Iraq/Afghanistan war in the same time frame. Look it up.
Iso has it so wrong. Far more has been stolen by white collar criminals with a pen than armed robbers or welfare frauds. Let’s just look at a few ways that the financial institutions, or the Bush administration, has lost buckets of cash. Start here http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/feb/08/usa.iraq1 This article tells the story about how the United States sent $12 billion in cash to Iraq, essentially all of which has disappeared without a trace. If we wanted to stay on Iraq for a minute, we could also look at the Bush administration policies that insisted that all disbursements go through United States based businesses—like Haliburton. How much did that raise costs? For one contract, $160 million. http://articles.sfgate.com/2006-10-25/news/17316215_1_iraq-contracts-inspector
From the Department of State, http://fpc.state.gov/121681.htm, which reports $50 billion spent on reconstruction contracts. All major Republican contributors—Brown, Kellogg, Root—the usual suspects. 50% of that to overhead, and about 30% for security.
How about Madoff? Perhaps $50 billion according to Newsweek in December 2008.
The subprime loan scam? Some estimate the losses in equity to housing, savings and retirement accounts at upwards of $8.3 trillion.
How well paid are welfare recipients? In California, a single parent with two children generally must earn less than $14,436 per year to qualify, and becomes ineligible if their income reaches $20,000. As I understand the law, following the changes enacted while Clinton was president, the total allowable period for welfare is 5 years. Doesn’t even get a single child into kindergarten.
MULLDE102f

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're trying to avoid the real issues, Mike. The outrageous cost of the BS in Iraq (and currently, Afghanistan) completely eclipses the comparatively minor effects of the few people that game the system. I'm pretty sure that the scams on the military budget dwarf anything done on social programs.

By the way, you do realize that the VA benefits you use are a social program, don’t you?
MULLDE102f

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac, you type faster than me, and are more eloquent
mat-ty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the way you liberals always find a way to make some freeloader , or thug the victim.
Reminds me of the kid who killed his two parents, and then whined about being an orphan.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullde--thanks. I am actually a fiscal conservative, and do object to wasteful programs. I'm also a social libertarian. In a more rational world, that would make me close to a libertarian or a moderate Republican. But most of the moderates have been purged from the Republican party as RINO's, and the Republican's while in office completely abused the budget. Randy Duke is kind of the poster child. Now we have Sarah Palin as the posterchild for those who can't think with anything other than their d...s.

Isobars whole schtick is essentially bigotry. Certainly there is fraud, and it ought to be chased with cost-effective oversight. (An anti-fraud unit in Orange County has had to lay off its 15 workers due to budget cuts.) But the right uses this as code for words that it no longer dare say directly--but clearly the animus is directed at African-American and Hispanics. I teach poor kids, and the children of drug abusers come in all colors and income levels. They all deserve better parents, and something other than being scapegoats for the $8 trillion that was lost because of Republican de-regulators. Rovian politics.
MULLDE102f

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mac, I'm with you. I'm in the tax bracket that pays the most as a percentage of income, but what I'm outraged about is the distraction from the real costs of corporate subsidies, resource pillage to enrich a few, and the unacknowledged costs of sending our kids in their prime to die in a useless endeavor like Iraq, created by chickenhawks like GW and Mike to massage their own egos.

By the way, Mike, I’m a veteran, too. Unlike you, however, I served on a combat vessel and have a real experience of the costs of conflict. I hope that our country can find a way to appreciate the sacrifices of our young men and women in the services and value them enough to not allow them to die for futile purposes.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife (a physician) is just getting started treating some of the long term damage from these wars. The severity of the injuries sustained in this war are "off the charts" (her words) compared to wars of the past due to advances in trauma care.

Families suffer and collapse. This has not been widely reported, outside of the medical journals. Add this to the "we have to pay for this" column.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost to some of the best and brightest fighting the war about which the alleged justification was a sham, continues to take its tragic toll, and not just among the vets of Iraq. My wife tells me of the renewed PSTD symptoms suffered by Korean, Viet Nam and Gulf War vets who are exposed to the footage and horrible news that befall many caught in the steamroller of violence.

These are mostly guys who long ago appeared to come to terms with their own experiences only to relapse through absolutely no fault of their own. I cannot imagine how that must feel, especially for those who never found the appreciation from their country for which they were forced to fight.

How we entered the Iraq war is distasteful enough, but for Mike Fick to vilify the people who work to make the post-war lives better for our soldiers is disgraceful.

Mike, if you are such a nice guy in person, why not behave as such online?

Last edited by DanWeiss on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: