myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Quad fin Waveboards Worth the Hype?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esteban

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good belly laugh from your "zen of wavesailing"
tips!
cheers Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
rlemmens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried 2011 da curve quad in Baja last week, was a ton of fun. Jumped on single fin after. Like the quad more, although slidey off the top. I was pretty underpowered, but had lots of fun on the wave.
alain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: love the 95L quatro quad, waiting on 85L Reply with quote

resurecting this thread. I'm in Maui right now and first demoed a custom Quatro quad (83l, lots of V) which was not fun slogging on a 5.2 (I'm 200#) - very hard to get planning, sank the nose too much, but pure paradise the next day on big waves (logo to mast) OP on a 5.2. Even when slogging I was able to clear huge walls of white water like nothing I've tried...This was not the right board for me, and apparently very different from standard 85l quad - which I still haven't tried yet. Then demoed their 92L wave twin fin - very fast planning, but not much fun on the wave (hard to turn, bounced around). Then tried yesterday their 95L quad and this was a very sweat board - enough float for slogging on 5.8, cleared white water nicely and fast planning for a wave board. The most fun on the wave I had with a big board (I own a 92L JP real world wave for lighter days). I'm sold on that quad, and can't wait to try the 85L as my main board for the santa cruz coast (typically 4.7 for me)

What I liked: felt very solid going down the face of large waves (very confident), not super loose like some twin I've tried, but easily can slide at the top of the face (since fins are small) yet always feel like you got a grip even in white water mess, which isn't the case of my single fin boards.
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alain how about a report on the 85l Quatro quad you mentioned. Is it the production version?
esteban

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents worth-took out my new Fanatic quad 86TE at Waddell on a 4.7 and loved it, loose and turny on the waves, felt like it had more grip in the bottom turns when the wave was bumpy on the face. Back loops seemed easier to stick the landings though not sure why that would be...maybe the extra weight in the tail. With the four fins and their boxes the board does feel heavier when hefting it but that weight does not translate into a heavy feeling on the water. On the contrary the board feels light when sailing. Big fun and definitely seems like a better wave board than the twin or single fin wave boards I have sailed or own!
rowan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Twin fin holdout Reply with quote

I still dig my Goya twin fin setup. Maybe I am a little slow on the uptake or still stuck in 2010 but, they seem to work for me on the bay and especially on the coast. The wider, shorter, flatter rocker with more volume seem to do the trick and I get that surfy feeling I want in the waves and in the bigger swell. Anyone else feeling the twin fin love?
capetonian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Twin fin holdout Reply with quote

rowan wrote:
I still dig my Goya twin fin setup. Maybe I am a little slow on the uptake or still stuck in 2010 but, they seem to work for me on the bay and especially on the coast. The wider, shorter, flatter rocker with more volume seem to do the trick and I get that surfy feeling I want in the waves and in the bigger swell. Anyone else feeling the twin fin love?

Very happy with my RRD twin fin for making wavesailing in onshore conditions exciting again.
esteban

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the RRD 82 twin that I have it works super well in waves or at Rio, my recent post on the quad said "seems", not "is" for whether it was a better wave board...have to try them side by side and probably in the same size and brand range to get more certainty. So many variables in venue, rider style and technique as well. victor Fernandez the current wave world champ still says he sails his single fin when the conditions dictate but sure looks like he is on a quad in most of the fotos I see, as is JP...just received new WS mag with Robby Swift sailing huge Jaws on a quad...looks like a lot of world class wave riders are riding 3 or 4 fin boards these days, is it just a fad? Will we all go back to single fins one day or are gorge animal type boards with even more fins coming soon?
Jaipal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Cents. Quads are not a fad. They rip! You will never see serious wave riders switching back to singles. Ever.

It is not so much the extra fins but the accompanying change in rocker-line, width, length, and thickness that make them so good. Of course, those mods are allowed by the fin set-up - so it is the fins. Wink

I really sail one and only one place - Waddell. Everything from one-foot S to maxed winter NW is better on a quad. I am riding Quatro 95 and 85. The 95 feels like an 85 and the 85 feels like a 75. In fact, the 85 accelerates out of a bottom turn faster than any board I have ever owned. On the lay down the starboard fins are buried and port lifted - so there is not a lot of drag. Vice versa on the cutback. Just explosive. Keith Teboul's designs are artwork in motion. Again it has so much to do with the shape and how the whole package directs water over the fins in the turns.

When I switched from single to twin I thought the improvement was there. I can't exactly say it took me to the point where I'd say I'd never ride a single again, but when I switched from twin to quad the defining moment happened. People describe my sailing style as "violent" (Often because I am having major wipe-outs but that is another story.) And if violence can only be a good thing when it's between you and a wave, Keith's quads are setting me up to be "UltraViolent" and I feel the best I ever have.

Give quads a try in the waves and you'll be hooked.

-J
esteban

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet, see you soon at Waddell! gonna sail in the AWT event?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: