myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Quad fin Waveboards Worth the Hype?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insh8bl wrote:
If you need some airline miles for tickets or an upgrade just let me know. Very Happy

Dude, I need some miles. Can you spare 80k for 2 tickets to Maui? I'll even sail Hookipa for you.

Thanks, bra... Very Happy
esteban

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved my Hifly twin fins not so far back....I love my RRD wave twin 2010, now I gotta get a quad whats next , a "sex" fin config? they work, but when do all those extra fins ( drag) start to slow us down?
gerritt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes agree with Iso on a few topics, but this waves in the Gorge thing has to go. When the editor of windsurging magazine comes on the boards to state the magazine's position is there are no waves in the Gorge, its time to give it a rest.

Now back on topic:

All this discussion forced me to do something I would not have normally done last night. In lighter than optimal wind on a flood at Third, I rode a size smaller sail than I normally would and my 74 liter Quatro quad to see how it would do. Results, totally fucking fun! My swell riding (not waves Iso) was more tweaked and flowing than my single. Staying to weather was a bit of a pain, but I think it would have been similar while underpowered on my single 84 liter. As the wind slowly dropped, I came in after an hour and a half and went from a 4.7 to a 5.2 and again went out on my 74 liter quad. Most were using 5.8's or 6.0's at this point and around 90-100 liter boards. I was still able to get going and get some bodacious turns in before the wind finally puttered out and I puttered back in to the launch. Experiment can be rated a sucess! I think I am going to start putting my quad onto the bay more often. Of course it is always my preference in waves!

Iso - stop making excuses and take a trip to the coast next summer. You are retired and have loads of time, money, and I would expect skill to re-orient your riding and get some true DTL sailing in. Once you smack a real lip frontside, you will realize the Gorge is simply not a wave venue. This is coming from a person who loves flat water (with swell) nearly as much as waves and will not shy away from either.
MauiMakani

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, time for somebody to take the other side of the discussion.
Just so my thoughts don't get written off too quickly:
I have spent well over 100 days wavesailing Baja
Sail Maui at least 160 days a year for the past 25 years.
So here are my thoughts.
Quads are a huge improvement over twins.
I vastly prefer a good single fin over a quad.
Because of hull design, many single fin waveboards were dogs, which can make the flatter rocker in some of the quads look good, but a well designed hull like a Thommen will perform spectacularly with a single fin.
In side-by-side comparisons of a Thommen 83 vs quads from Quatro and Starboard:
The single fin created more lift, which made the board have more of a feeling of releasing out of the water onto a plane. This makes the board feel lighter, looser, and more lively. The quads felt more stuck to the water.
The quads felt like there was more drag, and this was confirmed by looking at the turbulence coming off the fins. I will believe that quads are fast when I see a winning high wind slalom board with quads.
On the wave, the single fin felt looser. while the quad felt like the fins were fighting each other, which they are, since they are each providing a different point of resistance in any given radius. The quads would hook a tight turn at slower speeds, but the faster the board was traveling, the more the fins fought each other. This could even be felt when jibing.
Like twins, the quads were more prone to sliding out off the top, while the single fin allowed a harder carve off the top, with more control over whether or not to release into a lip slide.
It is great that some people have found quads to their liking, but their are a lot of us that still feel that a single fin on a well designed hull is still the best performance tool.
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only think that I have noticed is the boards look very different.

Rails, outline, tail, lenght.

Anyone remember the "spoon", Z-booms, ART weird sails........Oh Well

Last edited by gregorvass on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekd wrote:
gregorvass wrote:
0:35 Sick Slash!

Yeah, way bad...was he using a quad?

NOP, Single Barrel. I think Richard Greene or Thommen, not sure.
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And after all that I came Across this:

http://www.neilpryde.com/index.php?option=com_npproducts&view=detail&layout=newlayout&id=32&Itemid=59

Both Kauli and JP are using Quads.........Oh, well what do I know?!?!?!?!
Trip out on JP's board: Dual Can-opener chop tail???? Now that is Interesting.

But Wait here is more:

http://surf.transworld.net/1000093504/features/surfboard-science-for-dummies-quads-101/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwrFwL9BebI&feature=fvw

1992: go to 0:44 Count the fins. Any ?????????

Weird Shit ??????
esteban

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered my RRD wave cult 83 quad, gotta get it for Baja and Tuba hope it lives up to the hype... I guess JP is convinced...what's Robby Naish riding these days?
Fins R us
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MauiMakani wrote:
Okay, time for somebody to take the other side of the discussion.
Just so my thoughts don't get written off too quickly:
I have spent well over 100 days wavesailing Baja
Sail Maui at least 160 days a year for the past 25 years.
So here are my thoughts.
Quads are a huge improvement over twins.
I vastly prefer a good single fin over a quad.
Because of hull design, many single fin waveboards were dogs, which can make the flatter rocker in some of the quads look good, but a well designed hull like a Thommen will perform spectacularly with a single fin.
In side-by-side comparisons of a Thommen 83 vs quads from Quatro and Starboard:
The single fin created more lift, which made the board have more of a feeling of releasing out of the water onto a plane. This makes the board feel lighter, looser, and more lively. The quads felt more stuck to the water.
The quads felt like there was more drag, and this was confirmed by looking at the turbulence coming off the fins. I will believe that quads are fast when I see a winning high wind slalom board with quads.
On the wave, the single fin felt looser. while the quad felt like the fins were fighting each other, which they are, since they are each providing a different point of resistance in any given radius. The quads would hook a tight turn at slower speeds, but the faster the board was traveling, the more the fins fought each other. This could even be felt when jibing.
Like twins, the quads were more prone to sliding out off the top, while the single fin allowed a harder carve off the top, with more control over whether or not to release into a lip slide.
It is great that some people have found quads to their liking, but their are a lot of us that still feel that a single fin on a well designed hull is still the best performance tool.

You won't get written off by this guy, been sailing (waves mostly) since the late 80's and I like to think that every new board that I have gotten, rides better than the one before. Never ridden a quad yet, though I'd like to try one, but I have tried a twinzer many years ago, liked it, but not enough to get one.
So I'm still on a single fin, but definately not in a rut.
My latest board has improved my wave sailing HUGELY over any other board I have ever gotten, I can't believe the improvment in all facets of being out in the surf, big or small, this board is unbelievable. I never like it when somebody would describe their board as "magic", I don't believe in "magic" boards, but this one comes as close as anything I've ever ridden.
It's the last edition of the Starboard "Pure Acid", single fin, 80L.

I was seriously in the market for a quad, until this board sorta ended up in my lap, sold to me cheap from a friend who quit sailing, the board is basically brand new. And while reading thru this thread, it was sounding like you all with quads were describing my Pure Acid 80. I'm too blown away by this board to even take a quad seriously anymore, but if this board were stolen or to break in half (where's some wood, knock, knock), then I'd go for the quad, but until then, I'm all stoke. Cool

It's too bad that Starboard doesn't make the "Pure Acid" anymore, it's been replaced with the Kode and the Quad. The Kode being more wave/freestyle, and the Quad being more strictly radical wave.
gerritt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode one of those LSD boards on Maui for a week about 4 years ago. It was a real sweet board indeed. Super super lite weight. So much so, that I wondered about it's durability should I ever buy one. Levi Siver of course rode it before moving to Quatro and now is a quad fan. As am I. If I were given a choice between the two - I'd go quad.

Rode the Tommen/Maui Project Boards (2 of them) for a few years. Super fast and nice, but not nearly as turny as any Quatro I ever rode. Quads are not even comparable. The quads probably are not quite as fast as Tommens, but the speed is very close. I never feel like the fins are "fighting" each other. They work very well to give you the grip you need - and shed eel grass which is very necessary here in CA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: