myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
La Paz taxi$

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drblanke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: La Paz taxi$ Reply with quote

Hi folks

If you go to the official cab stand at the La Paz airport today, how much is a taxi to La Ventana?

On the web I've seen a range of $60 to $120, which doesn't give me much confidence! So what is the real fare from the cab union?

Also, does the 7 AM bus from La Ventana to downtown La Paz run on Christmas eve (December 24th)? I've heard it is mainly used as a school route, so...

Thanks!
PAmuddog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this service:

http://saferideinbajasur.wetpaint.com/

I haven't used it yet but will this December as I've booked ground transpo from Cabo. I've been in contact with them via email and they are very responsive and rates are reasonable. I believe their base is in La Ventana. They have an early booking discount thru the end of September.

Hope this helps you out. Smile

BTW, the flight to Cabo plus the ground transportation was about the same price as the flight to LaPaz (not including LaPaz to LV transpo) Plus I get my first checked bag free on United into Cabo. AND it's a direct flight from SFO both ways so no customs and transfer BS in LA. Total travel time is about 1 hour less via Cabo.
drblanke

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the quick info! Hope to see you down there!

Luckily I'll already be in Mexico so the domestic flight to La Paz is nonstop and actually cheaper than to Cabo.

I've read about SafeRide. I'm a little wary on prebooking as I'm trying to sail same day as arrival. My (note non-SafeRide) experience with prebooked shuttles is that half the time you have to wait for the pick up, or they are there but then want to wait for a friend/employee/somebody on the next flight etc, and you can't bail because it is prepaid and you can't complain because then you'd be an *** Smile So you waste an hour or so that you could be sailing. Going to the cab stand seems like the fastest way to get to La Ventana.

Basically, I'm trying to budget taking a taxi (quick and expensive) there and then the bus (slow and cheap) back versus the cost of renting a car+liability insurance (with the inevitable delay at the rental counter).

Does anybody know the real taxi price and the status of the bus on holidays? I already know I'm going to get hosed on the car SLI Smile
windsrf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be quite interested in this service and hope users give reviews. My many experiences with car rental at Cabo is that you pay almost double the "published" rates when they force you to take the insurance. At the same time, given existing Mexican legal system (guilty until proven innocent, etc - although they are working on that I understand), going under-insured is probably way too risky.

Also, trying to transport gear on car roof is problem, can easily result in dents as cheaper cars never have roof racks.

Renting taxi from Cabo to LB used to be about $100 each way - and fairly easy. However, then you are stuck with no car in between.
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catch a $10 taxi ride to the Soriana shopping center. Then ask the first gringos you see if they are going back to La Ventana. 90% of the time they are and would be happy to give you a ride.

I have done this several times myself. Works perfect.

Plus once at Soriana and out of the overpriced airport taxi center you can get a normal taxi to LV for much cheaper.
esteban

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we use two taxi companies from La Paz to La Ventana,

Turispancho & Manny Manny tours- both have AC cars or van with professional drivers, licensed and insured- they will pick you up outside baggage claim and deliver you to where you are staying in La Ventana. then at end of your stay they will pick you up and take you back to airport. Round trip cost is $120-140 US for 2-3 pax and $10 extra per extra pax. You can pay a little less ( maybe $10-20 each way) if you get from airport to town and then take La Paz city taxis as Wyatt recommends but it will take more time and the quality of the taxi/ride is less consistent...!

www.ventanawindsports.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: