myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Someone took out Iranian nuke plant
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should have gotten Macs.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most interesting report I've seen on this so far is from Al Jazeera at
http://tinyurl.com/2adwlor

A couple of quotes:
• "Stuxnet is a working and fearsome prototype of a cyber-weapon that will lead to the creation of a new arms race in the world"
Kapersky Labs

• The Stuxnet "Trojan worm" was designed to attack industrial control systems ... spreads from USB devices ... can take control of the system ... and 60 per cent of the computers infected worldwide were in Iran. [Coincidence? Suuuuuure.]

Fingers of speculation are being pointed at Israel and the U.S., because this instrument's level of sophistication implies nation-state origin.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what they said about the LOve virus. It was the most destructive virus ever released at the time. The kid was a school dropout. He copied it out of a school book of viruses. There were no laws against it in his country so nothing happened.
He said he was sorry.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're going on record that Kapersky is blowing smoke up our USB ports? Wow ... I'm impressed.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapersky loves cyber attacks.
I have expressed no opinion so Iso is providing me with one, like they do on the radio.
The rest of us are still in the research phase.
If the nuclear control systems in Iran were online before, they sure never will be again.
Kinda wasted a weapon. Sorta amateur.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
I have expressed no opinion so Iso is providing me with one

Kinda wasted a weapon. Sorta amateur.

"Provided"? No just asking for clarification of your obvious implication. Thus my question mark.

On your second charge, against whomever did this, I think I'll let emerging global news determine the validity of employing cyber warfare and whether that's what really happened here. U.S. and Israeli military analysts concluded months ago that Israel was running out of time for a very risky military strike, and Israel recently made it very clear they would do whatever it would take to beat Iran to the punch even though the U.S. -- at least in public -- was apparently prepared to renege on its pact to stand by them.

Or that whole brouhaha could have been a red herring. Or maybe only the agency or nation behind this saw it coming. Lots if intriguing possibilities -- including no clarification for years to come -- surrounding a fascinating mystery with potentially global implications. We've known of the possibilities for years, but all I had seen in the media before recently was its potential application against U.S. infrastructure, not the free world's offensive posture being speculated in this case.

But if this incident unfolds as speculated by the experts, my 2 cents is that employing software to prevent a regional nuclear war with global potential isn't a waste at all, but rather a valid opportunity for proof of concept of the next generation of surgical, bloodless warfare.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This didn't do that but still it would have nice if it had. It did however warn the Iranis of the danger to their attempts to attack others,
giving them time to implement a simple fix-unplug their modem.
Always good to send your enemies a copy of the weapon in advance.
That doesn't sound like Israel to me.
When the Iranis hear from them I think it will be loud and final.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to have found some information far beyond the initial reports from Al Jazeera on the experts' speculations. Care to share some sources with us? Or does your continued insistence that this was done via the internet, despite the professional explanations to the contrary, verify that you have less, rather than more, information than AJ presented?
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More.
It did not infect the Nuke plants systems, it was found on some personal laptops.The plant was not running and could not have been shut down in any case by a problem on a laptop.
This was reported to be transmitted on the internet by servers in Denmark and elsewhere according to the AP
"The two computer servers controlling the malware were in Malaysia and Denmark, O Murchu said, but both were shut down after they were discovered by computer security experts earlier this summer."
"---But both O Murchu and U.S. government experts say there's no proof it was developed to target nuclear plants in Iran, despite recent speculation from some researchers.---
Al Jazeera does not use many experts. They are an extremist site. I helped do a video on Belize Reefs for them a few months ago. The guy was no expert.
He explained that AJ had little staff and mostly used stringers without regard to their expertise.This is how a tiny network in The Middle east can operate as a well known media site, but makes for inadequate reportage and fact checking.
You are welcome for the corrected info to your report.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like Fox..I don't got to show you no stinkin' facts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: