myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Implications of an La Nina winter for La Ventana/Baja winds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tstizzle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Arenal blows like a hooker, but has random bumps rather than sweet, organized swell

Mike \m/

true dat. it's more bumpy and lake-like. it's not that it's crazy or fluky wind at all, but rather the wind does not come straight down the lake. therefore, you get more chop from waves bouncing around and the shorter fetch.

it's not a place known for swell. but about every 10 days the wind changes direction for a day and the swell gets big and fun. not that 1 day in 10 is a reason to go looking for swell there...

but, of all the places i've sailed consistently (gorge, bay, baja, arenal, jericoacoara), it's got conditions closest to the gorge, which is why i like it so much. it feels like you're at dougs on a sweet evening sesh...

arenal13.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.88 KB
 Viewed:  5376 Time(s)

arenal13.jpg

ChrisHolz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisHolz wrote:
Thanks for all the responses and to Mike for a great overview.

When asking the question about la Nina winds I was thinking about what sail/kite size more than the question of Baja or not. Perhaps I have been lucky but all my trips (even last year's el Nino) to Baja have had plenty of windy days; averaging about 10 out of 14 days of vacation.

Just to clarify when I mentioned 10 out of 14 days this includes kiting and windsurfing. If windsurfing alone the average would be more like 5-7 out of 14 unless you are talking big board and +6M sail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: