myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Compare and contrast these boards (if you don't mind)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IBaKiteboarder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Compare and contrast these boards (if you don't mind) Reply with quote

I am planning to replace my early 2000's Mistral Flow 266 (93L) and would like some help in narrowing down my search. I sail in coastal NC in locations like Nags Head, Salvo/Frisco, Cape Lookout/Harkers/Radio Island mostly in bump and jump and flat water, but want to venture out into the ocean on occasion. I have tried two modern boards recently and can definitely see that they are way superior to my Flow (Goya 95 and a 2009 Exocet Cross 94). I made more jibes than ever on these and felt like I had great control in chop etc.

I place great value in early planing, easy jibing, and control as I live 3 hours from the coast and have to maximize the short amount of sailing time I get. I am putting less emphasis in speed than I used to, but to be honest I still like going really fast in flat water.

Here are the types of boards that I'm looking at... I would use it primarily with a 5.8 and 5.0 power wave sail...

Exocet Cross 95
JP Freestyle Wave 92
Goya One 94
Starboard Kode 94
Fanatic Freewave 95
RRD?

Can you provide feedback on which of these have the best combination of all-around handling for a wide variety of conditions? Or maybe describe some good or bad traits about them? Are these too wave oriented if I mostly sail B&J?

Thanks!
paulf.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put the list on a wall and throw a dart, you can't go wrong. all are power box so you should be all set on fins,, all are way shorter than your flow so will be harder to tack and schlog for a few times out. all have the mast track way farther back in the board, so if you are used to resting boom on the tail in waterstart youll have to learn how to fly the sail properly. this aspect may also require upgrade to more recent, upright sail design, depending on current vintage.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much agree with Paul above , dart board

your list:

Exocet Cross 95
JP Freestyle Wave 92
Goya One 94
Starboard Kode 94
Fanatic Freewave 95
RRD?

MY list:

GOYA ONE
Kode
Cross
RRD FSW/JP FSW
Fanatic

too tired for an essay answer YMMV

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
kmf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a test from Board Seeker mag. for the 2009 85 ltr. version of these boards, in which you can gleen the characteristics of each board. All will work, but Board seeker tends to be good for digging out the small differences in how each will handle.

http://www.boardseekermag.com/windsurfing-equipment-tests/freestyle-wave-overview-2009-112.html

KMF
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2009 is too old, to use as a reference

I disagree with 10Liters difference being comparable in the same board range.
My 87 /97 Liters Tabou 3S sssss

were quite different creatures

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/

Last edited by U2U2U2 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Compare and contrast these boards (if you don't mind) Reply with quote

I have Maui experience with the Goya One and the Kode.
As an all around board you can take in waves, you can't go wrong
with either. I might favor the Goya One, but only slightly.

-Craig

SeaSpray wrote:
I am planning to replace my early 2000's Mistral Flow 266 (93L) and would like some help in narrowing down my search. I sail in coastal NC in locations like Nags Head, Salvo/Frisco, Cape Lookout/Harkers/Radio Island mostly in bump and jump and flat water, but want to venture out into the ocean on occasion. I have tried two modern boards recently and can definitely see that they are way superior to my Flow (Goya 95 and a 2009 Exocet Cross 94). I made more jibes than ever on these and felt like I had great control in chop etc.

I place great value in early planing, easy jibing, and control as I live 3 hours from the coast and have to maximize the short amount of sailing time I get. I am putting less emphasis in speed than I used to, but to be honest I still like going really fast in flat water.

Here are the types of boards that I'm looking at... I would use it primarily with a 5.8 and 5.0 power wave sail...

Exocet Cross 95
JP Freestyle Wave 92
Goya One 94
Starboard Kode 94
Fanatic Freewave 95
RRD?

Can you provide feedback on which of these have the best combination of all-around handling for a wide variety of conditions? Or maybe describe some good or bad traits about them? Are these too wave oriented if I mostly sail B&J?

Thanks!
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't all this have to do with what YEAR each and every board is, since they change the shape slightly from year to year to enhance different things, and make other's worse.
My take...
RRD FSW should be the smoothest in rough waters.
JP the most lively feeling (have own a FSW from JP).
Fanatic the lightest and most responsive.
Exo might plane earliest due to widest tail behind rear straps.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Fanatic I mentioned is FSW, not the Freewaves.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the other boards, but the Starboard Kode 94 has an US box rather than a Powerbox fin configuration. Starboards don't use the Powerbox finbox design. It's either a US box or Tuttle, depending on board size.
kmf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 says

"2009 is too old, to use as a reference

I disagree with 10Liters difference being comparable in the same board range.
My 87 /97 Liters Tabou 3S sssss "

Of course a 94 litre board is going to be different than an 85 ltr. board. Duhh. But in a manufactures line of freestyle wave boards, the ride, and feel and the emphasis of the boards are going to be similar. Generally, RRD FSW boards are smooth and easy to ride, no matter what their volume. JP FSW boards are tuned to more performance, faster, quicker to plane, and a much more direct feeling to the board, a harder ride, no matter what the volume. Quatro boards are wave oriented rather than speed oriented. That is what one can get from the tests.
None of these boards has changed significantly in three years. They are all still aimed to be an all around board... in their particular displacement range....despite all of the ongoing marketing efforts to convince us otherwise.

KMF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: