myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
best car to carry gear?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcharlton wrote:
Thule Roof Racks turns about any car into a windsurfing vehicle. When it was time to let go of my Ford Explorer, I started looking at other beat up SUVs and then realized that my sails and booms could easily ride shotgun and the masts could fit through the 'ski hole' in the back seat of my sedan.

I've got to think any four seater will work. The racks work great and it's not an inconvenience to load my boards on and off it.

DC

Just be carefull, racks and straps fail and boards can easily fly off the roof at freeway speed (not pretty and you are liable for the damage or injury to the poor car behind you). This is one big reason why I got a minivan and put stuff inside.
Plus if you sail in salt water, the salt gets into the seams of the roof or rear window and rusts it out. I rusted out 2 nice cars that way.
With many wagons or SUVs you can recline the passenger seat, remove the headrest and put a board or 2 inside with sails and masts. Just tie the stuff down so it doesn't hit you if you stop suddenly.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't think that was a common occurrance. With racks properly installed and using tie down straps, it seems to be a pretty reliable way to transport boards.

I'm curious if others have had problems with boards flying off.
isobras

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure.
It's not a "common occurrence" in terms of percentages, but if the flying gear hits anyone or causes a wreck, as has happened, the results can be catastrophic and guess who's liable. I know many people whose gear has flown off on the highway, for many reasons from operator error to XTerra OEM rack structural failure, and the results weren't pretty.

I still think I saw two bagged longboards going the other way on the freeway which had been folded 180 degrees at the front tie-down strap due to several feet of board being cantilevered out in front of the windshield. They were on their way TO Corpus, so I'm guessing their vacation sucked. Short-spaced roof racks are just asking for trouble, and OEM SUV roof racks come with all kinds of warnings for three reasons: they're puny, the manufacturer knows it, and we're a litigious society. (Of course, if somebody's gear flies off his vehicle into another's windshield, it's sure as heck not the victim's fault, so somebody probably needs to be sued. In the last case like that I know of, the suit worked, but only until the guilty party skipped the state never to return.)
B737

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

similar to the F150 in this thread, only shrunk down to more compact size. will hold everything, 3 boards, 3 booms, 7 sails (4.2-8.5) and masts.

Fanatic Freewave 95l 240cm
wsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Honda Odyssey Reply with quote

Does anyone know the longest board that will fit in the Honda Odyssey with the front center console removed???
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it too much trouble for you to take a tape measure and figure it out?
My Honda Civics took an 8'9" surfboard, or 265 long sailboard, inside with an inch to spare.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he doesn't have the car handy. Lee, like maybe he's thinking of buying
one, and will have to go down to the dealer to measure.

-Craig

zirtaeb wrote:
Is it too much trouble for you to take a tape measure and figure it out?
My Honda Civics took an 8'9" surfboard, or 265 long sailboard, inside with an inch to spare.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've carried tapes and boards to dealers with me when buying everything from Subarus to Winnebagos. No one's complained yet.
fathomfathom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea

Last edited by fathomfathom on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Odyssey Reply with quote

wsurfer wrote:
Does anyone know the longest board that will fit in the Honda Odyssey with the front center console removed???

I think you mean between the 2 front seats, placed vertical ?

I would think 3000mm, 300cm ,118 " and 9foot 8425inches would be pretty close to optimum length if between the seats.

the platform behind the seats is 8foot long, with some extension under the passenger seat

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: