myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
best car to carry gear?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmax7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Car Reply with quote

I bought the GMC Outlook (previously known as Saturn) now GMC Acacia.

It drives fantastic, get 20 mph( has a 6 speed automatic), can now get great deals (specially the Saturn version), can take a passenger, and pack some boards, masts, booms, sails etc.

Have roof racks but not used much cause not sure if will stay on when I drive at 80mph going to the wind (just got a ticket don't recommend) with boards on top.

Tried shopping for a thule rack recently but they don't make it, any one have advice how I can custom some racks ? want a put my SUP on top and that will certainly fly off on factory racks.

By the way, have 80,000 miles and still have original tires...( I must drive so fast I glide, ha ha) . also I can sleep in the back very comfortably.

Great "crossover" ride, Max
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Reply with quote

madmax7 wrote:
... any one have advice how I can custom some racks ? want a put my SUP on top and that will certainly fly off on factory racks.

SEARCH the rack threads herein. It's been discussed at length recently.

Mike \m/
gronquist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: jetta tdi Reply with quote

My Jetta TDI, '03, got 49-52 mpg before putting on the racks and cargo box. That's bitchin, for a small diesel engine that needs no smog, no spark plug, and should last 500k - 1000k with good care. And the kicker is that it flies up the hill, even when loaded up with gear. Power with that car has been a pleasant suprise, to say the least....

I know the current Passat and Jetta's TDI's are not as great with mpg; probably because of larger engines. I think the '03 model nailed it. [/quote]
kmf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a Passit turbo wagon, black, on the freeway today. Hmm that looks like a nice car.

KMF
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised at the number of people favoring VWs. They, like all German cars, are generally rated quite low in reliability. I've ruled out all German cars for decades for that reason, plus on the advice of many owners and mechanics.

Mike
jayturcot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast forward 2 years, and hoping to get a updated set of opinions / options available.

Q: bga6418, any chance for an update on the vehicle you bought and how you like it?

I found this thread really helpful since I'm now in the same position, am considering the same family of vehicles (fuel efficient sport-wagons) and loved the opinions and options suggested. Moving to the Bay area in Sept, 2012 (pumed and stoked!).

The Mrs and I have survived until now with a 95 Chevy lumina sedan (2 boards on after market roof rack, sails / masts running up the middle, booms in the back seat), so any sportwagon will be a breeze by comparison Smile

Reqs:
- 2-3 boards <= 100L (with a passenger)
- Biggest sail will likely be 6.0-6.5
- Can install hitch for rear bike-rack
- AWD will be a plus / necessity, depending on the quality of plowing up at Tahoe (small highways for backcountry access)
- Gear on the roof is cool. Will probably have a Thule carrier for skis.

Edit (Feb, 2013):
Ended up getting a 2012 Subaru Outback. A bit more than the first post's price range. 5.7 + booms easily fit behind the driver/passenger seat. Masts up the middle no problem without obstructing the gear-shift (automatic). My 100L boards fit inside (folded down passenger seat). Can strap them roof when the Mrs. joins but I don't like the roof-rack.... will look at swapping it out with a Yakima 57" bar to get a wider spread.

AWD has been key already up at Tahoe despite the lack of snow this year... saved me mucking with chains 3 times already.

Last edited by jayturcot on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
carl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayturcot wrote:
- AWD will be a plus / necessity, depending on the quality of plowing up at Tahoe (small highways for backcountry access)
- Gear on the roof is cool. Will probably have a Thule carrier for skis.

AWD is recommended for Tahoe. It's not the quality of the plowing that
is an issue, Caltrans does a good job. It's the amount of snow they get up there, a big storm can dump 2-5 feet. It is very common to have MANDITORY chain controls for any vehicle except AWD or 4x4 with snow tires. Installing/removing/driving with those chains is a PITA.
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money is not a problem, right? Then.........

Sprinter.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.55 KB
 Viewed:  10792 Time(s)

Sprinter.jpg

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you have particular issues , like you need to get 30MPG

a mini van will hold " inside " the gear mentioned, bike rack, top or rear for othertimes

several make AWD versions

the alternative to me would be a pick up, 4X4 with a cap over the bed

any number of small station wagons like Subaru will have AWD but not hold the cargo inside WITH a passenger,
if you put pill it on the roof your are than in the same MPG as a mini van.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thule Roof Racks turns about any car into a windsurfing vehicle. When it was time to let go of my Ford Explorer, I started looking at other beat up SUVs and then realized that my sails and booms could easily ride shotgun and the masts could fit through the 'ski hole' in the back seat of my sedan.

I've got to think any four seater will work. The racks work great and it's not an inconvenience to load my boards on and off it.

DC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: