myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
best car to carry gear?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bga6418

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: best car to carry gear? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Looking to buy a new car (under $20-22K). What is the best one to carry WS gear?

I was looking for Mazda3 hatchback. Anyone has it and is not satisfied?

Thanks
upwind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Mazda 3. I test drove one and couldn't believe how fast it was.

Last edited by upwind on Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
killeen_john

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: best car to carry gear? Reply with quote

bga6418 wrote:

I really like my 2007 Mazda3 hatchback. It's a nice compromise between being compact for crowded cities, fun to drive, and still very practical to carry gear. Can't compare with a minivan, but I'm still amazed at how much stuff I can squeeze into this little car. I can fit a 520 mast and 11.0 sail diagonally between drivers side of hatch running between front seats and resting on passenger side dash (likely interferes with airbags) while still having room for my wife in the front passenger seat. Smaller sails such as my 9.0 and 490 mast fit even better without infringing on the dash. I used to keep a Bic Techno 148 (264 X 75) inside the car along with 7.5 and 9.0 rigs however front passenger seat had to be fully reclined and this is my only complaint. I would prefer if the front passenger seat could fold forward and flat like other cars. I also have Thule racks with the longer 58" load bars to carry my Laser sailboat, kayaks, or Formula board.

Hope this helps.
bga6418

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: best car to carry gear? Reply with quote

killeen_john wrote:
bga6418 wrote:

I really like my 2007 Mazda3 hatchback. It's a nice compromise between being compact for crowded cities, fun to drive, and still very practical to carry gear. Can't compare with a minivan, but I'm still amazed at how much stuff I can squeeze into this little car. I can fit a 520 mast and 11.0 sail diagonally between drivers side of hatch running between front seats and resting on passenger side dash (likely interferes with airbags) while still having room for my wife in the front passenger seat. Smaller sails such as my 9.0 and 490 mast fit even better without infringing on the dash. I used to keep a Bic Techno 148 (264 X 75) inside the car along with 7.5 and 9.0 rigs however front passenger seat had to be fully reclined and this is my only complaint. I would prefer if the front passenger seat could fold forward and flat like other cars. I also have Thule racks with the longer 58" load bars to carry my Laser sailboat, kayaks, or Formula board.

Hope this helps.

Do you have thule towers? What kind (do they use the slot in the roof or hang outside between roof and the door)? Do you know the distance between 2 thule bars?
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obvious question here is what kind of gear do you plan to carry. Do you plan to carry on the roof, or do you require that everything you require for a day of sailing fit inside.

Personally, for security reasons, everything must fit inside, otherwise I take the van.

I have an older Honda Civic Wagon that I can get two boards and three sails etc, etc, inside and close the hatch. But I have all newer gear and rarely take anything bigger that 95 liters. ( I weigh 155).

My requirements when I bought this car were; back seat folds completely flat. Front seat either folds completely flat or reclines flat, and that there is enough room to get my masts, sails etc inside without blocking my vision.

Ultimately this required me to carry along a board and mast and tape measure to the car dealer to confirm that the auto would work.

I was looking at a guy's Prius the other day at the Event Site, he said that he could get something ten feet long inside. Wow. It might be worth looking at a Prius more carefully.

Good luck.

KMF
geohey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a new car: Jetta TDI Wagon. Excellent MPG (40+ hwy), no battteries to replace after 100K like prius, and lots of room for gear etc inside and on top.
killeen_john

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: best car to carry gear? Reply with quote

bga6418 wrote:

Do you have thule towers? What kind (do they use the slot in the roof or hang outside between roof and the door)? Do you know the distance between 2 thule bars?

My 2007 Mazda3 has factory installed roof rack mounting points (aka "Fix Points") below the plastic roof rails and works with the Thule 460 Podium Foot Pack and 3069 Fit Kit. The distance between the roof racks is 28 inches. I attach my kayak bow tie downs to a removable tow hook and stern tie downs to a trailer hitch that I installed.

I can't find the Thule instructions online for the fit kit, but the following forum posting illustrates how the racks attach:

http://www.mazda3club.com/showthread.php?p=412841
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my '09 Honda Fit for 2 years now. If it is just you, and no passengers, it is amazing how much gear you can fit it. I have racks, but I rarely use them. 32 city 42 Hwy is what I have been getting.

The only gripe is that I wish the 60/40 backseat spit was the other way around. It would be easier to carry it all and have the option of bringing a friend.
chophop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the best windsurf car is not a car, it is a Van or Minivan, but many do not wish to take the image hit in driving one.
I love my 07 Honda Ody. You can put 4 boards, 6 sails, 5 masts and 2 booms inside with no sweat and it is fast and handles well. Smile
rlemmens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Ford transit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: