myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Help protect public beach users....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windbetty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Help protect public beach users.... Reply with quote

FUNDRAISING BBQ THIS SAT 9/18 at "the shack" 12noon:

In the spirit of bringing the community together to:
- help Luz's family (young girl hurt by kiter in Alameda on Sat 8/28 who needed 9 stitches under her nose and has no medical insurance) with medical bills at Oakland's Children's Hospital
- raise awareness of kiting safety guidelines to help to protect public beach users

We (and community volunteers David, Yvonne, Robert, and Greg) are hosting a BBQ at "the shack" this weekend:
where: "the shack" Crown Beach Alameda
directions here>
http://boardsportsschool.com/weather/lo ... o/alameda/
when: Saturday 9/18
what time: 12noon
minimum donation: $25 (if you already donated online through the paypal account set up by David Lyon at smallworldalameda@gmail.com, please join us without additional donation if you wish)

100% of all PROCEEDS from this BBQ will go to the Oakland Children's Hospital to help Luz's family with the outstanding medical bills. Any additional funds raised (beyond Luz's bills that some community members will help to negotiate down when total hospital bill is tallied) will be donated to the Oakland Children's Hospital Foundation.
http://www.childrenshospitaloakland.org ... erview.asp

We will provide all the food and host the following additional events to help raise funds:
-self rescue clinic
-beach safety guidelines clinic
-stand up paddle boards and kayaks for use during bbq
-raffle of any contributed items (bring any odd items you wish to raffle off to help raise funds)

Please join us in Alameda this Saturday in the spirit of promoting responsible kiting around the bay and beyond.
Jane

--
Boardsports School & Shop
Alameda - San Mateo - San Francisco
Voted "Best of the Bay"
http://www.BoardsportsSchool.com
BoardsportsSchool
NickB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of inhuman detritus would ask iW to censor an appeal to help the victim of a cowardly and reckless public beach user? What am I not understanding about this incident?

Mike \m/
jkayes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you talking about, Mike?
NickB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone really did that? Or did you misunderstand the term "bump"?

Turnout seemed good to me, with many kiters & windsurfers still there when I left after 2pm. The little girl and some of her family came over, she seemed fine and was smiling.

I'll let the fundraiser organizers comment, but from what I heard the community raised enough (since the accident till today) to cover the hospital bill, or very close to that.

Last edited by NickB on Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Help protect public beach users.... Reply with quote

"100% of all PROCEEDS from this BBQ will go to the Oakland Children's Hospital to help Luz's family with the outstanding medical bills. Any additional funds raised (beyond Luz's bills that some community members will help to negotiate down when total hospital bill is tallied) will be donated to the Oakland Children's Hospital Foundation."

The surplus $$$ going to the OCHF sounds noble and everything, and if there wasn't an outstanding perp out there somewhere, I'd say great!

But in this case, I think any surplus $$$ should go towards a reward of ID'ing the perp (as mentioned before in a similar thread). That would go farther towards accomplishing the title of this thread.
Otherwise, the title of this thread makes little sense.
Just MHO.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkayes wrote:
What are you talking about, Mike?

We recently had a whole thread on the term, "Bump", in which it not only equated "bump" and "censor", but explicitly referred to an iW moderator censoring a thread just because it didn't interest him. Worse yet, neither that moderator nor anyone else could/would explain why/how censoring promoted freedom, as they claimed it did

See http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20832 .

How else should/could we have interpreted it?

I'm glad to see that Nick meant something else, whatever it may have been.

Mike \m/
jkayes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have assumed that "bump" was there just get the thread into a top 3 position so it got more visibility, but what do I know? Given the level of discourse on these fora, I would expect "censor this" to equal "get this crap out of my sight". But I'm glad that we all seem to be on the same page that this is worthy cause to support.
mogunn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

We recently had a whole thread on the term, "Bump", in which it not only equated "bump" and "censor"...How else should/could we have interpreted it?

From Wikipedia (Mikie loves Wikipedia)
Quote:
To bump a thread on an Internet forum is to post a reply to it purely in order to raise the thread's profile. This will typically return it to the top of the list of active threads. It has been suggested that "bump" is an acronym of "bring up my post", however this is almost certainly a backronym and the usage is entirely consistent with the verb "bump" which means "To knock to a new position".

Mike, stop polluting serious threads with your self-centered nonsense!

Last edited by mogunn on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
mogunn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help protect public beach users.... Reply with quote

bump!
jccormier wrote:
FUNDRAISING BBQ THIS SAT 9/18 at "the shack" 12noon:

In the spirit of bringing the community together to:
- help Luz's family (young girl hurt by kiter in Alameda on Sat 8/28 who needed 9 stitches under her nose and has no medical insurance) with medical bills at Oakland's Children's Hospital
- raise awareness of kiting safety guidelines to help to protect public beach users

We (and community volunteers David, Yvonne, Robert, and Greg) are hosting a BBQ at "the shack" this weekend:
where: "the shack" Crown Beach Alameda
directions here>
http://boardsportsschool.com/weather/lo ... o/alameda/
when: Saturday 9/18
what time: 12noon
minimum donation: $25 (if you already donated online through the paypal account set up by David Lyon at smallworldalameda@gmail.com, please join us without additional donation if you wish)

100% of all PROCEEDS from this BBQ will go to the Oakland Children's Hospital to help Luz's family with the outstanding medical bills. Any additional funds raised (beyond Luz's bills that some community members will help to negotiate down when total hospital bill is tallied) will be donated to the Oakland Children's Hospital Foundation.
http://www.childrenshospitaloakland.org ... erview.asp

We will provide all the food and host the following additional events to help raise funds:
-self rescue clinic
-beach safety guidelines clinic
-stand up paddle boards and kayaks for use during bbq
-raffle of any contributed items (bring any odd items you wish to raffle off to help raise funds)

Please join us in Alameda this Saturday in the spirit of promoting responsible kiting around the bay and beyond.
Jane

--
Boardsports School & Shop
Alameda - San Mateo - San Francisco
Voted "Best of the Bay"
http://www.BoardsportsSchool.com
BoardsportsSchool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: