myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Thanksgiving this Weekend on Cape Cod
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Thanksgiving this Weekend on Cape Cod Reply with quote

I have a lot to be thankful for.

1. Earl’s leftovers delivered a mighty fine 5.0 solo session today right in my backyard. OK, it’s not my backyard but less than 5 minutes if the one light is green. Effing close enough!
2. True Ames for the Surfgrass fin bought last fall. Sailing in CC Bay on Labor Day weekend is a guaranteed weed event. Why I waited so long is a testimony to my ignorance.
3. Windsurfing Magazine for giving me a tip on how to fix a traditional A-Base fin. I’ve never had to fix one, but that is a tip that will never be forgotten.
4. Windsurfing Mag’s Josh Sampiero for editorializing about sailing ancient gear. Even though his $20 Gorge special seemed to have come up short. What I got out of it is sailing is sailing. Be kind to the have nots, because they represent about half the population.
5. Being happy with what I got. Man what a year for bills, I feel like I’m poorer than a church mouse. My old Doug Haut doesn’t owe me one thin dime; and once again it delivered pure joy. Sailing into the sun with the whole playground looking pure silver - how cool is that!

RC
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a day. Like Ron, a 5.0 was the call for wave sailing at Quansoo. As the late morning turned to afternoon the wind really picked up and I could have used a 4.5 except on the inside. It all ended rather ignominiously when my rear strap pulled from the plug during a mighty fun cutback. My leg swung free and I fell at the bottom of the wave and took it and my board right in the face. Didn't hurt the body as much as my ego, and I knew right away that I was in for a heavy swim to catch my gear.

Still, one awesome day. For that I am thankful.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best sailing day I had this summer!!! Much thanks!!!
See "Revenge" post for pic's... http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=138683#138683

speedysailor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through the afternoon it was blowing upwards to 35 m.p.h. in very gusty conditions, but averaging between 17 and 22. I used a 6.0 sail with lots of downhaul. The board I was finally able to take out of the bag, was my Hi-tech old-style glass. The trouble with these boards, if you have been sailing the new ones, would be that they are narrow. This requires an adjustment in technique when it comes to balance. The wide ones with the volume underfoot are easier to control, plain and simple. Nevertheless, I do think the older boards have their advantages. Being overpowered in the gusts, I was sailing reaches definitely off the fin. This makes wave negotiation trickier. Wacko bay has become a lot more eutrophic since I first windsurfed there some twenty years ago. Weeders are required now. Consequently, this adds somewhat to the difficulties of sailing. I'm starting to think that these weeders work better with wide tails. I had some trouble keeping the windward rail down when overpowered for instance. On top of that upwind ability diminishes with the narrow tailed hulls. Otherwise, these glass boards stick to the water better than the newer lighter ones and the thin narrow profiles make the speed sailing a pure joy as Ron so aptly described.
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
Through the afternoon it was blowing upwards to 35 m.p.h. in very gusty conditions, but averaging between 17 and 22. I used a 6.0 sail with lots of downhaul. The board I was finally able to take out of the bag, was my Hi-tech old-style glass. The trouble with these boards, if you have been sailing the new ones, would be that they are narrow. This requires an adjustment in technique when it comes to balance. The wide ones with the volume underfoot are easier to control, plain and simple. Nevertheless, I do think the older boards have their advantages. Being overpowered in the gusts, I was sailing reaches definitely off the fin. This makes wave negotiation trickier. Wacko bay has become a lot more eutrophic since I first windsurfed there some twenty years ago. Weeders are required now. Consequently, this adds somewhat to the difficulties of sailing. I'm starting to think that these weeders work better with wide tails. I had some trouble keeping the windward rail down when overpowered for instance. On top of that upwind ability diminishes with the narrow tailed hulls. Otherwise, these glass boards stick to the water better than the newer lighter ones and the thin narrow profiles make the speed sailing a pure joy as Ron so aptly described.

"Wacko bay has become a lot more eutrophic..."

Brucie, have you become a lot more eutrophic? Rolling Eyes
jdwind29

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best sailing i ever had in dennis. on a 3.7, on sat. sunday was a 4.5 day , but was lacking gas to hold on to the boom. tues, and wed look good. just happy to get some real wind Laughing
jdwind29

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im very confussed about the whole fin issue. they say a smaller fin in the heavy chop, and tried it but my tail keeps hydroplanning. my nose is up in the air and im skirting across the water with just the tail of the board. i cannot sail a small fin.. but why. am i putting to much pressure on my back foot? thats the way i sail.
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD,
I don't know what you are doing, but it doesn't sound good.

Too much fin will make the board lift, but so will loading the fin with the back foot.

I bet the issue is keeping your knees bent like mogul skiing...lotsa folks start pulling back when they get overpowered, and if you don't bend the knees you get into the rail-up.

Even in the Revenge thread photos i see myself doing same,....I was on 5.0, and shoulda been on 4.2

jdwind29

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People say im riding my rear foot to hard, i guess i have to bend my knees like you say. also shortening my harness lines may give me a little more knee play. when im over powered i locked in tight. thats when it happens. i'll try bending the knees. thanks out.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdwind,
Sounds like your board/rig setup is out of balance, and trying a smaller fin caused this to be even more noticeable. Too much back foot pressure tells me the pull of the sail (called "center of effort" or COE) is too aft to balance out with your strap placement. To balance things out better you can try any of the following by itself or in combination:

- More downhaul on sail to make it more stable and keep COE forward, if you think your sail needs this. (Does your back arm load up in the gusts?--if so then more downhaul should help. And with more downhaul be sure to pull on the outhaul too)

- Move the boom height lower (try in 1/4" increments)

- Move fin more aft in the box (if have adjustable box, try in 1/4" increments)

- Move your strap positions more aft, or maybe just the rear one. (This may speed up the board as a side effect though...but then again if you are in correct balance that will make the handling of the board in the water so much easier.)

Let us know what you find out. Once you get things better balanced out then you can try playing with different fin sizes again. Hopefully we'll get some more great winds soon for you to try.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: