myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fishing Net Blocking 1/2 or Rowena Launch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
northwave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Fishing Net Blocking 1/2 or Rowena Launch Reply with quote

Careful sailors, the Native American fishing net is blocking the west side of the Rowena launch, from the property line to 1/2 the launch East.

Sail safe!
jota

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the cove at the wall. People were getting caught today, it's a bitch getting out past it and seems dangerous when you're getting caught up in it.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I arrived at Rowena yesterday and observed a several hundred foot fishing net spread across the launch I was shocked and angered. This looked to me to be a clear provocation and act of disregard for the rest of us who use the park for windsurfing. I also noted several large dead and gutted salmon stinking up the beach.

Then some friends reminded me that the Native Americans have every right to lay thier nets wherever they want on the river and that they have been fishing The Columbia for centuries and we have to be tolerant.

So... I reconsidered my perspecitve.... AND I STILL THINK THAT THIS IS A CLEAR ACT OF INCONSIDERATE PROVOCATION! WTF!

SeaTurtle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fishing Net Blocking 1/2 or Rowena Launch Reply with quote

northwave wrote:
Careful sailors, the Native American fishing net is blocking the west side of the Rowena launch, from the property line to 1/2 the launch East.

Sail safe!

Thanks for the heads up. So what can be done about it? This is bad news!!
ldhr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically - the best launch sites also make for the best net sites. I've noticed that the back eddies and coves favored for launching are also favored sites for nets.
I've been going to the Wall for 20 years and the nets have always been there in late August - October. Consider Rufus or the other 1/2 dozen launches between Peach Beach and the dam as an alternative.
The native fisherman were definitely here first.
Rowena is a big launch. It shouldn't be a problem to only have 1/2 the launch available.
jota

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful at the wall though - the nets are a strong monofilament and they drift downriver underwater from the visible string of floats on the surface. Sailors were getting their feet and harnesses tangled and it can be scary, if not dangerous, to suddenly feel netting grabbing and wrapping you.

I imagine the nets are getting torn up as well.
jesusjones

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hog wash? Civil suit? Call me, pick up the receiver I'll make you a believer! The feds get sued mo fockers. : Wink: Let em try to kill us. : twisted: F the Gov mo FO’s NOW. Very Happy. Twisted Evil If I die as martyr...please try to look into it! They don't like some. I meant a farter, did I say.....OH. Please don’t look into it now! I will be on horseback in………someone’s comin. Stupid huh!

PEACE OUT.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.59 KB
 Viewed:  12301 Time(s)

PEACE OUT.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: